Sign in to follow this  
umahunter

how well can bass see ?

OK here's my 2  questions in clear water i can see the fish through the water can they see you just as clear or are you a blurry figure can they see clearly past the water surface ? second i can see into the water clearly but if i stick my head underwater my vision blurs are fish the same way when taken out of the water ?does there vision blurr once out of water ?

I cant answer the blurry vision part, but i can absolutley promise that in clear water if you can see a bass, it can see you just as good. i know from the spawn this year on toledo bend. 2 big pigs both 9+ easy, me and hammer23 both saw them at the same time. and as soon as we saw them they saw us and dissapeared into the cattails.  

Bass see very well, have cones and rods like humans.

Rule of fishing...........if you can see them, they can see you.

Usually 3 to 1 ratio.

Meaning....what you can see at one-foot in the water the bass can see at three-feet.

Water clarity has a direct affect on the distance.

Get Dr. Keith's Jones book, Knowing Bass, the Scientific Approach to Catching More Fish and read chapter five, Vision.  :)

OK here's my 2 questions in clear water i can see the fish through the water can they see you just as clear or are you a blurry figure can they see clearly past the water surface ? second i can see into the water clearly but if i stick my head underwater my vision blurs are fish the same way when taken out of the water ?does there vision blurr once out of water ?

Bass have their eyes placed near the top of the head for a reason; to see what is going on around them and above them.

How well bass see above the water is a question that can only be answered by the bass. Keep in mind bass act differently during the spawn then any other time, so don't judge the basses reaction based on the spawning period.

I fish a few gin clear water quarry lakes sometimes and those bass are extremely wary of any movement above the water surface. The bass will dart to deep water when a lure is cast over their heads or a bird flies over head. The lakes are down in pits, so when you walk anywhere near the edge, the bass dart away from shore and you will see bass darting away at least 100 to 150 feet away, if there isn't any wind to ripple the surface.

Waves, even small ripples will bend the sunlight rays and obscure the objects above the water and creates shadows of less light intensity below water. The waves helps to camouflage the bass, but reduces their sight above water.

Bass eyes are not designed to see out of water, what they see is anyone's guess. The major concern is survival and out of water the bass can't breath and struggle to get back into water so they can breath.

WRB

let me present this, I have caught several bass that are blind in both eyes. so is it possible that there eye sight is not that big of a deal. I think there sence of smell and lateral line is there best sences while there eye sight is good, I dont think that it is there most crucial sence.

Maybe not..I was watching a fishing show, can't recall which one, but they filmed a blind bass, and a good size one at that..she had no trouble finding a meal. I don't recall the specific's, but I belive she snagged a shad. Pretty impressive.

let me present this, I have caught several bass that are blind in both eyes. so is it possible that there eye sight is not that big of a deal. I think there sence of smell and lateral line is there best sences while there eye sight is good, I dont think that it is there most crucial sence.