what is the advantage of mono backing ? is it okay to put on braid without backing?

Outside of saving some money I see no advantage to backing, I never use it.

Outside of saving some money I see no advantage to backing, I never use it.

I agree, but the money saving is enough for me. I use backing and about 60 yards of braid, which gives me five spoolings from a 300-yard spool. Sort of opposite to SirSnookalot, there are no disadvantages that I can see.

• Like 1

If you don't use a mono backing atleast enough to cover the spool a couple of times the braid will eventually start slipping

If you don't use a mono backing atleast enough to cover the spool a couple of times the braid will eventually start slipping

Not if you tape the spool first. 

check this out

• Like 1

Imo every extra knot is a weak point waiting to fail. Ive also never had a problem with braid slipping with a piece of tape

...there are no disadvantages that I can see.

X2

• Like 1

For me its all about having a full reel (seems to cast better when full)- I'll fill the first half of the reel with 15# mono then tie a improved allbright to whatever I'm using for the reel.  I usually get 2 or 3 full reels off one 20 dollar roll or without backing, I can only have one full reel with a bunch left over thats not long enough to anything with.  So backing is all about stretching my dollar further...

• Like 1

Imo every extra knot is a weak point waiting to fail. Ive also never had a problem with braid slipping with a piece of tape

The knot point is insignificant. When you're using backing, you should never get close to the knot.

• Like 1

The knot point is insignificant. When you're using backing, you should never get close to the knot.

Guess you have never caught a fish big enough to pull drag.

• Like 1

on the bay or potomac?  Sure, I've had a fish strip be down to backing.. freshwater LMB or SMB fishing?  Never had a fish take much line period, exception being on real light spinning set-ups.  Although I suppose it could be because the LMB don't get as big around here ;).

I've hooked 50+lb catfish, 15-20lb stripers, 15lb wiper, a 30lb carp here and there; none have been able to strip more than 30-40 yards off a reel. Even if you fill 1/4 of a spool with mono backing, you're still going to have 120-130 yards of 30lb braid on a typical baitcaster. For most largemouth fishing, you really don't need more than 50 yards.

• Like 1

Last year I hooked into a yard-long carp which made plenty of runs, but none far enough to get to the backing.

• Like 1

I agree, but the money saving is enough for me. I use backing and about 60 yards of braid, which gives me five spoolings from a 300-yard spool. Sort of opposite to SirSnookalot,

there are no disadvantages that I can see.

I used to do this, but there's one disadvantage that caused me stop.

When the spool line has been shortened by normal use,

long casts find the junction knot passing through the rod guides  :mad8:

Now I use backing tape then fill the spool completely with braid,

and now I'm respooling far less frequently than before. 

Roger

I used to do this, but there's one disadvantage that caused me stop.

When the spool line has been shortened by normal use,

long casts find the junction knot passing through the rod guides  :mad8:

Now I use backing tape then fill the spool completely with braid,

and now I'm respooling far less frequently than before. 

Roger

If my long casts are getting near the knot, I'll continue with it. If during that outing I cut off enough enough to reach the knot, I'll continue to use that combo for shorter casts and respool at home. If I get near the knot during the outing, again, I'll respool at home.

It seems to me that the line needs to be reduced by 20 or so yards before a respool is needed. When that happens do you replace all the braid on your reel?

If my long casts are getting near the knot, I'll continue with it. If during that outing I cut off enough enough to reach the knot, I'll continue to use that combo for shorter casts and respool at home. If I get near the knot during the outing, again, I'll respool at home.

It seems to me that the line needs to be reduced by 20 or so yards before a respool is needed. When that happens do you replace all the braid on your reel?

Back when I bothered tying to a mono backing, I was probably my own worst enemy.

I found myself pushing the limit with mono backing to get by with less braid.

This only shortened the spool life of the topping and caused more frequent repooling.

By spooling with straight braid, I'm getting much longer spool life and my main line is 'knot-free'.

Yes, when it's 'finally' time for respooling, I load her up with new braid.

I cheat a little bit though by laying a heavy layer of backing tape.

Roger

When I used a mono backing, I was probably my own worst enemy.

I found myself pushing the limit with the mono backing so I could get by with less braid.

This only shortened the spool life of the topping and caused more frequent repooling.

With straight braid, I'm getting much longer spool life without any knot hassle.

Yes, when it's finally time for respooling, I have to load her up with all new braid.

I cheat a little bit though by laying a heavy layer of tape backing.

Roger

Just use like 20 yards of backing instead of the heavy, dense tape.

Just use like 20 yards of backing instead of the heavy, dense tape.

I'm very happy with my knot-free method, but thanks for the suggestion   :smiley: 

I use a Revo gen 3 stx - I back with 15# at 0.40mm for about 50 yards which is about half the reel capacity (145 yards @ 12#) which leave me with 75 yards of 12# at 0.35mm.  I can cast that whole 75 with a 5/8 rattle trap with a strong tail wind, perfectly thrown, so on average I get to make one short distance break off before I have to respool, for those of you that like to use nothing but XYZ on the whole reel my hats off to ya.  I just hate to waste money like that, I waste enough leaving those 5/8 oz rattle traps hung up in a brush pile I didn't know of...

Line is never a waste of money for me, it's one of 2 things that are essential, 1 being a hook and 2 what the hook is attached to........line.   I'd opt at any time to respool with the line of my choice rather than spending money on an array of lures just because they look like fish will like them.  Line I need, 200 lures I don't.

Line is never a waste of money for me, it's one of 2 things that are essential, 1 being a hook and 2 what the hook is attached to........line. I'd opt at any time to respool with the line of my choice rather than spending money on an array of lures just because they look like fish will like them. Line I need, 200 lures I don't.

Agreed. Never understood how a guy can spend hundreds on a rod, but won't spend over $5 on a spool of line. The expensive braids and fluorocarbons will last a while too. I've had some Tatsu on my ultralight for over 2 seasons now.