Sign in to follow this  
RobbyZ5001

Fishing Log's and Notes

How many of you keep fishing logs every trip and take notes? What logging program do you use? I have just been keeping "mental" notes but I think I would benifit from a logging system of some kind to put together patterns and so on. Also do any of you keep a folder full of lake maps with key points? Thanks - Robby

I log the following information into Micro Soft Word date, time, weather, water clarity, depth, structure, cover, techniques, lure, total number caught, total keepers caught, & largest bass caught. At the first opportunity I transfer this data into Micro Soft Excel there by giving me a searchable log or I can sort by any parameter. I have topographical maps dating back to the mid to late fifties showing structure not found on most supposedly updated maps.

I use the log from here as well. I cannot say that I use it as religiously as I should. In fact, I am pretty bad about it.

...next year will be different I hope.

HEY....graphs do all these cool things now with all the software and GPS, waypoint etc...wonder why one of the companies doesn not do a log system right in the software of the graph. ( or maybe they do????) The graph already knows alot of the information...water depth, temperature, date, time, where in the lake you are, what structure you are fishing...even what lake you are on...

with just a multiple choice drop down menu for wind, air temp, fish weight and numbers, etc... you could keep a downloadable log with your graph...

use a CSV file system and it would be easily uploadable to Excel and most other spreadsheet programs.

I would buy that

Two years ago my wife helped me set up a program to log all my information. It sounds very similar to Catt's. After every trip, once all my gear is put away, I go right to the computer and document everything.

I used to keep all my data in a notebook but that wasn't as neat as the computer, plus I was always misplacing the notebook.

Falcon

I use the log from here as well. I cannot say that I use it as religiously as I should. In fact, I am pretty bad about it.

...next year will be different I hope.

HEY....graphs do all these cool things now with all the software and GPS, waypoint etc...wonder why one of the companies doesn not do a log system right in the software of the graph. ( or maybe they do????) The graph already knows alot of the information...water depth, temperature, date, time, where in the lake you are, what structure you are fishing...even what lake you are on...

with just a multiple choice drop down menu for wind, air temp, fish weight and numbers, etc... you could keep a downloadable log with your graph...

use a CSV file system and it would be easily uploadable to Excel and most other spreadsheet programs.

I would buy that

You took the words right out of my mouth.  

On the water, I try to keep 3 types of recording medium with me.  One is the good ole pen and paper.  The second is a mini-tape recorder.  The third is a camera.

If the fishing is slow or I need to be sure I cover a very specific spectrum of data, then I'll turn to the pen and paper.  Here's my list in the order I cover them.  Location (grid), Time, Weather (temp, wind, sun), Time, Water Clarity, Depth, Current direction, Structure, Bottem composition, Lure(s) used, Color(s) used, Fish caught.

If I'm using the tape recorder, I'll generally try to cover them as best as I can.  This is usually under tournament conditions, so I try to keep it simple and fast.  Date, Location, time, structure, fish, lure, and color.  Leaving out details sucks, but I definately cover those because they immediately apply.  I sometimes use the recorder to remember exactly where I caught each fish, that way I can re-fish those areas better if the situations dictate.

The camera is a new addition to the tools.  haven't gotten to use it yet (haven't even bought it yet) but I'll be getting a digital cam to take pics of fish, graph info, and areas so I can use visual references as well.

I have logged all my trips since 1998. I use a simple notebook. I record the obvious stuff like day ,time, temps, fish caught, lures used weather wind etc.. I also keep track of total bass caught. As of today 854.... 431lm and 423sm. My biggest bass lm at 6.7 and smallie 5.2. I also Keep track of my biggest bass by lake. It actually helps alot in tourneys.

On new lakes I use the mini recorder. It's great for detail.

I've tried the computer programs but still like writing info into 3 ring binder and read often.

Garnet

I keep a log using Microsoft Word, I list the location, date, time, tides, lure, water clarity, winds and I attach pictures of the LMBs that I caught.