DrePac3000

Shaky head questions

How do you properly fish a shaky head and what baits do you use on them, I'm  just now trying them out and have used a lizard and caught a bass and I am planning on using a strike king senko 

I've always thought of shaky head fishing as trying to imitate a small baitfish pecking at food on the bottom (if you've ever had goldfish and have seen them pick up gravel off the bottom with their mouths that's what picturing).  So a senko or worm, and lightly lift and twitch it.

• Like 2

I love to fish shaky heads, one of my favorite techniques. As far as fishing one I drag them as slow as possible across the bottom. Drag them about 3-5 feet then let them soak a little while. As far as baits any trick worm style bait works the best for me. Also IMO use the smallest weight possible. 

Typically I fish it like a jig by small hopps or an upward drag.

• Like 1

Drag it across the bottom,  maybe shake it couple times. I mainly use a Zoom Trick Worm.  

• Like 1

Drag it, hop it, shake it, swim it, you can do pretty much anything you want with it. I tend to do a drag with a hop or two and give it a shake when I feel it bump into something. I like a floating or neutrally botany worm like zoom trick worms or Biospawn plasma tail. 

I'm the winter I fish it really slow and shake it on semi slack line. 

When the water is warmer I keep a constant retrieve and shake the rod through it. 

2 hours ago, Brikon said:

Drag it across the bottom,  maybe shake it couple times. I mainly use a Zoom Trick Worm.  

Ditto

Mike 

Can anyone recommend some cheap yet decent Shakey head hooks?

I use the Chompers spot remover and the Megastrike Shake2 ewg pro model which is a little more expensive but work also for fatter baits and would recommend both. 

Mike 

Bagleys makes some decent ones, you can buy those at Cabelas. Also, Walmart carries some with Gamakatsu hooks which is a plus. ? can't remember who makes em'. 

Strike king has a tour grade ball jig head that I like alot & for worms anything saltless

I fish them two ways.  I'll use a very light jig and a floating worm and work the tops of the weeds with subtle hops.  When working the bottom, I like to use enough weight to be able to maintain contact with the bottom.  I'll drag it a foot or two, pause and try to twitch it without moving it.  If I feel it bump anything, I'll do the shaking and if I don't get bit, give it a short hop and just dead stick it for 20-30 seconds. I'll shake it again before continuing with the drag and pause/twitch. If I'm working an area quickly, I opt for a worm with some salt, but if I need to slow down to get bit I opt for a floater dipped in scent.

Jewel Bait Jeff Kriet Squirrel Head

is the best i have found for jigs and 

Big Bite Baits Jeff Kriet - Squirrel Tail Worm

is the go to bait for me when things are tough the tail floats and they cant stand it it works great on bedding fish also.

Sink to the bottom, drag and pause or hop and pause! I like using a 3/8 and 1/4 skakey head, with a trick worm or robo worm, good luck!

I use 1/16 to 1/4 heads, Megastrike Pro shakeyheads or Owner Ultrahead finesse ball heads. Any 4"-7" straight tailed worm. ML or M spinning combo. Cast, let sink. let sit. twitch, shake, hop, pause, drag, whatever. Mix it up until you get bit, then do more of whatever it was you did just before you got bit.

Dont rule out a paca crawl either on shakey heads. Its one of my favorites. Makes the flippers stand up and wave.