Sign in to follow this  
CyBasser

Sowbelly: Has anyone read it?

Hi everybody!

Has anyone read "Sowbelly: the quest for the world record" book? If yes, what are your comments? I'm thinking about ordering it, but I would like some authoritative reviews or comments from the passionate members of this forum!

I have. Very good book. It will suck you in and give you a feel of what those guys go or have been through. This isn't a "how to catch big bass" book. It's a glance into the lives of those who are and have been obsessed with catching the World Record. Very interesting read and well written. If you are passionate about bass fishing or just fishing in general, I think you will like the book.

Excellent book.

And to think, people have asked me why I don't want to fish So Cal. I can so totally imagine having my truck tires slashed, sugar in my gas tanks, holes in my boat, etc.

.........But they do have a few lbs on us, with the top end size of their bass, compared to our bass up here in Nor Cal.

But it's all good. I really don't think much about beating George W. Perry's best catch. I'd be plenty happy to top Fish Chris' PB :-)

Peace,

Fish

I read it before it was available to the public.  Interesting read.  As stated previously, it's not a "how to" book at all.  Rather, it's more like a biography of the big names in trophy bass hunting.  It's raw, uncensored, to-the-point commentary and quotes give you real insight into the mindset of these guys.  It definitely takes a unique individual with immense patience and passion to pursue the world record.

Great book, I had a post on it a while back as well.  I'd love to hear a follow up or something about fishing for peacocks in Brazil.

That book is a great read. I was not able to put it down until I was finished. Monte Burk, the auther did exagerate in the chapter "The San Diego Zoo" His intention was to dig up dirt on some of the guys and get them to talk bad about each other. He went with Mike Long and kept asking him question about the other guys. He was trying to get Mike to say something bad about them. Mike got anoyyed and broght him back to the dock and ended the interview. In the book Monte does not paint a very favorable picture of Mike because of this. Mike also tried to "kill off" that big Dixon bass by telling everybody he found a huge floater. While this was true it obviously was not the same fish. This is what made Jed Mac and Mike W mad. They didnt want people thinking they had mishandled the fish. They didnt realize Mike L had done them a favor. He relieved some of the pressure from the lake and was trying to save the world record club, but that part didnt work.

Also just for the record after Mac caught that same fish(now 25.1)  they were all at the lake the next day and were talking and shook hands. The heated fued the Monte greatly exagerated is over.