kingkong85

Broken Insert. What To Do?

Was cleaning my rods and reels. Managed to break the insert off the guide (bottom guide closest to the reel) then dropped it on the floor and it cracked into 2 pieces.

Is it okay to fish without an insert? If not what do I need to do?

20140101_150929-1_zpsxencnzrv.jpg

Take it and have the guide replaced. Should be around $10-20.

have the guide replaced asap. A guide w/o an insert will fray and destroy your line. guide replacements don't cost more than 10$. 

Depending on size, 8-$12 for replacement.

I recognize the frame on that guide. Is that an Abu Garcia Vengeance? If so, contact Abu first before you do anything, they might just take care of it for you.

I recognize the frame on that guide. Is that an Abu Garcia Vengeance? If so, contact Abu first before you do anything, they might just take care of it for you.

X2. Pure fishing has been awesome with CS. More than likley they will send you a new rod. Might have to pay $10 in shipping depending on how old the rod is.

Replacement of the guide is a must. If you can get a replacement for the rod, so much the better. Fishing with missing inserts or trying to glue inserts back on will cause problems with your line. 

The tip guide of my venceance was all cracked up, and frayed the heck out of my line. Out of warranty so ended up busting tip off and replacing with a new Fuji one.

X2. Pure fishing has been awesome with CS. More than likley they will send you a new rod. Might have to pay $10 in shipping depending on how old the rod is.

As to Abu's (Pure Fishing's) CS... They'll get you a new rod shipped, eventually... A guide broke off of my Veritas micro casting rod, and during the replacement process I was shipped a Fenwick walleye spinning rod, 4 Penn saltwater carnage rods, and finally a new Veritas

The tip guide of my venceance was all cracked up, and frayed the heck out of my line. Out of warranty so ended up busting tip off and replacing with a new Fuji one.

As to Abu's (Pure Fishing's) CS... They'll get you a new rod shipped, eventually... A guide broke off of my Veritas micro casting rod, and during the replacement process I was shipped a Fenwick walleye spinning rod, 4 Penn saltwater carnage rods, and finally a new Veritas

Wow. That's crazy. I had two issues with veritas micro guides last year. I ended up with three veritas rods for the price of one. No questions asked. I submitted the claim and was told they would get back to me. Both times within a day I recieved an email saying a new rod was on its way and didn't even have to pay shipping.

Thanks for the advices anglers. It's a shimano scimitar spinning rod (use for small fish). Will get an estimate and if it's 10 bucks or more I might just get another rod.

The scimitar, if still made, costs only $29, I probably would not repair it.  When I first moved to Florida I bought a couple of them, heavy by bass standards but handled the fish pretty well.  I did catch quite a few snook and a shark maybe 60-70# on a mh, in the end the rod finally snapped.  If memory serves it was the only rod I have owned that has snapped when landing a fish.  The soujorn, which I own, was a dedicated barracuda rod for me and it's pretty good for 30 bux until the ceramic guides started popping out.  Replaced 2 which almost was the cost of a new rod, it's been a dust collector for years.