Sign in to follow this  
Joedodge

The One That Got Away!

Fishing a local nature preserve pond today was throwing a rattle trap which haven't had any luck on. Got a real good something on lol. It stayed close to the bottom I never got it to the surface water is dark and about 3-5 foot deep. Fought a few mins then it went up under the Boardwalk and popped the hooks. So mad lol. Idk of it was a bass, or catfish or carp or what

We may never know ~

A-Jay

Fishing a local nature preserve pond today was throwing a rattle trap which haven't had any luck on. Got a real good something on lol. It stayed close to the bottom I never got it to the surface water is dark and about 3-5 foot deep. Fought a few mins then it went up under the Boardwalk and popped the hooks. So mad lol. Idk of it was a bass, or catfish or carp or what

Ah yes..... the ones you never got to see. I have had that happen many times. Leaves you wondering doesn't it? 

It does it would be different if I saw it jump or something im ok with loosing those ones lol. I really thought I finally got a hog. Al, I've been able to catch is 1-3 pound max fish lol

That stinks. I have had that happen a couple of times around brush piles.

Carp are usually snagged , stay on the bottom and make long , strong runs. Large Channels and flatheads also stay on the bottom, will often hit a rattling crankbait hard and fight steadily , with slow pulsating pulls on the rod. Blue Cats will spin in circles and you will end up with a lot of slime on your line .

• Like 1

I hate when that happens. I remember the first "big' one that got away. I didn't fight it correctly and he threw my trap. He wasn't that big, probably 2 1/2, but it broke my heart!

Anything I don't see that "cuts" my #40 braid or spits my hook I always say is a mudfish or a pickerel. I can't remember the last time I lost a bass :)

From what everyone's saying I had a catfish lol. They are in the one pond I fish alot

Any bowfin in the pond? I know there's some down that way and they'll eat a bait and pull like crazy. 

• Like 1

Ok after fishing the same pond today I figured out what it was. Since the sun was out that thing is loaded with plecostamus ( fish tank sucker fish) lol I snagged another one today on accident! Ugh

• Like 1