Sign in to follow this  
BassChaser57

Secondary Point Question

Some time ago there was a great article with diagram on how to define and locate secondary points. I have looked and could not find it. Does anyone remember where it is? If memory I think Burley wrote it?

No, but if you fish a lake like Bull Shoals, it's obvious. The "main points"

are along the channel of the old White River. "Secondary points" are

back in the coves which used to be tributaries.

8-)

I believe by definition a secondary point is a point off the main lake like in the creeks. A main lake point is just that- a point on the main lake. Locating them shouldn't be too difficult if you have a good topo map.

Everyone is right on. Secondary points are simply points on the inside of main lake points.

Right now in my area, the bass are cruising the main lake points. As it gets closer to their spawn, they will move to secondary points on the inside of the main points. This is my favorite time to fish!

However, for me to be successful, I need to find the fish on the primary points now bc they will stay in the same area; just move to the secondary point as it gets warmer. If I can't find them now, I will spend more time searching in the early spring.

One thing to look for when fishing secondary points is water temp. I have found that the males begin to move into secondary points at 50-55 degrees. The gals usually don't move in until 55+. When the temp hits 55, the feeding really turns on and secondary points are my main focus. This is when senkos, flukes, and spinnerbaits really shine. The fish will keep moving more and more shallow as the temp warms into the 60s.

My biggest fish come in this pre spawn time when the water temp is 55-60 and they are feeding heavily for spawn.

BTW. Water temp will vary by location. But pay attention to it and you will know when to fish main points and when to fish secondary points ;)

Point Defined: A finger of land that juts out into deeper open water. The most obvious points are main lake and secondary points that originate from the shoreline. Points also occur in conjunction with underwater ridges and humps. Points can also be found jutting out on underwater flats and have no visible area above the waterline.

Point Logic: Points create a slope contour that progresses from shallow water to deep but occasionally points will occur in stair-step form; these staggered series of drop-offs create additional structure. Bass relate to points for multiply reasons. Points provide a dining table for feeding acting as natural funnels for staging before, during, and after the spawn.

The Best Points: Choose points based on the season; in cold water concentrate on main lake points where bass can find significant depth changes without swimming great distances. In warm water concentrate on secondary points which are points that occur inside the mouth of a cove or bay when bass begin gravitating to shallows via creeks, ditches, and channels. Submerged points are ideal especially during adverse weather conditions. The ideal point has a channel because they provide them a convenient place to feed with deep water access. Points with some form of cover Hydrilla, brush, stumps, gravel, or chunk rock are generally more attractive than bald points.

Pointed techniques: Points are the most popular forms of structure because they are easiest to find and can be fished with any lure & technique which makes them the most pressured.

Great info all, thanks!

Just curious, do the general rules cited above regarding what areas to target hold true on most bodies of water? For example, do they apply regardless if it's a very deep, clear reservoir as opposed to a shallower, stained or even muddy lake?

Great info all, thanks!

Just curious, do the general rules cited above regarding what areas to target hold true on most bodies of water? For example, do they apply regardless if it's a very deep, clear reservoir as opposed to a shallower, stained or even muddy lake?

There are no rules;  just general guidlines that someone smart wrote.  Fish don't read

Great info all, thanks!

There are no rules; just general guidlines that someone smart wrote. Fish don't read

Probably a poor choice of words on my part... guidelines is more accurate. So these would be pretty good guidelines to use when fishing any body of water. That was really my question.

And I'm not so sure about the "fish don't read" thing, based on previous posts on the forum, fish have eyes, so they must be able to see, so they must be able to...

Ah, never mind