How much dead weight can any fresh water bass rod lift without breaking?

Tom

• Like 1

Well that makes absolutely no sense to have.  Might as well throw in like 30 more redundant bearings too while you're at it.  

I don't get it.jpg

A-Jay

• Like 1

Makes me wonder what the shear threshold is on those brass gears ?...  Or that bail wire for that matter.  Kind if like pairing tires that detread at 75 with a motor that does 200.  In providing a 45# drag you've built a tool right into the reel to destroy itself.  Like a self destruct button if you will.  That's why it doesn't make sense.  

You do see that it's a saltwater reel, right?  I still wouldn't buy it, but drags of those ratings make a lot of sense for the salt guys.

4 hours ago, Chris at Tech said:

You do see that it's a saltwater reel, right?  I still wouldn't buy it, but drags of those ratings make a lot of sense for the salt guys.

I use up to 12 lbs of drag on a Penn Int'l 50W for big tuna and Marlin with rods rated for 100 lb line....no need for any higher drag unless you want to go water skiing. Have you ever seen a spinning reel spool go through the rod guides?

Tom

3 hours ago, WRB said:

I use up to 12 lbs of drag on a Penn Int'l 50W for big tuna and Marlin with rods rated for 100 lb line....no need for any higher drag unless you want to go water skiing. Have you ever seen a spinning reel spool go through the rod guides?

Tom

I have.....lol watched a Penn spinning reel back in 95 do that when he accidently hooked a 100+lb Bluefin.  Spool spun so fast it flew off the reel, took out the first two guides before the line snapped.  Yep it was quite entertaining for most execpt the gentleman that was holding the rod.

3 hours ago, WRB said:

Tom

Fair enough, but are you saying you think 12 lbs is enough to get an angry Goliath grouper out of a wreck?  I'm going into that battle armed with more than 12 lbs...

Goliath grouper fishing im using a penn international conventional  reel and 100 lb line on a 5' tuna rod and roller guides..aint saying a spinning cant do it im just saying when the 800lb shark gets your 500lb  grouper something is coming on board or beach

• Like 1

On May 21, 2016 at 0:07 AM, Kidflex said:

Garbage

X2