Jump to content
Ben_Hambleton4

Under dock fishing?

Recommended Posts

Personal favorite is a jig. Depending on depth I usually fish a 3/8 - 1/2 ounce flippin jig with a flat back trailer to help me skip it up under. This is your best option around tough low docks. If they're are up then I've used Texas rigs and senkos a lot. Even hot days I'll throw a top water frog up under docks and slowly twitch it in the shade with good success. 

 

I love dock fishing. Hotter the better cause it concentrates the fish in the shade and can pull several from each dock. When you figure out if they're using the front or back you can almost call your shot when you come up to the next dock. Good luck

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jigs, T rig, or a wacky rig/T rigged Senko. 

 

You can fish the edges of docks with about anything. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like throwing anything that I can skip up under the dock. My personal favorite is a T/rigged weedless creature bait with a nail head weight. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I am teaching others how to skip under docks, they seem to have the most success quickest with a wacky rigged senko on a sturdy spinning rod.  The heavier 5" Senko is a little easier to learn with than the smaller models.  Plus, 80% of the docks on my lake always have a boat or boats on them, so when a misfire hits the boat, it is a quieter "thump" compared to the rifle-like "crack" of a jig head hitting said boat hull.  And trust me, in the beginning, you will misfire often.

As far as fishing around docks, as Bluebasser said, just about everything else is in play.  A good percentage of the bass you catch around the docks will tend to be positioned near the corners, but it changes often as to whether they want something dropping vertically past them or run horizontally past them (not to mention going from shallow to deep vs. parallel to the dock).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaky heads, texas rigs, rigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a good day the other day flinging flukes at some docks. They barely hit the water and the fish had them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 17, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Kuenro02 said:

Personal favorite is a jig. Depending on depth I usually fish a 3/8 - 1/2 ounce flippin jig with a flat back trailer to help me skip it up under. This is your best option around tough low docks. If they're are up then I've used Texas rigs and senkos a lot. Even hot days I'll throw a top water frog up under docks and slowly twitch it in the shade with good success. 

 

I love dock fishing. Hotter the better cause it concentrates the fish in the shade and can pull several from each dock. When you figure out if they're using the front or back you can almost call your shot when you come up to the next dock. Good luck

 

On July 17, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

Jigs, T rig, or a wacky rig/T rigged Senko. 

 

You can fish the edges of docks with about anything. 

 

On July 17, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Fishin' Fool said:

A guy in my bass club did well throwing flukes under docks last tournament.

 

On July 17, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Fun4Me said:

I like throwing anything that I can skip up under the dock. My personal favorite is a T/rigged weedless creature bait with a nail head weight. 

 

On July 17, 2016 at 4:54 PM, OCdockskipper said:

When I am teaching others how to skip under docks, they seem to have the most success quickest with a wacky rigged senko on a sturdy spinning rod.  The heavier 5" Senko is a little easier to learn with than the smaller models.  Plus, 80% of the docks on my lake always have a boat or boats on them, so when a misfire hits the boat, it is a quieter "thump" compared to the rifle-like "crack" of a jig head hitting said boat hull.  And trust me, in the beginning, you will misfire often.

As far as fishing around docks, as Bluebasser said, just about everything else is in play.  A good percentage of the bass you catch around the docks will tend to be positioned near the corners, but it changes often as to whether they want something dropping vertically past them or run horizontally past them (not to mention going from shallow to deep vs. parallel to the dock).

 

On July 17, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Fishinthefish said:

Shaky heads, texas rigs, rigs.

 

On July 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM, EvanT123 said:

I had a good day the other day flinging flukes at some docks. They barely hit the water and the fish had them. 

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super flukes, weightless senkos, tubes with insert heads, floating worms(white, chartreuse, and methiolate), jigs, and shakeyhead jigs all work for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jig-n-Rage Craw. ;)

CAM00112.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Catt said:

Jig-n-Rage Craw. ;)

CAM00112.jpg

Catt u look a bit younger than i had ainticipate!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on how they're feeding and the time of the year, I've had tons of fun throwing crankbaits and banging them into the docks' pillars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just some advice Ben, some landowners are very up tight about anglers fishing around their docks, boats, and lifts.  I've found that if you actually come up to a dock and the landowner or a person is in sight either on the dock or in the yard, just move on past that one.  The last thing you want to do is hook a piece of equipment or bang a jig head against the hull of his boat sitting there.  This is especially true when just starting out too because your accuracy will be less than perfect.  They don't own the water around or under the dock but put yourself in their shoes; if you were a landowner and people kept hooking or banging things around your dock you'd probably get real sick of it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like those old ratty looking docks with nails sticking up all over the place. those with twenty some feet off the deep end, with lights and rod holders, and rotten old "legs".

and big rusted boat houses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm fishing behind a bunch of other guys, I like to tune a bluegill imitating, shallow running crank so it runs under the docks and target the shady side.  It will run under the dock and even if it doesn't bump a pillar or cross member, being out of tune it looks like it's attempting to escape something. It's also a great way to trigger strikes under cold front conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×