Jump to content
JackKlassen

Flipping fluro vs. braid

Recommended Posts

Good evening

I just acquired my first rod that I will solely use for flipping heavy cover and was wondering whether to use fluro or braid? I will mostly be fishing 2-7 ft visibility lakes and fairly heavy pads and milfoil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spool it with 40+lb braid so long as the rod isn't overly fast action.  The braid is more manageable, cuts vegetation, in green isn't that visible in the thick, and you can always add a floro leader later if you like.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're fishing vegetation, braid is the way to go regardless of clarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the conditions you describe, Absolutely use braid! On my flippin setup to fish the same vegetation I use 65# braid. If it was clear water, heavy but scattered throughout a quality 20# flouro would be fine. 

 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seaguar has recently introduced two lines designed specifically for this technique:

http://seaguar.com/freshwater/flippin.html   I spooled up with the 50# braid and 25#

fluorocarbon leader.  If you are looking for something strong, powerful and stealthy,

this is the ticket!

:fishing-026:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go straight braid, the Seaguar Flippin' braid is a good product, 65# size, simply because it handles nicer than thinner lines. If it's wood/dock pilings, etc, I go to heavy fluoro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this situation I go straight braid even if the water is clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roadwarrior said:

Seaguar has recently introduced two lines designed specifically for this technique:

http://seaguar.com/freshwater/flippin.html   I spooled up with the 50# braid and 25#

fluorocarbon leader.  If you are looking for something strong, powerful and stealthy,

this is the ticket!

:fishing-026:

 

1 hour ago, J Francho said:

I'd go straight braid, the Seaguar Flippin' braid is a good product, 65# size, simply because it handles nicer than thinner lines. If it's wood/dock pilings, etc, I go to heavy fluoro.

I was gonna start a new thread asking about these lines. Thanks for the comments about them!

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With thick vegetation I would go braid, probably 40 or 50lb. I have my jig/T-rig rod set up with 20lb fluoro, but I bought a second spool and put 40lb braid on it so I can quickly switch lines depending what kind of cover I am fishing. Flurocarbon getting wrapped around 20 lilypad stems with a fish going crazy at the other end is a nightmare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would a 25 lb Fluro leader be a good idea around heavy timber/laydowns instead of straight braid? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, KLoell said:

Would a 25 lb Fluro leader be a good idea around heavy timber/laydowns instead of straight braid? 

You could, but I wouldn't. I don't like leaders on casting gear. I'm either going straight braid, or straight fluoro. That leader knot is just one more thing to fail and the high impact and abrasion from hooksets with heavy gear and dragging across cover almost ensures it will eventually. Plus, as often as you'll need to retie your leader, that's going to be a real pain. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mike L said:

I was gonna start a new thread asking about these lines. Thanks for the comments about them!

 

Mike

SO far, so good, but it's braid.  I really haven't found a "bad" braid in those heavier sizes.  Just ones I have a personal preference for.  They're all way over engineered for the task, which is a good thing if you like braid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, J Francho said:

SO far, so good, but it's braid.  I really haven't found a "bad" braid in those heavier sizes.  Just ones I have a personal preference for.  They're all way over engineered for the task, which is a good thing if you like braid.

I was more interested in the 65# for punching matts exclusively. I really have no complaints about Power Pro, but it's getting time to change it out and thought about switching.

Thanks

Mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. Spooling my curado up with 50# braid at this very moment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×