Sign in to follow this  
ABW

Are There Fish In Flooded Fields?

Lots of fields flooded around here, esp. ones by rivers.

Only one way to find out..

Buy one of those electroshocking boats?  :laugh5:

Just kidding. Sounds like a great spot to throw a senko!

I've caught baby bass in puddles after the water level returned to its normal level. Luckily I was trout fishing with small hooks.

Bass will get out in the flooded areas until the water starts to drop, then most of them will pull back into the main body of water. If you find a bench or picnic table, FISH IT! I don't know why but bass seem to love those things when the water comes up. 

Just wondering about the flooded fields, but don't want to look silly out there fishing by the highway, lol

Bass will visit new areas as the water rises.

That is why we want the water level at 303 and higher on Buggs Island and we call the situation "in the bushes."

In a club tournament on Buggs many years ago the lake was extremely high and the guys had a blast fishing areas they never fished before.

only way to find out is to fish it, id say give it a try for a little bit.

Just wondering about the flooded fields, but don't want to look silly out there fishing by the highway, lol

Don't worry about looking silly. I've been casting in the driveway throughout the winter!

Also, if anyone stops and says anything, just tell them you've caught a pair of 7's in the last hour haha.

• Like 1

In the fall when we get a lot of rain and the rivers/creeks flood there are a lot of carp that go into the fields to eat the scrap grain. Not many bass. In the springtime during the floods the bass go for cover, not wide open fields. They head for trees, picnic tables, etc. Flipping is the best way to get them, knock a jig or big t-rig on their heads. 

Fished a tournament a few years ago and the winning pattern was fishing flooded yards. We figured it out a little too late but was able to bring in a decent bag. The guys that won figured it out early.

You wouldnt happen to be by the Ohio Indiana Kentucky area

I actually am LOL

Think about where the water enters and exits, these areas are called funnel zones, that is where the majority of bass locate during newly flooded areas.

Tom

• Like 1