Sign in to follow this  
drmnbig

How much will the water warm up?

I'm trying to decide which day/days to fish this weekend and early week.  The water temp of the 8-9 acre pond that I fish is sitting at 47* as of yesterday.  The next four days it calls to be 65, 74, 76 and 70 degrees.  There is going to be a mix of clouds and sun over the four days.  The deepest point of this pond is about 30' but most of it is under 15'.  There are only a couple of trees around it and the water is somewhat clear with about 2' of visibility and lots of vegitation on the bottom.  Any idea what the water temps might do over these days?  

What are your night time lows and what are the winds doing? ;)

The reason I'm asking is that this pond has some HUGE bass in it and I want to try to figure something out.  I don't have much time to fish it this weekend because it's my son's 1st birthday and we've got a bunch of family in town so my time will be limited or the wife will be ticked.  ;)

Sounds like you need to get your priorities in order.

;D

On water that small, I would expect the temp to rise quickly.  Which should cause the bass to move up accoringly.  I would Throw jerkbaits, slow spinnerbaits and jigs.

the water will warm a little each day.  So evey day the fishing may get better.  I'm gonna go throw a spinnerbait on the ice now. :'(

I fish small waters too. Mine are bluegill-based which progress in a certain way due to the heat-loving habit of sunfish. In my case it really does help to be able to pick my days. Here's what I look for and avoid in the initial heat-up/early pre-spawn period in my ponds:

Pick the day:

You have a good heating week coming (assuming bright sun and little wind) awesome. I often like the second or third good heating day following a cold front. Yup, this is smack dab in the bluebird sky period. Horrors! This doesn't bother the fish when there's killin' to be done and consolidated heat attracts hordes of sunfish, carp and bass.

What you want to avoid are the windy days that come as the next front approaches. Strong wind will destroy heating and even roll up frigid subsurface waters. Check the wind forecast and how close the next approaching front is.

A light wind (breeze) can be good. Since warm water floats over cold, a breeze can push warmed surface water and stack it into coves or onto shorelines. If these are good fish holding areas, you could have something really good.

ULTIMATELY (you did say you wanted to pick your time didn't you?), you want something approaching a 10degree diff between the surface and subsurface (~4feet down). Heating in early season is only skin deep.

Pick the location(s):

Look for areas that both heat well and hold preyfish:

-Sun incidence (often the N shore but not always if better habitat exists elsewhere)

-Shallow protected (calm) areas (coves, corners, flats), usually close to deep water, usually with cover to concentrate and hold prey.

-Walk the shoreline and look for sunfish piled into heated shallows. This develops through the day, often peaking by late afternoon. You can sleep in, or take care of your Honey-Do's.

-Sun heats, but may pose presentation problems, especially in clear water, so plan to fish into the evening. You may find you make all your catches as the sun gets lower. Clouds could help, unless they come too early and stop the heating. Doesn't mean there won't be fish to catch by any means, but it's real nice to have concentrations of viciously aggressive bass. Thus, if I can pick my day, time and place, I will.

In the end, you make do with what nature gives you. Lots of clinkers to your best laid plans are possible. But, when it comes together, it can be ...amazing.

This fishing holds, and will keep you praying for cold fronts to keep things chilled for re-heating as long as possible (a long period in the north, possibly non-existent in the south), until heat penetrates the depths. When I start measuring mid 50s at 4feet, the pond relaxes and the intense heating and predator-prey consolidations don't set up, although each water is topographically different.

From your description, although your water may be small, it has volume (if you are sure of those depths). It will heat relatively slowly. If you don't have good shallow flats or better, protected coves, then you may be simply knocked back to late winter type fishing. The 30foot depth and only 9acres has me wondering how steep sided your pond is. If it's a small res (dammed) then it probably has a shallow end that will take on the heat. Regardless, many bass should start becoming more surface-water oriented, beginning to prep for the move into shallows to spawn.

I'll re-post a report from one such day last spring. I've got the right weather happening now I just need to GET OUT!

I'm gonna go throw a spinnerbait on the ice now. :'(

;D ;D Not laughing at you -just a good dry sense of humor there. I'm thinking I might go out and get some casting in on the driveway. :)

Paul Roberts

Northern Colorado

Two More Fascinating Days on Colorado Pond; Almost a Skunking, and Pure Carnage!!

Mar 26th, 2008, 1:50pm

March 20th, 2008

Brilliant sun and high temps (65F) forecast awesome heating day. I was gonna KILL EM!!! But Mother Nature threw me a curve...

When I arrived I stopped to chat with a fly-fisher. He mentioned that it was supposed to get windy. It was absolutely calm as we spoke and I replied that I hoped it would hold off for a while. We said goodbye, and I turned around and walked right straight into a very stiff wind! I started running! I hit one favorite spot screened from the wind and collected a 13, then ran to a second, where I rose a big mama I know very well. By then the water had only just begun to heat up and she was tentative (and educated). I also reacted tentatively and was rewarded with a large flash beneath the water as she let go of my lure. AWWWWHH! ...Good morning Mama. Go back to whatever you were doing. Rats!!!

By then there were whitecaps across the water, and I watched as water temps eroded all the way around the pond as cold water was rolled up from the depths. Heating never happened. And I fished hard, in a very uncomfortable wind, just to see if I could pull something together. I couldn't. I finally abandoned the pond and headed to another I thought might be protected it wasn't, the water roiled and cold. I failed there too, and I was chilled enough not to beat myself up trying to eek out a couple bites.

