heavy hydrilla tactics

• 2 years later...

Here in so. fla. we punch with heavy tungsten wgts. and use spooks on the edge but my favorite is to fish a frog along ragged edges or over mats that have some openings - we vary the speed of retrieve to find a pattern for the day, somedays it is walking them other days dead sticking is the ticket - when fishing the edges we are mostly on the mats but the strikes usually come in the notches or on points of weeds. Very long casts are more productive than short ones as a rule with the frog - less boat noise.

• Super User

I fish the hydrilla with the jig(3/4-1 1/2 oz.), and a craw worm with a heavy florida screw weight. Looking at acres of grass can be intiminating. I too like to work the outer edges, but I will concentrate on the points, cuts and drains that  are out on the edges. You cannot see all of them so keep an eye on the electronics or use the lure to find them.

I keep a c-rig and crankbait handy and at times will throw it out away from the visable mat. Many times you will find a patch of grass out away from the rest that will hold a bunch of fish. It is usually located on a submerged hump that is getting no pressure. It produces when you can find them.

Catt has covered the rest well. Try it and it will increase your catch.

Good luck.

• Super User

The inside grass line will stack the fish up on a rising lake level. Instead of moving up against the bank set up on it with your blades, rogues, traps, and plastics. the fish will use this as their ambush site and you can really catch them when this situation occurs. It can be a killer pattern that is often overlooked.

• Super User

Theres a time when standard practice don't penatrate late season grass that grew to the surface , droughts, draw downs left thick grass mats on the surface. A drop in a few feet late season will make punching grass difficult.

We simply used Florida Screw locks, or pegged the sinker.

1.5 oz weights pegged and tossed about 10-15 feet straight up in the air to punch mates. Gravity does the trick.

The slack was already there and it shot to the bottom, A ten inch black power worm sprayed and lubbed for easy sliding.

Lift the bait about a six inches to a foot and shake, drop let set, lift and shake three times on the bottom and move on.

I used this tecnique in the 2008 Championship on Richland Chambers in Sept. on the grass mats towards the dams.

• 2 years later...

I also like to use a bullet weight in front of the jig head. Yes it IS rather bulky and clunky, but the added benefit is that just like a Texas Rig the bullet weight 'shoots' through the heavier mass of grass and weeds MUCH easier than just the usual circular jig head....you would be amazed at how much weed those small circular weights can pull. The bullet weight just penetrates and somehow pulls right through. When there is too much weight on the rig, just compensate by using a smaller size jig head weight. And it may just be a haphazard occurence, but fish tend to like the clicking that the weights make together. But I would add a bead to; 1) protect the line and 2) give a better action to the jig head because you will lose some action once you add the bullet weight as your lead. Hope that can come in handy when trying to get in (and out) of those seemingly unpenetrable weeds and grass. Happy Hunting