airborne_angler

What Do Different Shades Of Green Indicate On A Lmb?

Caught a Bass the other day on a T-Rigged Senko,out in open water.The color of the fish was a pale green(looked almost a gray color)

The fish was a strong fighter and looked healthy overall.Fish swam off when I released it, with a great amount of energy,so I doubt the fish was sickly.No markings,scars or other wounds.The fish was proportional for its size(maybe 14 inches)

What do the different shades of green indicate on a Bass when its caught as far as depth and cover?

They indicate where he has been before being caught, color, pattern or the lack of it indicate the water clarity and/ or light penetration.

• Like 1

The opposite of what might be expected, bass taken from clear, highly transparent water normally exhibit darker mossy green

and a blacker more prominant median line. Bass taken from murky or muddy water tend to be silvery and washed out in color.

Roger

Bass can change coloration due to sereveral factors; stress, water chemistry: high alkaline creates a pale color, high acidic creates darker coloration. Depth of light; deeper then light penetration the lighter coloration, good light penetration darker coloration.

Tom

Bass can change coloration due to sereveral factors; stress, water chemistry: high alkaline creates a pale color, high acidic creates darker coloration. Depth of light; deeper the light penetration the lighter coloration, good light penetration darker coloration.

Tom

I'm sure you meant the opposite :)

Roger

No, he meant it the way it was typed. If the fish lives deeper than the light can penetrate, then is will be lighter in coloration.

I think of it as a sun tan. Shallow or clear water fish will get darker.

I just like to think of it like this: If the fish is not bright with color or dark with color is has been in relatively deep water. If the fish is has lots of bright or dark color, it has been relatively shallow.

Pale = deep

Vivid = shallow