Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sawyer

Ever approach an owner of a pond?

I finally got my nerve up to ask a 'neighbor' if they allow people to fish there little paradise. I shaved,put on a nice shirt and clean jeans, dressed my 5 1/2 yr old son up in  a cute cabelas outfit.

After a very nice 15 minute conversation with the owners wife, she asked for my name and #. She said I will have to talk to hubby and he will call you. That was last saturday so no phone call I have to assume no fishing at that pond. I told her you would never know I am here etc..

Do I try one more time and show up with a case of beer as a offering ? I dont want to haunt there house,I will have to accept it as at least I tried..  :(

I would give it another week or two.. People generally don't like to be hounded, especially in regards to their own personal property. But it sounds like you did your best to make a good first impression. I would definetly avoid the bribe lolz Trust me, I know it can be a heartbreaker when you don't get permission. As one property owner told me "I don't know you from grass".

I would assume they do not want you to fish. I have asked several strangers to fish their pond but usualy they tell me no  :'(

You never know unless you ask.

This question is along the same lines.  

If the pond in question is a fire pond (attachment for a engine to hook up to) are these still privately owned ponds?  I still plan on asking the owner of the land next to the pond since I will more then likely cross his property from time to time.  I am curious is there are private owners of these types of ponds or are they owned by the town?

Thanks.  

Why don't you become friends with your neighbor, before becoming the wierd neighbor. Most of the you don't want to become ''that guy". Plus you never know he could be a very cool person.

I have to agree with Sharpie. If he is your neighbor get to know him first. I wouldn't have just walked up and asked to fish without first going and introducing myself or approaching and introducing myself while seeing them out in the yard or something.

Who knows, you may make a really good friend and fishing buddy in the process getting to know your neighbors first. :)

Do I try one more time and show up with a case of beer as a offering ?
This stands a 50/50 shot of blowing up in your face.  I would assume than no reply means "no."

I would try to leave a note maybe that explains the situation and how bad you want to fish there . Maybe even ask if they fish it and ask for a fish report? Just my Sugestinon

Having grown up on property where a TON of people trespassed and fished, and now living on three acres >:(, I can see both sides of this one.

If people were there without permission, we called the sheriff, every time. If ANYONE asked, they got permisssion. We had several families that would come once or twice a month who had standing permission to fish. One of them worked for a pepsi distributor and would bring us a few cases of soda every time.

Right now I have access to half a dozen private ponds, with standing permission to fish. Some people say no, some people say yes.

If you offered to contribute some way ( brush clearing, etc), promised that you would C&R, and not leave a trace, and they still said no, then they are dirtbags in my opinion.

Don't you just hate ambiguity?!!!  There isn't much you can do now about the woman's response but if the husband doesn't call you in a few weeks, I don't see anything wrong with going back over.  Do it when he is out working on his lawn, or whatever and apologetically explain your quandry and repeat the request.  If he says yes, that's terrific.  If he says "no" than you have a definitive answer.  Politely say you won't bother him again and graciously bow out.

I can't even get my grandmother to let me fish her pond anymore (which is loaded with huge largemouth) because someone snuck on her property the same night I was fishing there during the day and left a pile of beer cans and trash. She thought it was me. She's a bit grouchy. I even offered to clean it up. If I ever find out who did it, they'll be sleepin with those fishes............

Another Idea that comes to mind, is to present them with a "waiver of liability".  Some legal document stating that you will not hold them responsible for any injurys you sustain on their property while fishing.  You never know someones history, and problems they have suffered in the past for doing something nice for someone else.  Maybe, with a promise to c&r, and no worries about being sued, the property owner would be more open to the idea of allowing you to fish his/her property.

This question is along the same lines.

If the pond in question is a fire pond (attachment for a engine to hook up to) are these still privately owned ponds? I still plan on asking the owner of the land next to the pond since I will more then likely cross his property from time to time. I am curious is there are private owners of these types of ponds or are they owned by the town?

Thanks.

The easiest way to find out who owns a property is the county property appriasers office.  Most counties in GA and FL (where I hav experience) have put their records online.  If not you can go to the county courthouse but probably not practical.  If online...

Google "Blank County + property appraiser"

When you find the website (usually a .gov) find your way to their online property parcel maps, maybe GIS Mapping, just look for map and click.

You hopefully will get to an online map that you can zoom in and out.  Usually it will have the parcel lines showing where properties start/stop.  Find the pond in question and select it (usually you have to choose the select tool).  Details including the current owner should pop up somewhere.  If it is city/county/state/department of transportation (DOT), whatever it will say that.  If it is a person it will tell you that and you will know who to ask for when you stop by.  If it is an LLC, Corp, whatever (often it is) try this...

Google your state + secretary of state.  The secretary of state tracks corporation registrations in that state.  Usually they have a search online.  Search the name of the LLC or Corp on their website.  It will bring you to a record...click on the record and usually will give you names of officers in the corporation which is probably the owners name.

I'd try one more time, making sure the husband will be home. If its does not pan out, move on. There are plenty of other places. Also, dont show up with beer, you're not sure they drink.

I just made my second call to this lady in my area who gave me her number through a mutual friend about fishing in her pond. She said to my friend, "i'm sure it would be fine, just have him call me, here is my number...". Well, I called 2 times and wont be calling again, i think twice is enough to get the idea.

With that said, I still have 6 ponds I have standing permission to fish.

If its your neighbor why haven't you talked to them before with out any agenda? If it was me I would be offended that the first time you came over was to ask to use my pond that I may/may not even have fish in.

Great feedback,advice,suggestions etc. All are being considered. My mistake is using the word neighbor wrongly . She said "It is so nice to meet a neighbor" (at that point I thought it was a yes) but  .....They live across a main road and down a few properties,plus the house and pond are set way back out of sight. I wish I saw them regularly while I doing yardwork etc.. then we would be friends for sure.. Thanks Guys if I get the nerve up to approach again I will surely relay it here..

Instead of a case of beer , how about splurging a little for that almighty pass-that-no-one-else-you-know-can-get pass and offer up a $20-or-so fruit basket as a offer of good-intention?

It's worked for me as i have several "exclusive" honey-holes that no-one i know can fish......just a thought