Sign in to follow this  
basspimple

spring night fishing

so me and my buddies are goin night fishing(trot lining and jug fishing for cats while bass fishing inbetween). but its going to be cold, low 40s, the day after a bad cold front. yeah, were brave, but we are gonna do it anyways.  :D any ideas on where to start and what to use? btw, we are fishing a small private lake, with lots of boat docks.the water temps are probably in the low to mid 50s. im hoping the fish will be fairly shallow, but dought it. :-/

Spinner baits & plastics ;)

Spinner baits & plastics ;)

Whats a good color spinnerbait to use at night?

Small jigheads (1/16 or 1/8 oz) with small tube baits, Yum Vibra King tubes for example, have been VERY good to me at night this year. Black/blue has been the winning color at night. Retrieve as slow as you can so you don't get hung up. A yo-yo retrieve works also.

Wacky rigged worms should get bit also.

Bass can see color but not at night, color it's self is meaningless at night. Contrast is more important by far than color at night. If you fish water where shad or minnows are predominate prey species, then try white spinners with a white grub. The usual night time favorite black is the second choice in shad populated lakes. Black or dark hued lures give maximum contrast at night when run on or near the surface.

I pay more attention to blades instead of shirt color at night; I throw a lot of red skirts with gold blades at night ;)

I use black/blue everything.  My favorite night time lures are chatterbaits, booyah night stalker spinnerbaits, 10" worms, and booyah buzzbaits with the clacker.

Basically anything that you can fish slow, is big and black, and makes alot of water displacement,

I dont know about cold water night fishing though, seems like the bite shuts off for me when the water is below 60 at night.  Thats just my experience though.  The water also needs to be relatively clear, or they wont be active at night.  

cant go wrong with spinnerbaits.

I dont know about cold water night fishing though, seems like the bite shuts off for me when the water is below 60 at night. Thats just my experience though.

Yep that what I was going to say. I never have much luck bass fishing at night when the water is below 60 degress. Try getting a scented soft plastic on a shakey head and moving it slow across the bottom.

joe

Just in the last couple of weeks I have a had huge success using a large black spinnerbait with a nice big, black Colorado blade at night. I didn't fish it real fast but fast enough to keep it off of the weed beds I was fishing over; I probably had it 6 inches under the surface.

Let me add to that message that the water was right around 60 degrees so slightly warmer than your case.

go big and go black

That's why my ex left me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....HAHAHAHAHA...HAAHAHAHA

WOW I cant BReathe!