March 25th 2008

Warm spell following good cold front. Monday was to hit mid 60's but a strong wind came in that made me decide to hold off a day. Tuesday was calm, and promised 65 and sun, which was realized. I was almost trembling in anticipation.

I started early, to watch the pond heat up. And it did, but slowly. I measured 49F at 10AM the air was chilly. I spent the time fishing and observing. No bluegills were seen in the immediate shallows yet. I didn't turn a fish from 10AM til I broke for lunch at 1pm. And I even began to let a few doubts creep in. Could I be wrong? Could something else be happening? But I quashed em.

After lunch, at 2PM, I started my rounds again. I got 52F at the upwind corner, and 56.5F at the downwind a half hour later, and spotted little fish (1½ ) along the cattail roots and shoreline flotsam. I do not know what they were! Wish I'd had a net. They were predacious and even chased my lure moving in quick starts and stops like bass or sunfish. They must be late summer born sunfish likely greens.

I talked with one of three anglers who'd been there all morning. He'd caught 2 little ones, he said, and was headed home.

From there the day began to heat rapidly and the temps of the downwind side reached 60F at 5PM, then fell back to 56F by 7PM. Bluegills had lined the bank, and soon after, the heavy boils and thick wakes of large bass appeared. It became pure carnage as big females rolled in to pick off those concentrated gills!

My tally was 11; The 6 largest in order of capture:

3-25GP20.jpg

20 even. Jerkbait. On 8lb line I had to backreel again and again. I had no idea how big she was going to turn out to be. I had my scale but forgot to use it! She would have been shy of 5lbs. Healthy but not a barrel. Look at the long tail on her. Man, did she use it!

3-25GP1775.jpg

Healthy 17¾ Jerkbait.

3-25GP19.jpg

Gorgeous 19 Jerkbait.

3-25GP19thin.jpg

Thin 19. I switched to a swimbait, as the bass were on to my jerkbait. This one chased to the shore and I ran out of water! So I killed it in 8inches depth, and she sucked it off bottom. She had several old hook bruises, and was very thin.

3-25GP195.jpg

Gorgeous 19½. Swimbait. She took on a long cast (right in amongst a pod of gills) and was a handful to subdue.

3-25GP185.jpg

18½. In-line Spinner. Last fish of the evening. A very strong fighter lots of back-reeling on 8lb line.

3-25GP19plug.jpg

The Jerkbait. This one I made from a Bagley's Topgun, by belly weighting. It's a much shallower running plug then most others, which allowed me to fish it over the dead weeds and algae less hook cleaning, more attraction and triggering time. A less stable plug, it took me some practice to get er to twitch and flash just right. As you can see, color is low on my list of priorities.

Took about three hours to catch these fish. They were not pushovers. Seems bigger bass rarely are, especially if they've seen lots of lures as they do in this public water. You know, if I didn't keep a journal, these days would be remembered as me catching bass hand over fist, losing the real effort and time put in. However, it sure helps to be able to look at the weather and plan such days in advance.

Wow!  What a post!

You just described exactly what I"m gonna have.

The deep water is at the dammed end of the lake and I have about 2 acres of pure flat about 5' deep and cover in vegitation which is maybe 1' tall this time of year.  I've also got one little cove that drops off pretty steep into 15-20' of water but the cove is only about 3' deep.  The pond recieves a good bit of pressure but is really only accessible around the dam area.  I will be in my boat on it.  

I've never really thought about how all the bluegill and such gather up when it warms up like that.  I've always just been a bank beater and I'm hoping to broaden my fishing skills this year and this pond has the potential to make me very happy.  I let you know what happens over the next couple of days!  ;)

It'll be interesting to see what the primary forage for larger bass in your pond is this time of year. The big girls in my ponds are really onto the larger 'gills. In the scenario above it's the 5" to 7" 'gills they're after. My ponds also have carp, and crayfish. I'm not sure how they interact with young carp, but it's always in the back of my mind. If you happen to have shad, you are south of me, things may be different, and not related to shoreline cover, but more open water surface areas. I would expect some fish to show up in with the sunfish though -how big depends on the size and numbers of sunfish your pond offers. This kind of thing can change year by year too.

Is your dam earthen or have rip-rap? Rip-rap can draw preyfish (including shad), and crayfish -it's just good cover. Worth checking on too.

Do let us know what you find out. Each water is a case study in itself.

I did not get out today since it was my sons first birthday.  I'll be on the water about 2pm tomorrow and plan on spending 3-4 hours out there.

The dam has riprap which is one of my favorite springtime and early morning summer things to fish.  Nothing like casting a jerbait to it and raking them in.  

BTW, tomorrow is now calling for 74* and 10-15mph winds out of the SW.  There is also a front approaching and it's calling for a chance of rain showers tomorrow night.  The SW wind should put things in my favor because the biggest hill is on that side of the pond therefore blocking a good bit of the wind.

If its a small pond you are going to someone already told you earlier the waters will warm faster of course.

I will offer this up. The pic under my name was a bass I just caught a week or so ago at a small golf course pond I fish. Right now they are hitting jigs somewhat but I am catching every one of them on a rattle trap.

I throw it out, let it hit bottom, ****** it off the bottom with a medium strength pull and then retrieve it slowly bumping the botom most the way back. Now the spot I found to fish in is devoid of stuff to snag yourself on except the occasional leaf or twig that happens to enter the area from current so that may be a factor in whether or not you can do the same kind of cast and retrieve.

Cyas,

D