So, what are your favorite types of fishing...we all have those methods we are really fond of. For me...I love fishing topwater frogs and poppers in the lily pads. Crankbaits through submerged trees...sign me up. Flipping and pitching, who can resist, and fishing a fluke over a weedbed or worms in the stickups are always a recipe for good times. So, maybe you are an ice fisherman, maybe you are a Kevin Van Dam crankbait burning son of a gun, or you love your dropshot rigs...whatever your poison, tell us about it, we (or at least I) want to hear about it....river fisherman welcome too.

On another note....I HATE ponds/lake with banks that have manicured grass running right up to the edge....there is usually no structure, just muck, and water full of ammonia and algae from the decomposing grass. Personally I can't comprehend why one would willingly choose to fish in such a place.  Any types of fishing you think automatically makes one eligible for metal health counseling (e.g. ice fishing)? 

Most importantly, the best kind of fishing is on that lake that feels like a slice of the wild, of heaven...the flit of dragon flies, the shadows of minnows darting through the cattails and reeds stirred by the wind, the ripple of a bass' fins breaking the water to the rhythm of the whippoorwill's last early-morning song on a sunrise painted lake, as life seems to bloom around you and you feel small and transitory, but part of something larger, magnificent. That is my kind of fishing...no manicured grass banks for me, thank you.

Soft plastics. Wacky, weighted wacky. Next would be Mojo and Texas rigging, split shotting, drop shotting.

• Like 1

My absolute favorite type of fishing is top water for smallmouth. There is truly nothing better than fishing in a crystal clear northern lake on a morning when the lake is smooth as glass and seeing a bronze back come up to clobber the popper. It's addicting.

• Like 2

I know it sounds strange, but I like a c-rig. Most people hate it. But there is something about dragging the old ball and chain around that I like.

In a perfect world, I prefer to fish in the idealic setting that you described (the flitting damselflies and croaking frogs, etc).  However, short of that,  I will ALSO fish manicured neighborhood ponds.  And when the temps are in the negative digits and there hasn't been liquid water for months, I will ALSO ice fish.  In other words, I'll take it whichever way I can get it.  It may sound counter to appreciating these things, but I do not like to guzzle a lot of gas and deplete a lot of resources if I can sometimes get my "fix" locally.  Having said that, I am definitely an advocate and admirer of wild things and peaceful places.

But to address your question differently, I love to soft plastic fish because I feel like I'm involved in the entire process. I get a real rush when I feel the bite and, setting the hook, feel solid weight on the other end. But, really, while I may prefer one mode over another, I try to do whatever it takes to catch fish. And I'm not opposed to switching species if the bass are not biting OR, say, the crappie are in full swing. Last year one of my best fights was a 10 lb channel cat on a medium-light action spinning rod.

I love to river fish for smallies when the banks aren't swollen. The middle fork river is probably the closest to being in a real "wild place" in these parts. The rest of the land around here is occupied either by large acreage farms (not the "idealic" farms of yesteryear) or by houses.

• Like 1

Soft plastics. Wacky. Texas rig and Jika rig. Spinnerbaits/crankbaits for searching.

This year I plan to master Jig.

Top Water addict right here!! Mainly frogs gotta love the top water strike most exciting way to fish

• Like 1

I prefer the type of fishing where I'm taking lots of pictures and videos as well as wearing out the battery on my digital scale . . . .

:respect-059:

A-Jay

• Like 3

Topwater, walking the dog or rippin' a propbait.  I prefer to use wooden baits over plastic and have really gotten into custom made regional baits.   I'm really getting into using home made bucktail jigs using zonker strips to make creature type jigs.

I prefer the type of fishing where I'm taking lots of pictures and videos as well as wearing out the battery on my digital scale . . . .

:respect-059:

A-Jay

Me too!

The more well rounded I become the harder it is to put my finger on a specific technique or setting.. because catching fish is fun and it makes it what we like so much...

I love to ease down a bank and skip jigs under docks or pitch and punch around hydrilla and water willow. I also keep my frog rod on deck.

I know that's not one technique, but I love to shallow water fish and I love it when I can get on a creek or a bank and stay on it all day.

Its also fun when you can spend a whole day fishing and you haven't really made a real cast, just short pitches or flips.

• Like 2

Put down another for the top water bite. There's not many things like horsing out a big one from the weeds on a frog or walking the dog lures on schooling fish, catching 6 fish in just as many casts is SWEET!

My favorite way to fish is however I can get the fish to bite at the time! Haha, if I had to pick a specific technique though, I'd have to say frogging. There's just something about a big ol'bass blowin' up on a frog that is just insanely addictive.

• Like 1

Fly fishing!! After that would be between jigs & swimbaits. I just love hunting trophy sized fish.

I'd take a fish on a Texas rig over anything else. Nothin like setting the hook on a heavy bass

• Like 2

My favorite is wading in the river, lazily fishing for smallmouth on a hot summer afternoon. Floating down the river on a tube with the cooler tube closely following behind isn't bad either.  

weightless stick worm! Seeing my line take off to the side, or feeling that tap and setting the hook and feeling a fish on.... nothing beats it! I haven't been fortunate enough yet to catch a fish on top water, I will be trying again this year because everyone raves of how exciting it is.  I do a lot of bank fishing, there is a long stretch of Lake Ontario near a boat launch that I can spend all day walking down finding different areas of cover, and trying to figure out where any structure is. It's a beautiful site in the morning as long as you keep your back to the huge Dofasco Steel factory :)

• Like 1

Jigs and squarebillls i love them because you can throw them almost anywhere. Hopefully by the end of this year i can say swimbaits as well

• Like 1

I know it sounds strange, but I like a c-rig. Most people hate it. But there is something about dragging the old ball and chain around that I like.

Why do you say most people don't like the Carolina rig?  

My favorite way to fish - soft plastics Texas rigged.  It's really fun throwing a worm in the water and working it.  

Weightless plastics in shallow cover...Cast to the sweet spot and feel that THUNK!....Gotta love it.

• Like 2

I love it all ...... pitching homemade jig ranks right up near the top though. Cranking and feeling that push and then the rod loading up is pretty awesome too.

Tight Lines

• Like 1