Sign in to follow this  
hookset on 3

Slug-go soft Jerkbait

Hey guys, just wondering if and under what conditions do you throw a slug-go. It has produced a lot of big bass for me over the years. I believe it has a profile that big bass prefer. The 6 inch model has a long slender body that bass find is easier to eat than say a sunfish look.

Hookset on 3

The 9inch ones work great for striper. Rig them with a 7/0 or 8/0 O'Shaugnessy hook, and a little bit of super glue to keep the hook from sliding out of the bait. Work that bad boy around the jetties/beaches! The 7.5inch ones also work well for striper, rig these on a wobble head, like a point jude wobblehead, and give them a steady retrieve.

As for freshwater, never tryed em.

I usually use them in the spring just before the spawn.  Both the Flukes and Senko's have now sorta surpassed the Sluggo's in usage by many anglers.  The flukes in particular are merely descendants of the sluggo.

I usually use them in the spring just before the spawn. Both the Flukes and Senko's have now sorta surpassed the Sluggo's in usage by many anglers. The flukes in particular are merely descendants of the sluggo.

Agreed... I still like the slugos though.  Like he said, early spring, but I'll even use them all the way through fall, especially early and late in the day or around vegetation.  Heck even carolina rigging them works well.

The original Slug-Go is my go-to bait in heavy cover,

especially lily pads. I rig the bait weedless and weightless.

To work the Slug-Go I try to imitate a feeding minnow,

working a specific spot then moving the bait up to work

another. The strike is never subtle.

What is especially important is not setting the hook until you

feel the weight of the fish, not when it strikes. With a little

concentration your hook-up ratio will improve dramatically.

8-)

Sluggos have excellent action. They don't cast as far and they are more buoyant than flukes, so I use them when targeting shallow bass. They also make a sluggo loaded with salt (the el salto sluggo) that sinks more and casts further. They are a must have in your tackle box.

When bass are deeper I prefer a fluke or senko though.

To work the Slug-Go I try to imitate a feeding minnow, working a specific spot then moving the bait up to work

RW - Can you explain this in a little more detail? I don't really understand what you mean, but I'd like to.

Slug-Gos are cool baits.  It's one of those baits that is seldom thrown anymore.  Everyone throws a senko.  A different action with the Slug Go and can be fished any which way just like the senko.  

TX rig and Carolina rigging is how I've fished them.  Been a couple of years since I have.  Thanks for the reminder, I've got a few bags I'm gonna dust off and give them a soaking.  

i love a slug go. i still throw em. black/gold and shad colors. tx rigged weightless. i use them in one certain spot i know of where it's 5ft deep and grass that drops to about 10ft. it always seems to work for me there. they hit it when i drag from the grass to the drop before it hits bottom.

I like to use them as a weedless topwater on top of thick vegetation and slop. They come through and over slop better than any bait I've used.

We used to use slug-go's t-rigged, before there were flukes and wacky rigged, before there was the senko.  In wacky rigging, they are like a senko that doesn't tear.  

To work the Slug-Go I try to imitate a feeding minnow, working a specific spot then moving the bait up to work

RW - Can you explain this in a little more detail? I don't really understand what you mean, but I'd like to.

Twitch the Slug-Go without moving it forward.

Work it where you can see it first and you'll know

what I mean.

If you can find the slug-go SS, grab a package. They are longer and skinnier than the others.  They are great t-rigged around weeds, they look a little snakey.

Seems my secret bait isn't so secret!

To get it to walk the dog on the surface, rig it with a slight banana shape.

It will come to the top and drive fish nuts!

Sluggos rock, period. Anyone tried the sluggo El Salto?