Canibalistic

Shimano Stratic C14+ 4000Fa Reel

I got a Shimano Stratic reel for Christmas and don't really know a lot about them. I fish for Bass and am wondering what the best pairing for line and rod would be with this reel. I would hate to put it on a rod that would not give me the best chances for hooking a fish. Any advice/help is deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would go to the store they bought it at and exchange it for a 2500-3000 size. Its gonna be lighter and will balance out better on a bass/walleye rod. You don't need the 4000 size

• Like 1

It will be a great reel, if you crossover fish for salt/ brackish or bigger fish other than Bass. I used 4000 size reels for bass for years, however I do prefer the 1000 & 2500 sizes now. Even at it's spool size, it's still a light reel...

Rod: 7' to 7'6" M or MH Just depending on your primary fishing waters. Nice reel !

I agree. I'd trade it for a 2500.

Unfortunately I cant trade it in as I have no receipt and would not want to offend the person who gave it to me by asking for it. So I will make due with it. Living in Florida, it affords me the opportunity to also fish saltwater so it may be useful after all. Sometimes we have to make due with what we have. Thank you all for your comments!  

Ive used a 4k reel for bass for 25 years...it will be fine

matter of fact i have a stradic fj 4k that i use often

I have 20# braid on it and use it for dock skippin mainly. I also always take it pond fishing with me. It is on a 6'8M

Would a 3k or 2500 be more rounded? Sure but that 4k will do everything you ask of it and more...it just weighs more thats all

I was gonna ask you where you were from to see if saltwater double duty was an option :)

Since you mention that it is, I'd say to spool it with 20lb braid.  You can (and should, in my opinion) add a leader based on water you're fishing and species/size/toothiness being targetted.

If you are close to the coast, bass should be the secondary use for the reel, if I lived in Florida near some salt water, the bass wouldn't have to worry about me very much!

Would make a great frog reel on a heavy spinning rod. You can load that reel with 40# braid no problem. I've set quite a few non bait cast users up with this very setup.

I have a 4000ci4+. It's definitely not to big for bass fishing. It only weighs 9oz, which is less than most 2500 size reels. It has more cranking power. Plus it has better casting distance and less memory issues with the larger diameter spool. If anything this reel will balance better on most rods compared to the 2500ci4+.

• Like 1

It will be a great reel, if you crossover fish for salt/ brackish or bigger fish other than Bass. I used 4000 size reels for bass for years, however I do prefer the 1000 & 2500 sizes now. Even at it's spool size, it's still a light reel...

Rod: 7' to 7'6" M or MH Just depending on your primary fishing waters. Nice reel !

Agree with this.  I use an 8.8 oz reel (15#braid) on a 7' med rod that balances beautifully, it's mainly a bass combo now but I have used it many times inshore fishing.

• Like 1

Depending on where it was bought, they might trade your "new" reel in for a lesser size "new" reel. All you can do is ask. I would prefer the 2500 size.