I realized that when fishing spin reels we all either use our left or right hand to retrieve, the same with baitcasters. NOW, I also realized a lot of people dont like left hand retrieve baitcasters... even those who will use a spin reel to retrieve LEFT HANDED.

whats the diffrence between using a spin reel left handed and a baitcaster left handed? i dont but im just curious. i notice a lot of people like myself will cast a baitcaster with their right hand and then switch hands to retrieve with their right hand as their left holds the reel. knowing this makes me wonder why people (including myself) who use left hand retrieve spin reels dont use left hand retrieve baitcasters as well.

I dont know why im lefty with spin reels and righty with baitcasters but it's just comfortable for me. my main reason for this post is to hear other's thoughts and opinions as well as point out the fact that if you're lefty with a spin reel and righty with a baitcaster you shouldn't find using a left hand retrieve baitcaster that unushual (or should you?).

NOT that i want/like left hand retrieve baitcasters. lol and thats another thing why dont people like left hand retrieve baitcasters? personally i'm just used to how i fish and learned on a right handed reel.

I used spinning tackle for years before I got into baitcasting. My first baitcaster was a standard right handed retrieve, and It felt awkward to reel with my right hand. After I learned to cast fairly proficiently, I switched to left handed baitcasters and it just felt natural to me. Not sure why. But every casting setup I've squired since then has always been a lefty and it just felt right. If I'm using a straight retrieve lure like a spinnerbait or lipless crankbait, It doesn't matter so much. But if I'm fishing with a top water, worm, or any other lure that requires me to work the bait, It is easier to reel with my left and control the lure with my dominant hand. Just like the way I learned on spinning tackle.

I used spinning tackle for years before I got into baitcasting. My first baitcaster was a standard right handed retrieve, and It felt awkward to reel with my right hand. After I learned to cast fairly proficiently, I switched to left handed baitcasters and it just felt natural to me. Not sure why. But every casting setup I've squired since then has always been a lefty and it just felt right. If I'm using a straight retrieve lure like a spinnerbait or lipless crankbait, It doesn't matter so much. But if I'm fishing with a top water, worm, or any other lure that requires me to work the bait, It is easier to reel with my left and control the lure with my dominant hand. Just like the way I learned on spinning tackle.

see thats what i'm talking about, you're an exception. but not many that i know use lefty reels for both casting and spinning reels.

I use left hand retrieves with spinning gear and right with baitcasters, I believe its because with how I use baitcasters its more of a power technique so I use my strong hand to crank the reel, then with spinning its a light drag finesse kinda technique so I have my strong hand on the rod and crank with my weaker side.

This has been brought up probably a little more than a million times on the forum...

makes sence, im the same way^ and oh i ddn't realize that.

• Like 1

I learned on a knuckle buster then a spincast.  My first spinning reel was a right side retrieve, or commonly called a "lefty model" since you were supposed to cast it with your left. Problem was I cast and reeled with my right.  I eventually switched, and learned to reel with my left, which made buying reels easier since you couldn't switch sides like nowadays, and lefties were a special order..  Fast forward to baitcasting, I had a right hand retrieve, and that worked fine for moving baits, but when pitching worms, it seemed like it would be easier to get a lefty, since I only pitch right handed. I only cast two handed these days, and my right hand is always above my left.  My baitcasters are about a 50-50 split of right to left.  All spinning reels are set up right handed, with the handle on the left.

• Like 1

my right hand is always above my left. 

All spinning reels are set up right handed, with the handle on the left.

I too always cast my baitcaster with my right above my left hand, and my spin reels are the same way.

in general i have to cast with my right hand, regourdless of the side i retrieve on... and sheesh specially ordering reels you could use had to stink man. Times have changed huh haha

Ok, lemme say it once more: Get into your skull that there ain´t no "right" way nor "wrong" way, the only way is YOUR way.

Of course the strangest form of your way is people fishing with the spinning reel facing up and turning the handle backwards

• Like 2

thats funny man, seems you've got the wrong post. this is about RIGHT or LEFT not RIGHT or WRONG. so click on the forums tab and keep scrolling until you find it :)

I'm right hand dominant and fish both casting and spinning reels with the handle on the left side.  I started fishing with spinning reels and the handle on the left, so it just felt natural to use a LH baitcaster.  I think the biggest benefit in using a LH over a RH is not having to switch hands on the rod - especially when flipping/pitching.

I never understood why people would change hands after a cast.  It's not like you're pulling in a 50lb fish, so the "keeping the rod in my strong arm" doesn't float in my book.

• Like 1

I think the biggest benefit in using a LH over a RH is not having to switch hands on the rod - especially when flipping/pitching.

I never understood why people would change hands after a cast.  It's not like you're pulling in a 50lb fish, so the "keeping the rod in my strong arm" doesn't float in my book.

this makes a lot of sence, and i totally understand switching hands is unneccisary lol but people (including me) still do it. maybe I'll try a LH reel one day.

This comes up every month or so and this is my standard reply: 

George Welcome

Let's get technical, as there are in fact reasons, not just some lame holdover from days past that put the handles where they are.

What will move the fish during retrieval is placed to the strong hand!

A baitcast is designed to be used as a winch, so it is the reel that retrieves the fish. Hence if you are right handed the handle is in your right hand.

A spinning reel is designed to pick up unloaded or loose line, not retrieve the fish. Hence it is the rod that does the retrieval, so it is the rod that is in your strong hand. If you are right handed then the pole goes to the right hand.         

that makes sence as well, on a baitcasting set up i reel with my strong (right hand)

on a spinning set up i reel with my left (non dominant hand). and when i do hook

a fish on a spinning set up the fact that im reeling with my left never stops me from

landing the fish.

I reel with my left hand on spinning, bait casters and fly reels.  I makes sense to me because i am right handed and don't want to be switching the rod to my off hand after a cast.