Sign in to follow this  
Hammer 4

How Would the Pro's Do W/O

The electronics they have today. I'd like to see a tourny where there were none used..go find fish the old fashioned way..I think it'd interesting.....?? Oh, and each Pro is only allowed 3 rig's.. :)

As long as they were given a rod, reel, line, and lure I think they would do great.  

If they could study the map prior they would do alright. They could just beat the bank all day too, and do just fine.

Taking away their electronics would only affect them in a few tournaments. The summer tournaments mainly. The deep lakes in summer could present a problem and the Great Lakes where all the fishing is done offshore.

The spring and fall tournaments, the fish are mostly shallow and predictable and other than feeling a little 'naked' without their electronics on board, they'd still catch 'em.

Well, for really Big lakes...they wouldn't have their GPS's to rely on, but I agree..they'd still do fine. I'd still like to see a tourny w/o them..be fun imho.

I've actually seen it, well all we had we HummingBird Super 60's ;)

You take away the 411 calls then lets see who the big dawgs are.

Taking away their electronics would only affect them in a few tournaments. The summer tournaments mainly. The deep lakes in summer could present a problem and the Great Lakes where all the fishing is done offshore.

The spring and fall tournaments, the fish are mostly shallow and predictable and other than feeling a little 'naked' without their electronics on board, they'd still catch 'em.

I totally agree with this.  I fish Lake Ontario, and before getting decent electronics and GPS - you REALLY need both in order to get the "big picture" out there - and the best method for locating fish was to troll diving plugs at contours depths until you located a piece of structure, or a school of active fish.  Then we'd anchor or drift the area using vertical lures.  You can study depth charts all you want, but one big storm, and the bottom can change, especially near outlets from the protected bays.

Anyway, I'd rather see a bunch of pros hit a pond from the banks in a low key derby against a bunch of kids.  That would be great PR, and great to see.  As far as "modern tournament format" at the top level, this has evolved over the past 40 years or so, and I really can't see it doing anything other than slowly evolving forward, not back to the good old days.  So far the biggest change I think I've seen in my lifetime is implementation of the marshal program, and bigger, faster boats.

I would guarantee y'all would see the Ole School Gang rise ;)

I dont doubt it. Experience would play a big part if they fished with no electronics.

The electronics they have today. I'd like to see a tourny where there were none used..go find fish the old fashioned way..I think it'd interesting.....?? Oh, and each Pro is only allowed 3 rig's.. :)

The has been "electronics" for as long as there has been "pro bass fihermen. First Lowrane flahser dates back to 1959 for example.

3 outfits would be more than needed, during a tournament.

WRB

1957: Carl Lowrance introduces the first portable sonar units for anglers, capable of detecting both bottom and individual fish.

1955: Outdoor writer Earl Golding holds what is now widely considered the first ever organized bass tournament, the Texas State Bass Tournament on Lake Whitney, Texas; 73 anglers participate.

1948: Skeeter builds a boat designed specifically for bass fishing, thus launching a new category of fishing craft.

1946: The Spoonplug was invented by Elwood L. "Buck" Perry, then a physics and math teacher in Hickory, N.C.. Perry combined science with a logical approach to fishing to create a "total fishing system." He is credited as being the father of structure fishing and was later inducted into the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Y'all will be surprised ;)

You are absolutely right !! My uncle morehead used to tell me about spots he used to see on t-bend when the lake was a lot lower and a hummingbird was all the electronics he had.

They certainly would not do as well as they do with them.

That is an absolute.  The fact that they have them indicates that they would be handicapped w/o them.

I was a commercial lobsterman for years.  The first "sounder" I had was a chart recorder.  Changing the rolls was a real pain, not to mention costly.

When the color sounders hit the market, they were a vast improvement over the black and white recorders, and the monochrome sounders.

The colors made all the difference.  On the monochrome, a lot of the bottom looked identical, but with the color, subtle differences became apparent to those who paid careful attention.

Made a big difference in finding "lobster bottom".

Electronics made fishermen out of some who would have never made it otherwise.  I put myself in that category.

Same is true for the commercial fin fisheries.  

I see no reason why it would not apply to the rod and reel fishing as well.

Some, but certainly not all of the big names would still be at the top of the hill.