Sign in to follow this  
bryand82487

Big Pickwick Smallmouth

Got out on the river yesterday morning below the dam for some smallmouth action. The day started off fast with our only 3 smallmouth in the first 15 minutes. My buddy and I doubled up with the second cast and I caught this monster and he caught his first smallmouth ever. I almost had mine boated when he hooked into his. Another 5 minutes later my other buddy landed a big one as well. All three of these fish were caught within 15 yards of each other. We fished until mid afternoon but only landed some white bass, catfish, buffalo, and one green fish after that. I was for sure the day was going to be fish after fish but they shutdown right after we caught those. Either way I could have gone home after the first three fish and been satisfied.

post-24196-0-12822400-1325478628_thumb.jpost-24196-0-19596200-1325478615_thumb.jpost-24196-0-94328400-1325478601_thumb.jpost-24196-0-78667300-1325478588_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nice catches! Congrast! Rocks the key?

Jeff

Nice catches! Congrast! Rocks the key?

Jeff

Jeff we caught these on the boat ramp side right past the point that runs out with the small boat ramp where people are always fishing from the bank.

The boatel boat ramp. Got ya.

Jeff

First pic has some beautiful coloring.

First pic has some beautiful coloring.

Something I found really interesting was that the pretty fish that my buddy is holding is the same fish he is holding in the picture with us both in it. The picture of us both holding a fish was taken right after that fish was caught and the picture where all the markings stand out was taken about two hours later after it had been in the live well right before releasing it. I remembered someone on here saying to try this to make the fish prettier for a picture so I wanted to try it. I believe it was Dwight a while back? Anyways it worked and made a night and day difference in how the fish looked. I wish I had done that with my big ugly one. ha

It works. Great outing.

Great catches. :thumbsup:

So far this winter, everyone is doing really great! I don't remember too many of these types of posts from last year. ;)

Something I found really interesting was that the pretty fish that my buddy is holding is the same fish he is holding in the picture with us both in it. The picture of us both holding a fish was taken right after that fish was caught and the picture where all the markings stand out was taken about two hours later after it had been in the live well right before releasing it. I remembered someone on here saying to try this to make the fish prettier for a picture so I wanted to try it. I believe it was Dwight a while back? Anyways it worked and made a night and day difference in how the fish looked. I wish I had done that with my big ugly one. ha

Its the extra light that gives the bars time to pop. Dark water the fish will be a darker color, But if they have been shallow in clear water or a livewell. The color comes out on a fish. Back around 1988 I caught my PB small mouth and it was not a good looking fish. But when we got in for the weigh in that evening. It has turned into the best looking fish I have seen.

Pete

Jeff we caught these on the boat ramp side right past the point that runs out with the small boat ramp where people are always fishing from the bank.

Be careful below the ramp there when the waters low. Theres only a few inches of water there with low water.

Pete

Great catches. :thumbsup:

So far this winter, everyone is doing really great! I don't remember too many of these types of posts from last year. ;)

If I remember correctly this time last year the temps were in the single digits for about a week. This caused a shad kill that really hurt the fishing. I believe there was a bad shad kill the year before as well. Fingers crossed we have a warm winter and the fishing continues to stay great!

If I remember correctly this time last year the temps were in the single digits for about a week. This caused a shad kill that really hurt the fishing. I believe there was a bad shad kill the year before as well. Fingers crossed we have a warm winter and the fishing continues to stay great!

That's right. Last year was a bust.