Sign in to follow this  
flipin4bass

Transducer Mount For Kayaks

Interesting. I believe the Ascend yaks already have scupper holes for transducers... I don't know a whole lot about electronics..

It's a great looking setup but at $87 it's a little steep. Lowrance has a scupper hole mount kit for around $35. I chose the diy method and used a piece of 3/4" pvc and a pool noodle.

Way too expensive for me....unless you need the transducer to be in the water then i see no reason why everyone doesn't use the plumbers putty method.  Costs about $2 and works very well.  

If i needed the transducer to be in the water, i would go with a transducer arm from Ram most likely.  I would have concerns about having to adjust the magnet transducer mount should it get bumped or moved from hitting something.

Way too expensive for me....unless you need the transducer to be in the water then i see no reason why everyone doesn't use the plumbers putty method.  Costs about $2 and works very well.  

If i needed the transducer to be in the water, i would go with a transducer arm from Ram most likely.  I would have concerns about having to adjust the magnet transducer mount should it get bumped or moved from hitting something.

THIS ^^^^

I just mounted mine through the rear scupper plug hole on my Feelfree by using the lowrance kit. It seemed to work great, it sits low enough where it wont get in the way (hopefully). Havent had it in water yet due to winter.

I just installed mine with plumbers putty and it works great. It works just as good if not better than when I had it on the trolling motor on my boat. I don't see why you would do it any other way.

The last 3-4 years i have had my transducer mounted in the hull with no problems. Cabin fever boredom has me thinking about attempting the rudder/transducer spring combo like this guy did.DSC02911-1-1.jpg

had an arm over the side on my first yak. It was always snagging the grass and moss.

My current yak has a transducer scupper cut-out underneath. I use the Lowrance style scupper mount and it works well. I have seen a do-it-yourself replica of that...I will try to find it and post it up.

I spent $0 on a mount kit. I put transducer directly on the bottom, ran about 1.5 feet of the wiring on the side of the kayak around the paddle holder (can't even see the wire). Put some marine epoxy around the screws where it attaches to the bottom of the yak. Works 100% fine. Non issues or leaks. I'd rather be creative and free than spend that kind of money on a kit like that. Even plastic piping and other hardware store items cost a fraction of that thing.

Joe

The last 3-4 years i have had my transducer mounted in the hull with no problems. Cabin fever boredom has me thinking about attempting the rudder/transducer spring combo like this guy did.DSC02911-1-1.jpg

I had this set up for a while too but i eventually went with a thru hull.  Basically on my Commander it seemed like the shape of the stern directed any sticks or other items to the transducer and it ended up getting knocked around too much for my liking.  I did have a pretty weak spring on there though so maybe with a stronger spring i wouldn't have as many issues.  I may give it a whirl again though once i get a new SI unit as that transducer has to be in the water to work properly.

Interesting. I believe the Ascend yaks already have scupper holes for transducers... I don't know a whole lot about electronics..

I have a 128T and yes, they have scupper holes.  I didn't mount mine there because the bottom's a little too flat for my liking.  I believe it could get ripped off in shallow/rocky areas.  I ended up using a 3" plumbing flange from Home Depot and mounted it through the hull.  It took me about an hour to do it at a $15 cost.

Here's how I did it: http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/149282-kayak-bass-fishing/page-3