Sign in to follow this  
Bassguytom

Best Lure/method For Colder Temp.

Just just stared bass fishing last year and fish a clear lake here in PA there are large mouth and small mouth in there that I target. What is the best way to catch fish when the water gets cold? Do I bang the banks or go to of shore humps? Use soft or hard baits? Just looking to put some fish in the boat for me and my kids. Thanks for the help.

suspending jerk baits good for cool/cold weather with a loooong pause between movements. jigs with trialer I hear works, slowly dragging them on the bottom but I don't really use them. You should be able to find tons of info on these tactics. And if you just want fish in the boat, crappie and sunfish are good to go in the cold. use gulp or live shiners for the crappie and a worm with a split shot for the sunnies caught them all winter long last year.

Senko worms, spinnerbaits, small crankbaits have been working over here in Oh. My Senko bite has been outstanding. Jerkbaits, rattle traps, and jigs are worth a try also.

always had the best luck in the cold with a slow retreive no matter what the bait; plastics on the bottom SLOW rolled is my go to method; always try new things tho, this is the best way to learn

suspending jerk baits good for cool/cold weather with a loooong pause between movements. jigs with trialer I hear works, slowly dragging them on the bottom but I don't really use them. You should be able to find tons of info on these tactics. And if you just want fish in the boat, crappie and sunfish are good to go in the cold. use gulp or live shiners for the crappie and a worm with a split shot for the sunnies caught them all winter long last year.

x2 If you want to put fish in the boat, live bait always helps with the "smaller" species when the bass are more or less dormant.

I had tons of success with Panfish Assassins + a 1/16oz jighead dipped in JJ's Magic when I used to fish the local docks during the winter. My boys caught plenty of crappie, yellow perch, not to mention a few nice pickerel on these.

Senko worms, spinnerbaits, small crankbaits have been working over here in Oh. My Senko bite has been outstanding. Jerkbaits, rattle traps, and jigs are worth a try also.

Ditto on Senko, or Zoom Finesse worms fished SLOWLY near structure.

always had the best luck in the cold with a slow retreive no matter what the bait; plastics on the bottom SLOW rolled is my go to method; always try new things tho, this is the best way to learn

Fish slow. Yep.

What do you consider "cold" water? All the lures mentioned work in different water temps but when I think "cold" water it is sub 40 degrees. For my definition of cold water the best thing I have found is a small bear hair jig.

Allen

Thanks for the info. Everyone. Cold water is now until ice over for us so there is a lot of in between. Giving it a shot tomorrow and will go low and slow and see what happens.

My new cold water favorite is a small crappie jig like the darter style and rig on a small zipper worm side ways it takes the profile I a small minnow gets down to depths and displaces water Also a bass assassin on a 4/0 t rigged an dead stick with twitches every so often mimics a shad dying from cold water

For me a jig, tube, or jerkbait is my cold water tackle.

For me a jig, tube, or jerkbait is my cold water tackle.

Same, same same...

Usually a jig or jerkbait for me. Today they were KILLING my Zoom Trick Worms though!