Sign in to follow this  
Spyman42

Old Rapala jerkbait rusty hook

I bought some old Rapala foating jerbait with rusty hooks from garage sale. Should I replace them with new hooks? Also when I cast them they are very light and only float. How do I make them sink?

Thanks for everyone help

1 minute ago, Spyman42 said:

I bought some old Rapala foating jerbait with rusty hooks from garage sale. Should I replace them with new hooks? Also when I cast them they are very light and only float. How do I make them sink?

Thanks for everyone help

They are designed to float. To make them "sink" you jerk the rod tip. Regarding the hooks, you should definitely replace them.

• Like 1

So if I want jerkbait that sink, I should go buy suspending jerkbait? How do you fish floating jerkbait since they are light and I cant cast them far? I am sorry I am very noob to these thing. 

Thanks again

No....you should buy a sinking jerkbait.  

Definitely put new hooks on the Rapala's.  If you want them to sink you can add suspend strips to weigh them down.

• Like 1

Sounds like you bought an Original Rapala minnow. Most of those are going to be #6 trebles. You could get them to suspend or sink with suspend dots and/or adding larger hooks to it. It's going to be much easier for you to just buy some suspending or sinking baits though. 

• Like 2

It sounds like you have the smaller original floater, if that is the case you need to measure it to determine the hook size. Not counting the lip, measure the length of the bait, if it is 2.75" use VMC spark point 1X treble hook in a size 8, if the bait is 3.5" long, use the same hook in a size 6, and the same size 6 if is up to 4" or even a little longer. The 5.25" model gets a size 4 treble and if you don't understand hook sizes, the smaller the number the larger the hook, meaning a size 4 is larger than a size 6, and the 6 is larger than the 8. The reason I say to use the VMC 1X spark point is that is a decent treble that is very close to the old bronze hooks that they use to use, in fact I believe the VMC spark point is made in a bronze hook. If 1 hook is rusted you'll want to change all the hooks, probably 2 but if it is a longer bait it may have 3 but those hooks are old and will probably break with a decent fish. Cast that bait on a spinning rod with 8lb test line, let it sit until the ripples disappear and then twitch the rod tip, just enough to pull the bait under the surface and then have it float back up, it is a wicked deadly presentation, I was in a boat with my buddy when he won a tournament on a F-11 (4 3/8" length) original floater in silver, and he not only won but also got lunker, and all he did was twitch it on top, he just pulled the rod and the bait would go under about 2" or so and pop back up. I tried poppers, walking baits and nothing worked like that did. Give it a shot and you'll see why it has been around for decades and is still being used by tons of anglers.

• Like 1

Rapala's line of Jerkbaits includes floating, sinking and suspending baits. Most Rapala floating jerkbaits come with a #6 treble hook. Highly recommend changing them out (use a split ring tool for a much easier time), as your hookup ratio will greatly increase. As stated above you could change out the hooks to a greater size in order for the bait to suspend but you risk compromising the action of the bait when doing so. Rapala Shadow Raps are a great bait to look into.

Matt Duprau 

• Like 1

They just dont weigh much . If you cant buy a new bait and must add weight too   make them cast easier ,  wrap some lead solder around the hook-shanks  if available .  If you have small 1/8 ounce rubber core sinkers , remove the rubber and crimp it on the hook shank .

• Like 1

Some jerk baits have casting systems in them like the strike king slash and rapala xrap. These will give you the distance you are looking for and they have great action. I also like the BX balsa minnow and the Flat rap, even though they float once they get moving they get down to the distance.

• Like 1

Back in the "old" days (70's and maybe 80's) - Rapala provided pamphlets with floating minnows that showed the use of weights to get the lure down deeper: either split shot or dipsey swivel sinkers, placed anywhere from 12-18 inches ahead of the lure.  My uncle used to troll for Walleyes that way.  Not exactly a modern way to fish, and some downsides, but it worked.  

In any case, fish them shallow and get a countdown minnow if you want to fish deeper (or one of the many other minnow varieties they put out).  And when you change out the hooks, change out the split rings too.

• Like 2