Sign in to follow this  
roadwarrior

Must Have for 2009: 10" Anaconda

These came out last fall and were an immediate hit.

I highly recommend the Anaconda:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102852____SearchResults?ordProd=Y&CMID=BOTTOM_selectitems

8-)

Finally talked the ladies at my local bait shop into ordering some Rage Tail products (despite the business being for sale...anyone want a cheap bait shop near the water?). They said the lobsters, lizards, and 10" anacondas were on backorder from bps so I bought a couple pack of the 7"

They are great baits.  I fished mine on a Matzuo 5/0 long offset worm hook.  It's about 1/2" longer than the Gamakatsu.  This year I plan on trying a 7/0 Gamakatsu EWG.  I've got big expectations for this bait.  

Excellent worm! I have yet to use the 7" but the 10" has put numerous nice fish in the boat!! I T-rig it with a screw-in tungsten weight and a 5/0 Gamakatsu EWG. That worm just doesn't sit still!

The 10' work great with the 7/0 Owner hooks. I caught quite a few nice size bass with the Anacondas last fall.

Greg Hackney Set A New Heavyweight Record With The Rage Tail Anaconda at Falcon Lake in a November FLW Tournament.

Its all about the FrogTogs, Smart Shield sunblock,  and the Color C Lector.

Oh wait, thats Roland Martin's fishing infomercial, this is Bassresource's. ;)

On the Red side I tend to like Redbug because I have tested it against Plum when Plum is the proven color on one body of water and stayed neck'n'neck with it. What redbug gives me is two shades darker color leaning to red and green and sometimes it is THE ticket.

Big Tex has everything wrapped into one....one side is Black/neon which is black w/red flake and other side is deep peanut butter brown w/orange and green flake. I like it as well as anything for a variety of water color and clarities.

Hard to beat green pumpkin anytime and there are several different color schemes off of this like one of the two colors that Greg Hackney used at Falcon to set the record, it was BamaBug which is green pumpkin one side and green flake on the other.

Red Shad is popular too as is Watermelon Red. Heck, I guess I like most all of them at different times depending on the water and the day.

Please don't underestimate the 5/0 to 6/0 keel weighted hook slow swim presentation in any depth of water. It is a slow and tedious process but worth learning. Most bodies of water have never seen this technique ever before and the fish are telling me that more and more.

Hope when you pick your colors, you slam the Monster you're lookin' for....after all aint that what it's all about. ;)

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Please don't underestimate the 5/0 to 6/0 keel weighted hook slow swim presentation in any depth of water. It is a slow and tedious process but worth learning. Most bodies of water have never seen this technique ever before and the fish are telling me that more and more.

Big O

www.ragetail.com

A regular swimbait hook?

;D

I thought you were talking about a Colt 44 Magnum Revolver with a 10" barrel..........

Then I relized....THIS A FISHING FORUM...  my mistake. ;)

Big O

www.ragetail.com

A regular swimbait hook?

I don't know why I haven't tried this yet. Got a couple of strikes on it just reeling it in back to shore! Thanks! ;)

Yes Micro, any swimbait hook will suffice just make sure it is 5/0 min. The action of the Anaconda illustrated on this video is with a 3/16 oz SB Hook.    http://ragetail.com/images/RAGE_TAIL_NEXT_GEN.wmv

Big O

www.ragetail.com

I actually already have some 7/0 Gamakatsu EWGs.  I got some crimp on hook weights that I am going to try.   I looked at Gamakatsu weighted swimbait hooks.  I would have had to go up to 10/0 to get a hook as long as the 7/0 Gama EWG.  

They all work well to me in fact the Annie slithers on the fall with just a  6/0 superline Gammy EWG but the KW hooks will fall a little quicker and let you fish it slightly quicker as well.

Big O  

I haven't fished it yet, but the tail design is much more aggressive and looks to me like it would move a ton more water.  Probably not better in every situation, but hard to imagine that it wouldn't be in a lot of applications.

Posted by: flippin Posted on: Today at 7:44pm

Burley Munson wrote on Today at 7:31pm:

What makes them better than the Zoom Ol' Monster, 10" Power Worm or any other long worm?

they arent  

Have you actually fished them? :-?  As I remember they were introduced about the time your fishing in Ohio was dieing down.  Imo, there is little difference if any between the design of the big worms produce by Zoom, Berkley, Net Bait(my favorite).  Like I said I haven't fished the Anaconda so I can't say they are wold beaters, but I do think I can say that they are the only unique 10" worm on the market b/c of the tail design.  At least fish it before coming on here with opinions that they aren't better than something esle.

Its all about the FrogTogs, Smart Shield sunblock, and the Color C Lector.

Oh wait, thats Roland Martin's fishing infomercial, this is Bassresource's. ;)

Haha. So true.

Burley has fished them.

I have fished them as well. That will be the only pack I purchase.

Hmm...

I have great luck with the 10" Anaconda and started this thread

because I HIGHLY recommend the bait. As with any other,

some will not like them. Heck, we have had several guys post lately

that haven't caught a fish on the "Magic Lure". Go figure...

;)

[/quotPosted by: fourbizz Posted on: Today at 7:55pm

Burley has fished them.

I have fished them as well. That will be the only pack I purchase.  

e]

Lol.....I wasn't trying to say you or Burley hadn't fished them.

Flippin, I owe you an apology I really had the impression you hadn't fished them. The impression was based soley on an assumption. I should of cleared that up before accusing you. I'm not suprised though that you said you had sucess w/ the powerbait and not the Annaconda b/c I really think the Annaconda is truley the only different option out there in a 10" worm from a bix box manf. I haven't fished them, but I'm not going to jump all over Strike King for trying something different.

Bizz and Burley you really don't think the tail design is different than a Zoom or Powerbait?

Obviously it looks different, i dont feel the action is significantly different. The price is also very different, 3.50 for power worms, 5.39 for the anaconda. They dont come in black, come on, its a big worm, how can you have a big worm that is not black?

Im just tired of all the hype, its not rage, its hype.

Yes, they are nice baits, but not worth the price and have yet to prove themselves worthy of the hype. I love big worms. They have caught me my two biggest fish. But the way that I fish them, I lose a ton of them. Sometimes 15 or 20 a night. That would be $21.56 in anacondas. Add in an owner oversize worm hook and a tru tungsten bullet weight, and it could be $60 worth of tackle very easily, trip after trip.I have also developed a ton of confidence in black worms.

I mean the basic rage tail (not neccesarily the anaconda's entire tail) is nothing but a bastardized net bait claw.

The netbait is 3.50 for a 9 pack.

NBPC-AK.JPG

The rage craw is 5.00 for a 7 pack

SKRCR-AGB.JPG

Main points being, imo, a nice bait, not that special. Too expensive. Doesnt come in black. Too much hype.

When everyone on here was chopping up that bait when it was first available, I was very interested. After fishing it, its just another big worm, but it is expensive.