Sign in to follow this  
arul

What is with Ike's Tube?

So Ike was fishing a tube on Sunday...

I have no clue about tubes, and have never even thought about using one. He said it was with a 1/4 weight.

What does a tube represent? Baitfish? Crawdad? What was the advantage to Ike using a tube over a Jig, or creature bait, or other soft plastic?

Bottom line: Why go with a tube?????  I would love to know the thought process.

Hey Ike- I know you are reading this, so feel free to Private Message me... your username is safe with me!   ;):)

As far as I know, a tube imitates a craw and you should really think about fishing one in place of a worm around rocks.  They offer a smaller profile than a jig or other flipping baits

It's both profile and action.

Fished on the bottom, dragged or hopped, it imitates a crawdad.

Fished with an inserted weight or jig head, the tube represents

a dying baitfish as it twirls on the fall.

The original Gitzit was actually designed as a "do nothing" bait,

laying motionless on the bottom or fished while drifting with the

wind. My theory is, the boys from Arkansas created another excuse

to drink beer!

8-)

The tube really is a "do all" soft plastic.

The way I fish a tube here in the Great Lakes is to imitate a goby or sculpin.  I use Bite Me Big Dude heads to get the profile.

Its on my list to try rigging it in the classic pegged T-rig.  Oddly, I've never tried it.  Seems to be a go to bait for many.

It's definitely a go to bait for me.  I've not fished them for very long but sometimes I can get bit on a tube when nothing else works.  It's almost a finesse presentation since it's shorter than a worm with a smaller profile than a jig.  I fish them both t-rigged and with an inserted jig head

When you guys say JIG Head ... your refering to just the metal with no skirt i assume?

Believe it or not my buddy has luck with them on a Jig (Booyah) with a Strike King Coffee Tube with matching skirt. I found this an odd combination but 10 minutes and he had me convinced.

Nothing big came of it just 2 and 3 lb's but it sure caught fish on the jig as a trailor. (which is why i started my topic on jig trailors)

Anyone else used a tube?

Its a very versatile bait. T-Rig, C-Rig, Jig head, even topwater or weightless. Mimics crawdads when fished slower and on bottom. when pulled, looks like a crayfish flushing. Also mimics baitfish as RW said. I love using them like a fluke with stop and go retrieve. Take an ear plug and push it into a tube all the way to the head, Skin hook weightless and you got a very subtle topwater bait that is Weedless as it gets.

Take a ball head jig and push the head inside the tube and then press on the tube to expose the jig's eye.

Tie on with a Palamor knot and drag it through the bass beds, allowing it to sit in the bed.

You can fish it as said above, like a crawfish on the bottom or an injured baitfish.

Give 'em a try so you will know how the work and you can add them to your arsenal of plastics.

After all, we never have enough plastics.  ;D    ;D    ;D

Love to T-Rig them weightless and skip under and around docks and boats.

The first time I used a tube, I didnt care for it. The tube itself was kind of stiff, and the jighead inside of it made it plow into the weeds.

I decided to give them another try the next year. I started off with Texas rigging it on a EWG hook, with no weight, and it was a completely different bait. I even tied it on with a loop knot to give it more action, and caught alot of fish.

The thing I like about tubes is that with that rigging, I can fish it fast on top like a topwater, let it sink and swim it or jerk it, and then let it settle to the bottom and hop it. You can fish anywhere in the water column with it and catch fish.