Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fanobass

Introduction To Fanobass

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

After browsing this site and reading some very informative fishing articles I decided to register and introduce myself.

Recently retired, I’ve been fishing, on and off for over 40 years, but only seriously for bass over the past 10 years. I’m from Ottawa, Ontario Canada (my license plate is FANOBASS) and I do all my fishing on the same lake, just outside the city.

I’m strictly a spinning angler although I fish much of the same stuff as the hard core bait caster guys. My spinning gear includes:

- a Dobyns Champion 6’8” med. rod paired with a Pflueger Patriarch reel (both new, haven’t used them yet)

- a G Loomis Bronzeback 6’3” med. hvy rod with a Pflueger Supreme XT reel (reel new)

- a G Loomis Bronzeback 6’3” med. hvy rod with a Pflueger Supreme (not XT) reel

- a G Loomis IMX 6’ med. rod and Quantum Catalyst

I use 20 lb braid (Power Pro and Suffix) with 20 lb P-Line fluoro leader on all these.

In addition, I use a St-Croix Avid 6’3” med. rod with Catalyst reel spooled with 10 lb braid and 8lb fluoro leader for finesse fishing.

I fish plastics almost exclusively – senko type worms and creature/ crayfish baits plus the occasional top water frog as conditions permit. I target pencil reeds (pipe stems, buggy whips, etc.), and grass but my favourite (and most challenging) technique is skipping my baits under low hanging tree branches and bushes against the shoreline (see attached pic). I’m a catch & release guy 99.9% of the time and a catch and fillet the other 0.1% . I fish with Owner and Gammy hooks, and remove the barbs – my preference, as this makes my job of unhooking fish easier and less wear and tear on the fish.

I only fish one tournament per year – on our lake. My boat weighs about 1,000 lbs and this is too much for my compact car to haul to various area tourneys.

My personal best LM bass was a 6.7 lb brute on lake Okeechobee some years ago. My PB on our lake is a 4.0 lb LM.

I occasionally take newbies out on my boat and teach them the basics of plastic bait fishing – everybody catches fish and has fun.

Unfortunately, my once-a-year tournament is tomorrow – Saturday – but I’m going to miss it and any fishing in the near future as I’m tending to the needs of my wife who broke her collar bone while cycling a few days ago. Once she’s better I’m looking forward to try out my new Dobyns rod and Pflueger reel and “terrorizing” the lake bass population.

There you have it – my (long) introduction.

Tight lines to all.

Fanobass

post-33176-0-08052900-1308934696_thumb.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ad welcome to BR. The Dobyns and Pflueger set up is really garbage and I'm sure you won't like them. Send them to me immediatly and I'll dispose of them for you. You're welcome

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the offer Ron, but I plan to make that determination myself. As an aside, I fished the heck out of the basic magnesium Pflueger Supreme reel last year so I felt no uncertainty about investing in either the Patriarch or Supreme XT. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

welcome to the site FAN. nice to see another Ontario fishing brother on the site. as you have found, this site can help you in many ways. enjoy it.

I'm in Windsor and spend most of my time on StClair. just wondering if you fish the Rideau chain as I used to fish up that way awhile ago.

take care

Tim J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

welcome to the site FAN. nice to see another Ontario fishing brother on the site. as you have found, this site can help you in many ways. enjoy it.

I'm in Windsor and spend most of my time on StClair. just wondering if you fish the Rideau chain as I used to fish up that way awhile ago.

take care

Tim J

Thanks Tim (and the rest of you guys),

I fish exclusively on White Lake, near Arnprior (about an hour's drive west of Ottawa). Tons of bass, not many big'uns (a 4 pounder is rare), but always lots of fun. D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! I have a cottage up your way (Big Gull Lake in Ardoch). Some mighty fine fishing up there if I say so myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard!

B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×