Sign in to follow this  
Syfer420

why do some bass have spots?

that one was from a big lake this is from a small pond, why is he lighter green that fades to white with no spots???

post-6181-130163005771_thumb.jpg

Picture #1: clear water

Picture #2: stained water

The bass' outward appearance changes with it's surrounding environment much like a chameleon but not so drastic.

Black backs, green backs, diamond pattern on the side or not, white belly, gold belly,...all different signs as to where the bass came from.

Tricky buggers but they change to blend in better for whatever they are doing down there.

That same white bass can be caught tomorrow in a different area and look totally different.

I was watching Bill Dance yesterday and I swear wherever he was fishing the fished looked like they were almost blue on top.  :o I know they weren't but they were but they were a weird shade of green. Pretty intersting stuff.

Even seen one that was a "coffee with cream" color out of MUDDY water.  All the markings were there... just in browns and tans :o.

kb here and some i cought with big black spots on them  big as a silver dollar and they tell me its pigmation   if thats a word kb :P

Look at this one, it 's spotted and silverish:

post-369-130163005773_thumb.jpg

Raul, I couldn't help but notice that interesting backdrop!!!

I was watching Bill Dance yesterday and I swear wherever he was fishing the fished looked like they were almost blue on top.

Yah, they put so much phophate fertilizer in Bill's ponds, the bass are turning blue ::) ;D ::)

Roger

LBH is right on the money! Bass change color due to first the pigments in the skin of these fish are very sensative to ultra violet light and will cahnge very rapidly. The scales themselves refract light differently depending on the color of the suroundings. One more adaptation that has made fish like these the top of the food chain in many enviroments in fresh water. The lMB is one of the most remarkable fish in North America due to its ability to adapt to nearly any situation it is faced with. They are truly amazing animals.

With good light their patterns show up well, with light enviroments and stained water the bass will be light in color, like Raul's fish. And with clear water it wil appear more like Syfer's.

LBH is spot on when he said that these fish can change color in a matter of minutes! As a matter of fact the most dominate predator fish all share this characteristic. I love biology!

Just like a DORADO(Dolphin fish or Mahi Mahi as they are called). They change colors from when you have em in the water. In the water they are a brilliant blue and yellow but once you land em their colors fade and they become a bland color.

Look at this one, it 's spotted and silverish:

raul  kb here    there silver because there is no shade in mexico  kb ;)

Largemouth Bass from extensive aquatic waters like Florida are darker in color to blend in with the shade from cover that they so much have,  sometimes almost black.  Bass from less aquatic waters like Kentucky Lake have a medium shade as most largemouths are seen in.  The very light bass in the picture came from deep water recently.  Bass that have been in deep water long enough are very light in color and pattern is difficult to see almost, no shadows were present where they came from, silver (or grey) is most difficult to see from deep water.  This is why the color red is red until after about 5-8 ft, then the color of red goes to grey.   As for the bass that may have black spots about a half dollar size that can be found anywhere around the body (I have seen the spot on the jaw-line at times), this means that the bass is in prespawn or coming out of prespawn.  I have found that in early prespawn the spot is nearer the tail and in later prespawn the spot is nearer the head.  Search the internet for more in depth answers.

what do you mean by "aquatic waters"?  :-?

??

In my lake, you can catch them in all color variations.  Diamonds, no diamonds, black backs, light backs, gold bellies and white.  Depends where they were sitting and what they were doing.

As to how fast they can change, put a vibrantly colored fish in your livewell and check him out in 10 minutes.  May not be drastic, but you will see a difference.

Bass best-By I think by "spots", he was reffering to the diamond patterning.

I can't believe I let that one get by me.  Aquatic waters??  I was trying to use that 9 million dollar word for grass.  

As for the lateral pattern I don't know why some are more blotchy rather than smooth.  I just know in my "aquatic lake" :)  a bass that spends a while in deep water will be very light.   We don't have the black backs mostly from a shortage of grass.  

We have many spotted bass/LM bass crosses that could cause a blotchy line in what looks like a LM,  

I really ain't worried as long as I catch'em over 15".