Sign in to follow this  
Texas Pride

Rod Repair

I have a h20 xpress h20 rtc70ms 7ft 8 to 14 lbs spinning pole dont know if its graphite or not it dosent say and about three inches of the tip broke off i was hopeing there is away to fix it or do i have to just cut it back to the next eye this my favriot pole and i dont have money to get a new one i need tips or ideas please and thankyou

Breaks that close to the tip are difficult to do properly and the rod is never the same again.  What I do is cut the rod back to remove all of the damaged fibers and install a new tip.  Sometimes you have to remove one of the running guides if the new tip is too close.

3" is quite a bit off a tip especially a fast action. Splicing / Trimming either way, it will be a different rod. Trimming is the only DIY solution and will raise the minimum lure casting weight some and slow the action. Unless you have a competent rod builder within driving distance, repairing the tip isn't economically feasible on this rod with shipping two ways and labor.  I'd do like Scott suggested and trim it back just behind the broken fibers. You'll need a bigger tip top to fit at the cut. 

Ok thanks yall thats what i was afraid of but can i just cut it back to the next running eye and use that as the eye tip

Don't cut off any more than you have to. Tip top repair kits are cheap enough and easy to use. I'd put a top on and remove the first guide. If you really don't want to mess with it using a tied on guide as the top is not unheard of. We did it rather often before micro tops were available.

• Like 1

Is the tip replacement using adhesives more of a temporary solution until one can get it professionally done, or would it be able to hold up to standard use? I have a broken insert on one of my rod tips and the company is sending me a replacement tip. Im debating whether I can get away with removing the old tip and gluing on the replacement or if I should get it professionally repaired. I appreciate any input

How do i know the exsact size for the tip eye its not like i can carry my rod through walmart or acadamy

I seen multiple size pack but none of them as i rember look near as small as the end and since theres still about an inch and a half left is in nessacry to remove the next eye down

If you're near an Academy they'll swap it out for a new one in my experience. 

Did they require you to have a recipt Bluebasser86 because im sure the recipt dosent exsist anymore

• Like 1

If you paid for it with a credit/debit card and or used your academy rewards card- then you won't need the receipt. Its a house brand rod - they know you didn't get it somewhere else.

Its worth a shot. ....they're normally pretty good about it.

Did they require you to have a recipt Bluebasser86 because im sure the recipt dosent exsist anymore

I have 8 of their rods and only ever had one break. I took it in without a receipt and the whole process took less than 5 minutes. Most of their rods have a barcode right on the rod (mine do anyways), so the customer service rep scanned my rod, I grabbed the replacement, new rod was scanned, new receipt printed and return slip signed and I was out the door. 

Ok im gonna have to try it this weekend the nearest academy is about an hour away thanks for all the infrmation