Sign in to follow this  
Shawn Grew

Im Stuck On Five Lbs Bass

I am a fairly new bass fisherman. This is my first realy successfull year. I have no boat so my window of opportunity is quickly closing as tempetures begin to climb. All my good fish are exactly five lbs. What tips can anyone give me as far as luer selection to increase the sixe of my fish. My goal this season is 7lbs. i fish ultra lite with 4 and 6 lbs test . My main targets are weeds along the bank and structure that I can cast too. Im kind of limited as far as my location. So I was thinking mayby bigger line or bigger lures and tips for me. Im south of KC in ural cass co. I do alot of fishing at garden city lakes farm ponds, Truman, longveiw, North lake, And amarugia highlands. Heck mayby 5 is as big as they get in thoses waters

Truman certainly has fish in the 7+ pound range, I've even caught one myself. I'd read up on some of the articles on the site on how to go for bigger fish. Personally I'd get a heavier setup and try some bigger baits to increase the appeal of your baits to bigger fish and then your chances of getting them in once they bite!

I agree with Blue your tackle might not handle one at 7 pounds, if you switch to braided line it will also allow you to cast heavy weights farther from the bank, keep in mind when casting out let the line sink to the bottom, once it hits the water its about a second a foot so count it down or wait until the line stops coming off of the spool. Try casting a 1/2 oz of 3/8 oz football jig head with a floating worm or creature bait and see what happens. Remember to use that 6 pound line as backing when spooling braid. Good Luck!! :)

The best way to increase your chances of a bigger fish is to get a boat. It'll sure help your odds.

Learn to fish jigs in heavy cover with heavy tackle. B)

your season is not over because of summer,,,if possible, you might try a little night fishing,,,or at least right at dusk and dawn,,,big fish still feed and sometimes shallow, in the summer, just have to work on the timing,,be careful of the night critters on the bank