Sign in to follow this  
VABasser

Anyone used BPS for reel cleaning?

I live pretty close to a BPS and was thinking about taking a few reels to them this winter for a cleaning. I was wondering if anyone has ever used their cleaning services, and if so were you satisfied? I know there's guys that do a great job here on the boards (and i have used them before), but by the time you pay shipping and insurance on 6+ reels it gets expensive quick. I'm looking for more local options. I'm in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia if anyone has local suggestions

I have not as there is no BPS near me but have used (and will again here soon) DVT - a sponsor here.

Mike's service is First Rate.  DVT.jpg.594f97f5ed49e1ca1faac7a26f3bc2ea

btw - whatever you do, don't let BPS sharpen your favorite knife . . . . .

:o

A-Jay

No

I found this on Google for you. I literally no nothing about them, and would still send my reels to them before going to BPS. Just saying. 

http://www.bishopfishingsupply.net/page3.html

Plus Mike at DVT will offer discounts to members which may help negate the shipping charges. They guy is very knowledgeable and won't sell you anything you don't need. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VABasser said:

I live pretty close to a BPS and was thinking about taking a few reels to them this winter for a cleaning. I was wondering if anyone has ever used their cleaning services, and if so were you satisfied? I know there's guys that do a great job here on the boards (and i have used them before), but by the time you pay shipping and insurance on 6+ reels it gets expensive quick. I'm looking for more local options. I'm in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia if anyone has local suggestions

I believe you have to send your reels to the Springfield Missouri BPS store....I don't think each store has their own cleaning & repair shop.

• Like 1

I know that my BPS does not do reel service. Do not think any store does. The have a service that would have to send it to. They do not carry parts either in the stores.

Based on my in-store experiences with BPS employees, I would be concerned about sending them my reels. This may be a bit assumptious, but regardless, all 6 of my reels were sent off to DVT today!

• Like 1

I'm not a super handy guy, but I cleaned and lubricated all my reels last month for the first time. I have mostly Lews reels.

It wasn't hard at all. I took a bunch of photos as I disassembled the reel, so I could reference them if I forgot how to put it back together!

I used lighter fluid in a small jar for cleaning parts, and used Cal's grease and corrosionx for lubrication. Also 80w gear oil on the level wind.

Give it a try!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kevinator1 said:

I believe you have to send your reels to the Springfield Missouri BPS store....I don't think each store has their own cleaning & repair shop.

Ahh now that is an important fact I missed

Cleaning is still <$20 for members  here. ($22-10%). Even with shipping you're way under what a 10 minute oil change costs for a job that takes 60-90 minutes. 

• Like 1

You would have to send it to Outdoor World in Springfield, MO.  They are nice to order parts from and have them shipped free to your nearest BPS(if you have one close).  I'd rather do it myself or have a professional like DVT handle the cleaning and relube.

Mike at DVT has taken great care of my reels, wouldn't consider another person or place at this point.