Sign in to follow this  
Fish Chris

I Didn't Think I Liked To Eat Striper !?!?

But I've been bringing one home for my roomies here and there. The last time, I tried a couple chunks and it was awesome !

So today (fishing was tough BTW, only caught one good one) I brought home a nice, clean 12 lb'er. I just did the quick fillet on it, and handed my room mates two big slabs. They turned it into fish nuggets, and we just used a light coating of Louisiana Fish Fry, and a thin layer of olive oil in the pan, and BAM ! :)

I was telling my room mates > This fish is off the hook :) ......then I remembered, this fish actually came off the hook "in the net" ! :) It was meant to be dinner !

Peace,

Fish

The key is removing the red line. I'm sure you already know that, but for those

that don't, the red line and a little margin MUST be removed. Many people think

striper tastes like dirt (or cardboard) because it is not properly prepared.

The flesh is firm which allows it to be cooked in a number of ways, including the

grill! I think striper compares favorably with sea bass which is $16-$19 a pound

around here.

Hey RW, yes. It's totally critical to remove all of the red meat. Not only does that stuff taste terrible, but I've also heard this is where the bulk of any kind of toxins, heavy metals, etc, accumulate.

Another thing that many probably already know, but just to reiterate > Smaller, younger fish, usually contain a lot less toxins and garbage, simply because they have not been around as long, to absorb this stuff.

A nice 10 to 14 lb'er has plenty of meat on it. I'd way rather release anything bigger than this.

Peace,

Fish

The key is removing the red line. I'm sure you already know that, but for those

that don't, the red line and a little margin MUST be removed. Many people think

striper tastes like dirt (or cardboard) because it is not properly prepared.

The flesh is firm which allows it to be cooked in a number of ways, including the

grill! I think striper compares favorably with sea bass which is $16-$19 a pound

around here.

Tequilia and lime works well on both stripers and strippers. Marinate the fillets in tequilla, lime juice, and a little Tobasco in the fridge for an hour or so. saute some garlic and onions in butter. Put the filets on foil. Pour the garlic and onions on the filets. Cut some slices of lime and put them on. Top it off with a little cilantro and bake.

Stripers are very tasty.

Stripers are very tasty.

Yep. As long they are cleaned well they are good eatin.

Now you know why it's a GIGANTIC industry on the East coast.

Hey Dan, of course I knew Stripers were a huge sportfishery on the East coast, but do they actually harvest a bunch for food purposes also ???

Curious,

Fish

Now you know why it's a GIGANTIC industry on the East coast.

Hey Dan, of course I knew Stripers were a huge sportfishery on the East coast, but do they actually harvest a bunch for food purposes also ???

Curious,

Fish

oh yeah. Every supermarket has them in season.

Curious,

Fish

oh yeah, it's a huge commercial industry. Look up some stuff about gill netting. It's big issue in this area currently. Commercial fishing is a HUGE factor on the striper population in the Chesapeake bay and I'm sure it's an issue along the rest of the coast too.