Sign in to follow this  
jeronimo

cold water ?

what bait would work well in cold water? i went out on Sunday and the water was 42* . i couldn't find any fish at all. this is a river with moderate current. i tried pretty much everything in my box but couldn't get anything. this is the first time I've fished this late in the year.

thanks

Tubes, hairjigs and suspending jerkbaits fished really, really slowly.

Smallies like black hair jigs with small 101 JR size frog or Super Pork Tadpole JR. Use a 1/4 oz round jig fishing rivers. Sworming Hornets 3/16 oz underspin with a tiny Fluke trailer in chartruese also works well, slow rolled along the bottom.

WRB

Hair jigs, tubes and suspending jerkbaits are my go to baits for those water temps for river smallies.

You'll want to look for deeper slackwater areas. The females will hold up in these spots to help conserve their energy over the winter months.

As I am discovering this time of year smaller seems to better and so does slower.  When you think you are going slow then slow it down a little bit more.

Later, :)

Tell us about the smallmouth in your avatar.

Man, that's one of the best pics I have ever seen!

8-)

Tell us about the smallmouth in your avatar.

Man, that's one of the best pics I have ever seen!

8-)

i caught it  late april 2 years ago on a green pumpkin spidergub & 1/4oz football head jig. it weighed 5 lbs 1oz. i froze my nards off that day , but the bite was awsome.

Nice fish, but it looks twice as big in the picture!

Look at the shape and fat belly compared to this fish:

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/outdoors/fishing/articles/smallmouth-world-record-controversy-hayes.html

Yours is a fine smallmouth.

8-)

From now on, that fish in your avatar is what I will think of when I hear the term "football"  :) Beautiful.

My favorite lures in cold water conditions are suspending jerkbaits and jigs. I don't have much experience with jigs in moving water, but you can't go wrong with suspending jerkbaits as long as you're getting down to the fish.

I have been havin' the same sorta questions, but lately even with the temps fallin I have been havin good luck with regular nightcrawlers and lizards.  I have used watermellon and pumpkin colored worms and just drag them slowly across the bottom, because the fish seem to get lazy when the temp. falls.