Glenn

How To Remove Crankbait Hooks Without Hooking Yourself

My latest video. What do you think?

• Like 1

The only time I've ever sunk a hook into myself has been when trying get a crank loose from a dink.i use a grip to hold the fish, and needle nose pliers on the crank. And I don't really care if the fish survives the encounter. I'm not making a fourth trip to the ER because of a dink.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, .ghoti. said:

The only time I've ever sunk a hook into myself has been when trying get a crank loose from a dink.i use a grip to hold the fish, and needle nose pliers on the crank. And I don't really care if the fish survives the encounter. I'm not making a fourth trip to the ER because of a dink.

LoL the gar and catfish gotta eat as well I suppose. I share your thoughts and I have only been to the er once. That was enough. I don't throw cranks as much either. 

Knock on wood, never gotten so much as a cut from a hook. Worst I've ever cut myself was 5 home done stitchds on my palm from a fillet knife. Never filet a salmon with zero light at 3am after half a bottle of expensive imported Scotch. Great video though.

I've been hooked in the back of the hand by a crankbait twice while bass fishing, but never actually by a bass, only by walleye and northern pike. Bass are easy to get off the hook because you can essentially immobilize them by grabbing the lower jaw with a grip grip right near the tongue, something you cannot do with bass or walleye.

I rarely use a net but nearly always use a net at night and with crankbait or jerk bait fish, good advice.  The reason is made a mistake with a big crankbait bass I hand landed for my partner, he ask me to continue to hold it while he got his camera. The big bass estimated over 10 lbs made a hard flip jerking it's mouth free of my hand and rear treble hooks found the base of the thumb with the bass still hooked hanging by hook in my hand, painful experience. I still have the scar, no more hand landed treble hooked bass!

Tom

Good video...I often use a fly fishing net to scoop the fish up, get it under control and un-hooked.

Then back in the H2O it goes, having never been touched.  Better for the fish, better for me...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BassThumb said:

Bass are easy to get off the hook because you can essentially immobilize them by grabbing the lower jaw with a grip grip right near the tongue, something you cannot do with pike or walleye.

Sure you can, but your hands will be mince meat by the time the fish lets go.;) 

Well there was one topic all the copycat YouTube guys haven't done. (I haven't seen) Stay tuned next week the Gene version and all the others that follow him around will have their version out. 

Nice to see something different done but it does seem like you guys are running out of new ideas for your videos. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2016 at 8:20 AM, S. Sass said:

Well there was one topic all the copycat YouTube guys haven't done. (I haven't seen) Stay tuned next week the Gene version and all the others that follow him around will have their version out. 

Nice to see something different done but it does seem like you guys are running out of new ideas for your videos. 

Man, you got that right!

I don't watch the others...seriously. I've been running this site for 20+ years now.  I have plenty of material without the need to copy others.

• Like 3