Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am looking to buy a baitcaster. Would you guys say an Abu garcia pro max, or lews american hero. They are both combos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between those two, I would take the lews. I will say I would recommend saving up and getting a tatula online for pretty cheap. Way better reel and will outlast those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bassangler13 said:

I am looking to buy a baitcaster. Would you guys say an Abu garcia pro max, or lews american hero. They are both combos

Between the two, I'd also say the Lew's. A friend of mine has the A.H. rod and it is a pretty nice rod in itself. Abu combo would be fine too, but I think the Lew's is a little bit better here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say Lews for sure. Fish4bigfish has an excellent idea as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always check your local CL ads or even the flea market here on Bass Resource - for your first caster it wouldn't be bad to buy used in case you don't enjoy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are both good reels to start out with or to learn baitcasting, I started out with an Abu Garcia Silver Max, and I still use it as a backup.

I've never been very pleased with the rods that come with most combos, however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate when people throw out suggestions that aren't in the choices the OP provided, but if I had it to do over again I would start with a Shimano Curado. By far the easiest to use baitcaster I've had. I had given up on baitcasters after buying a few cheap ones to see if I'd like them. Bought the Curado on a whim and never looked back. I have four of them now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't used the Pro max by Abu Garcia, but I have 3 of the silver max reels and one black max and have had really good luck with them.  I think either of your choices would be fine.  Put some decent line on it and make sure you get everything adjusted right. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the guys recommending the Lews, what makes you recommend it over the Abu? Just curious as I've been thinking about picking up the pro max to replace an old quantum that was my dad's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, trick worms said:

I think the difference is the lews rod is better. The pro max might be a slightly better reel

I got ya. thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, trick worms said:

I think the difference is the lews rod is better. The pro max might be a slightly better reel

Just curious how you deducted that? Im not saying I know different but for the sake of the discussion how did you decide that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zeeter said:

I hate when people throw out suggestions that aren't in the choices the OP provided, but if I had it to do over again I would start with a Shimano Curado. By far the easiest to use baitcaster I've had. I had given up on baitcasters after buying a few cheap ones to see if I'd like them. Bought the Curado on a whim and never looked back. I have four of them now.

i hear ya. i'm waiting for somebody to tell him to use braid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, S. Sass said:

Just curious how you deducted that? Im not saying I know different but for the sake of the discussion how did you decide that?

Because the lews rod is sold separately and the Abu one isn't. The Abu reel has more bearings. I'm probably wrong that's just what makes sense to me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ty62 said:

I would say Abu for sure. I find they cast better than Lews and they hold up longer.

That may be true at the price point he's considering, but I've found differently when you get out of the low end models. What rod comes with that Abu combo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, .ghoti. said:

i hear ya. i'm waiting for somebody to tell him to use braid.

...or that he needs an ATV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a ABU Pro Max combo and a couple of Black Max combos.  They serve different purposes.  the Black Max is a little cheaper and you can fish more ways with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, .ghoti. said:

i hear ya. i'm waiting for somebody to tell him to use braid.

Don't get me started on braid! I got some new 10# powerpro and put it on my two best rods for today's fishing trip. Complete failure on the one of them. Probably due to the reel settings, but if it had been mono I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the birds nest out. Braid is great until it fouls. 

Not to mention the tip of one of my g. loomis rods broke off during a cast. It's 10 years old so I'll have to pay for whatever they do to fix/replace it.

All in all a pretty lousy day of fishing! Not a single bite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zeeter said:

Don't get me started on braid! I got some new 10# powerpro and put it on my two best rods for today's fishing trip. Complete failure on the one of them. Probably due to the reel settings, but if it had been mono I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the birds nest out. Braid is great until it fouls. 

Not to mention the tip of one of my g. loomis rods broke off during a cast. It's 10 years old so I'll have to pay for whatever they do to fix/replace it.

All in all a pretty lousy day of fishing! Not a single bite.

 

1 hour ago, Zeeter said:

Don't get me started on braid! I got some new 10# powerpro

10 lb braid is the diameter of 2 lb mono! ? WAY to light of line for a baitcaster! Try 30lb and up! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say Lew's between the two. I have a lew's reel and my next will probably be one too because I really like it. But I'd advise spending a little more money. You'll get a lot more reel for that extra $20-30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fish4bigfish said:

 

10 lb braid is the diameter of 2 lb mono! ? WAY to light of line for a baitcaster! Try 30lb and up! 

That never occurred to me but it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Zeeter said:

That never occurred to me but it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

No problem using braid is all about line diameter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×