Sign in to follow this  
Josh.

Spinnerbaits And Buzzbaits

I just have a few questions that I would like some answer to!

1. Should I use a trailer on these?

2. Braid, mono, of floro?

3. What type of rod would you use when fishing these? I know people who use a lot of give in their rod and people who like a more stiff rod.

Just wondering these questions for future use of these baits! Thanks Guys!

1. Most the time I do use a trailer on a spinnerbait, every now and then I don't. A craw, chunk or a split tail worm. Buzzbaits I don't fish with but probably wouldn't use a trailer if I did.
  2. Right now I am using 15lb P-Line Fluoro.
  3. Right now I am on a 6'6" Med Heavy BPS Tourney Special.

1. Every spinner and buzzbait I own has a trailer hook. I have hooked more fish on the trailer hook than on the main hook by a wide margin.

2. I'm also using 15lb fluoro, though maybe some of the more experienced guys here will have a better suggestion.

3. For me it depends on the spinner bait what rod I use. I have some smaller ones I throw on a 6'6" medium. My 3/8oz and up baits get thrown on a 6'6" medium heavy rod.

1. I use a trailer hook on both almost 100% of the time. I do not use a bait threaded on the hook under the skirt as a trailer. I use Strike King spinner baits and buzzbaits with what they call "magic skirts" that have a trailer built in.

2. Braid...100% of the time, 20,30, or 50 lb depending on where I am using the baits or what rod I am fishing them on.

3. 7' M/F for 3/16 or 1/4 oz baits, 3/8 and up on 7' MH/F

I just have a few questions that I would like some answer to!

1. Should I use a trailer on these?

2. Braid, mono, of floro?

3. What type of rod would you use when fishing these? I know people who use a lot of give in their rod and people who like a more stiff rod.

Just wondering these questions for future use of these baits! Thanks Guys!

1. I always have a soft palstic trailer (I think yum makes the twin tail trailer that I use) I also always have a trailer hook on there. I too have caught numerous fish just on the trailer hook, and like the added confidence it provides.
  2. I use 30-50 lb briad. I fish my spinners just above heavy weeds, and like the braid for ripping the spinnerbaits through the weed tops.
  3. I use a 7' MH fast action rod for spinnerbaits. The length is really for distance (I want a 6'9" for better control), The action is to make ripping the spinnerbait out of the weeds easier.

All of your questions are matters of personal prefrence but I'll add my 2 cents. I don't use a trailer very much, it causes a lot of short strikes and I hate using trailer hooks because I'm throwing spinnerbaits and buzzbaits in and around cover. I use mono for both spinnerbaits and buzzbaits as I like to use a fast action rod which is stiff. The reason for the rod is simple, I'm target casting to areas with cover, and a lot of times I'm ripping the bait free from grass and it is tough to do with a moderate action rod with a lot of flex or give. The mono is my shock absorber since the rod is stiff I rely on the little bit of stretch mono gives to take some of the shock off the rod, if you ever set the hook on a big smallies using a fast action rod with braid, well it is a bone jarring experience. I will add that I make my own spinnerbaits and the hooks I use have an extra long shank so it helps but if you fish a lot of cover with them trailers and trailer hooks just seem to get in the way but everyone fishes them differently so they choose different methods.

Trailer on spiner bait yes on buzz bait no.

For line you can use any line you would like on spinner baits, I use either braid or flouro. For buzzbaits I use either mono or copoly line, wan't my line to have sime stretch.

For rods, on spinnerbait rods I like a 6' 10" to 7' rods MH/F and MH/XF, for buzzbaits a 6' 6" to 7' rod M/F and sometimes I will use a MH/F rod

1. Trailer hooks, only in sparser cover, trailer plastics almost always, except with Terminator baits that have the built in trailer.

2. Sufix Elite Mono, 12lb.

3. Personal preference, but I throw a 7' MH rod.

All of your questions are matters of personal prefrence but I'll add my 2 cents. I don't use a trailer very much, it causes a lot of short strikes and I hate using trailer hooks because I'm throwing spinnerbaits and buzzbaits in and around cover. I use mono for both spinnerbaits and buzzbaits as I like to use a fast action rod which is stiff. The reason for the rod is simple, I'm target casting to areas with cover, and a lot of times I'm ripping the bait free from grass and it is tough to do with a moderate action rod with a lot of flex or give. The mono is my shock absorber since the rod is stiff I rely on the little bit of stretch mono gives to take some of the shock off the rod, if you ever set the hook on a big smallies using a fast action rod with braid, well it is a bone jarring experience. I will add that I make my own spinnerbaits and the hooks I use have an extra long shank so it helps but if you fish a lot of cover with them trailers and trailer hooks just seem to get in the way but everyone fishes them differently so they choose different methods.

I agree 100% Smalljaw. We seem to have very similar views on spinnerbaits.

I use mono for both but fluoro is good for spinnerbaits. I prefer a moderate/soft action rod, basically a crankbait rod, unless I'm ripping free of a lot of grass. Since I make long casts I prefer a 7' rod. For spinnerbaits I use two reels. A 5.0:1 for slow rolling and a 6.4:1 for fast retrieves, using as light as 10 pound for 1/4 ounce baits and up to 17 pound for 1/2 ounce baits.

Buzzbaits call for a 7.0:1 reel and 12 - 17 pound mono. Braid works in really heavy weeds but mono for all other applications.

on spinnerbaits this spring,strike king 3/8oz. chat/white [missing the magic tail] replaced with a twin-tail grub. iv'e been using a 6.4:1 stx and 10/12# hybrid.One of my favorite baits so far..

Buzzin,i like the curado 200E7,30-40# braid, cavitron white/copper blade day,black at night.

Agree w/ most about the trailer hook,works good for short strikers, but have not used one yet this year and have done great without it.

The SK spinnerbait came w/ a trailer hook and "magic tail" skirt trailer

when purchased last season,but that bait has caught so many fish for me,i tweaked it off season..cut back the remaining magic tail,added a grub tail,sharpened the hook and its been catching again this year! excellent baits @ DSG for a very reasonable price!