Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Evans

My first baitcaster

Recommended Posts

Got this combo from Walmart for 70.00 bucks. Its the Abu Garica black max. It has good reviews and I must say that the feel of a bait caster seems more balanced and more comfortable then my spinning rigs. I will be spooling it with 30lb Power pro. Really excited! 

cOLMLSz.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember how excited you are because at some point you will be picking a backlash and at some point wondering why people use these. Haha 

Congrats on the new combo. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S. Sass said:

Remember how excited you are because at some point you will be picking a backlash and at some point wondering why people use these. Haha 

Congrats on the new combo. 

I think I will spool it with cheap mono and go out and practice. I Know somewhat how to use it but the thumb control is going to be hard to learn and not get a birds nest.  I guess I will just set the breaks high and ease into it. I know these can be deadly accurate if you learn how to use them and its all I see the pro guys use.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just going to suggest some cheap mono until you get a feel for it. Braid will still cast differently when you do switch over so be ready for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had problems with backlash on my black max till I put 20 lb braided on it. Now I can cast my light lures all the way up to my heavy lures with no problem. Tried lighter mono 1st for light lures. The 20 lb braid is a lot better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A trick I learned probably from this site is to cast out a good amount of line then put some kind of tape on the spool. It will eliminate back lashes getting deep into the spool. As you learn to cast better you will hit the tape. Just move it deeper in the spool. I even fished with the tape in my spool for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made the transition to bait casters last year and now I own 3 and thay are my go to rods   I still get a backlash at 2 every now and then but the more you use them the better you'll get 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2016 at 2:09 AM, Jonathan Evans said:

I think I will spool it with cheap mono and go out and practice. I Know somewhat how to use it but the thumb control is going to be hard to learn and not get a birds nest.  I guess I will just set the breaks high and ease into it. I know these can be deadly accurate if you learn how to use them and its all I see the pro guys use.

At first you should also set the cast control (spool tension) high enough that you need to shake the rod a little to get the lure to fall.  That will help the spool slow down at the end of the cast.  Back off tension once your thumb gets better trained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30# sounds a little too small diameter. i'd go with 50# if you're gonna use a baitcaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hattrick7 said:

30# sounds a little too small diameter. i'd go with 50# if you're gonna use a baitcaster. 

When I got into baitcasters in '09 the consensus was 40# minimum for braid.  Today we have people using 15# on their b/c reel.  I picked up a used Alphas F that was spooled with 30# 832 Ghost.  First thing I had to do was make a cast, pull out more line, retrieve, repeat.  Haven't had a problem with digging in since, and I've been snagged several times in lily pads.  Every so often I make a long cast, hold the line snug between my thumb and finger while retrieving.  Then I'm okay for awhile.  I think the trick with lighter braid is to keep it tight on the reel.  Never have a problem with the 40# braid that was my first use of braid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when I was learning long ago, most of my back lashes came when casting into the wind and not being cognizant of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the new combo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good choice. My Black Max is still kicking.

Its the baitcaster I use to practice casting in my backyard. I like it so much I pair it with a Fenwick Eagle GT casting rod and take it out on the water from time to time over my higher priced Quantum, Pflueger and Daiwa baitcasters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, new2BC4bass said:

When I got into baitcasters in '09 the consensus was 40# minimum for braid.  Today we have people using 15# on their b/c reel.  I picked up a used Alphas F that was spooled with 30# 832 Ghost.  First thing I had to do was make a cast, pull out more line, retrieve, repeat.  Haven't had a problem with digging in since, and I've been snagged several times in lily pads.  Every so often I make a long cast, hold the line snug between my thumb and finger while retrieving.  Then I'm okay for awhile.  I think the trick with lighter braid is to keep it tight on the reel.  Never have a problem with the 40# braid that was my first use of braid.

 

Wow that's pretty thin diameter. 30# braid is like 8# mono? Hey if it works that's all that matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×