Sign in to follow this  
DubyaDee

LSC trip dedicated to BR

Just like everyone else here, I have learned a ton form this forum. Sunday I was out on Lake St Clair and tore up the smallies thanks to a number of you! 

CED1BAA2-D983-42AF-815F-2619106D7D7E.jpg

First off I picked up a G Loomis IMX drop shot rod from Field and Stream, I saw that they were having a sale on a thread here from Cgrinder. Once I got the rod I watched every video possible and read every article I could on the drop shot. Usually I'm fishing fast with a jerkbait/topwater/spinnerbait, so this was a big change for me. After a lot of reading I saw A Jay posted a few times about his success with a Berkley 4 inch watermelon power worm with a chartreuse dipped tail, so I decided to throw it exclusively on the drop shop. Thanks A Jay, I owe you a beer if we ever run into each other.

4060C4AE-0584-493F-9B5F-F52448ADCD69.jpg

So here's my contribution... I've had a lot of success replacing the middle treble with a colorado blade on my spooks/topwaters when the water is dirty or you need to stand out. This hasn't affected my hook up ratio at all like I thought it would. This seems to really tick them off and they hit it violently. Up here in Michigan the goby is a forage species that I can best emulate with a Biffle hardhead jig and a tube. I haven't seen anyone else use this yet. I like to drag it or use it like a slow crankbait. 

ABFB9CE7-8A9B-4753-AB60-16B7064BB6C1.jpg

1043B660-DD32-4E27-BF40-DC588BAC1257.jpg

Thanks again y'all!

3FE565EB-F768-455D-AC97-B2D0C1886578.jpg

• Like 5

That blade doesn't effect how that bait walks? I would think that would completely ruin the action of that bait. The tube on the swing head is interesting. I've tried it and had no success despite it being one of my favorite ways to present a soft plastic. Funny how something like that works in one area of the country and not another isn't it? 

Congrats on a great outing!

nice smallies there man!  interesting idea on the walking bait.  i too would be surprised that it wouldn't impact the walking action, but not one bit surprised that it would catch some fish!

The blade on the walking lure changes the action a little, but not enough to deter the fish. It's not as smooth of a glide, but its not suppose to be a smooth glide. I only put a blade on when the water is stained or we have a lot of wind. On a calm day I'll use a top water with out rattles, like an original spook. 

Nice going. 

On 8/8/2016 at 11:29 AM, DubyaDee said:

The blade on the walking lure changes the action a little, but not enough to deter the fish. It's not as smooth of a glide, but its not suppose to be a smooth glide. I only put a blade on when the water is stained or we have a lot of wind. On a calm day I'll use a top water with out rattles, like an original spook. 

Sometimes changing the action of a bait can create something entirely new that the fish love.  The first person who inserted a nail into the end of a worm ruined the original action of that bait too, only to create an enticing, new action.  Now if I could just get bass to go for the action of a crankbait with the line wrapped around a treble hook.

• Like 1

Wow ~ Great Bass ~

Congrats

And a Biffle Head with a Tube ~ Sweet looking deal right there.

I'll be trying that rig next time out ~ Thanks

and Congrats again

A-Jay

38 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Wow ~ Great Bass ~

Congrats

And a Biffle Head with a Tube ~ Sweet looking deal right there.

I'll be trying that rig next time out ~ Thanks

and Congrats again

A-Jay

It works,  I use our Sway Jig with a tube on St Clair this year and tore them up.  It works better then the Trig I usually use due to all the rock.

• Like 1