Sign in to follow this  
WanderLust

Favorite Prop bait

Looking for a new prop bait to add to the topwater collection.

Was thinking LC Kelly J...

What's everyone's thoughts? Also what's your favorite color.

Deps Buzzjet.  Color doesn't matter, just get one that's pretty.

Deps Buzzjet. Color doesn't matter, just get one that's pretty.

Thanks! Never heard of this one before. Off to do some research.

Don't know about the buzzjet but the LC Kelly J is a really good bait. I've got one in chartruese shad that's caught a lot of fish for me. The old standby Heddon Torpedo is always catching fish for people too.

I have 8 of the buzzjet jrs, love those things, they are beautiful baits. I also like the devils horse, the kelly j, jackal's dagored, and the other lucky craft one, the longer slender one, forgot the name right now.

Don't overlook a Bagley Bang-O-Lure with a tailspinner on it.  I'd like to have a dollar for every pound of fish it's ever pulled out of Kentucky Lake.  Not as fancy as a lot of newcomers, but I can still haul 'em in on one of those when nothing else will do.  At one time, Bomber made their Long A with the same setup.  A bit different action from the Bagley, you can literally dance one of those in one spot for a long time.  Both are good.

I forgot about the torpedo, love those.

The buzzjet has a prop on it but I consider it really more of a wake bait. The prop on it adds a little splash but really its not a bait you can work like a traditional prop bait. The Kelly J is my favorite by far especially now that they came out with some bluegill colors I think the only reason it took them that long was they didn't want to make it too obvious they were ripping off brians prop bee. Brians prop baits are great as well but I hate paying that much for something when the Kelly J is so similar.

Thanks guys!

I have several torpedos but need an upgrade. The LC Kelly and Buzzjet seem like good choices.

I forgot about the Skitter Prop so perhaps I will add to my massive topwater collection.

Topwater bite is my favorite for sure.

Hidden

I like the Torpedo(guiet approach), Devils Horse (little more noise) and Woodchopper. Used to kill them at night on the Woodchopper. They make quite a ruckass.

Probably have a Devils Horse and Woodchoppers I can sell you since I dont use them much anymore.

PM me if interested.

...Bill

I've had very good luck with Skitter Props and Torpedos. I just finished making a Skitter Prop for my son which is a little bigger and has a larger prop. It has a nice little dog walking action to it.

Good luck expanding your topwater arsenal. It's one of my favorite techniques as well.

Anyone know for sure if Rapala is still mking their prop bait? I found s few last year, but it wasn't easy.

Anyone know for sure if Rapala is still mking their prop bait? I found s few last year, but it wasn't easy.

Still for sale on BPS and listed on their site. 

That LC Kelly J looks sweet! I will also second the Bagley BangO lure with props... I only have that and a few Heddon torpedoes. Prefer the bango.