Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JackKlassen

Aetos vs. E6x

Recommended Posts

I've narrowed my search for a new rod down to two rods, the Fenwich Aetos and the Loomis E6x. For 95$, I'm leaning towards the Aetos. Which is the better rod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know which is better, but I would only split hairs over it if they were still the same price. Can you get an E6x for $95?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't used the E6x, but i totally recommend the Aetos, love mine. For 95$? Its a steal

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never used the E6x but you won't find a better rod for under 100 dollars than the aetos. It's my favorite rod I own even at the regular  180 dollars I would still buy that rod. I'm not to impressed with the newer models coming out though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Smallieseeker said:

Never used the E6x but you won't find a better rod for under 100 dollars than the aetos. It's my favorite rod I own even at the regular  180 dollars I would still buy that rod. I'm not to impressed with the newer models coming out though.

Why aren't you impressed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't used them yet or anything all I have watched is the icast videos. Its mostly aesthetics and looks that I don't like versus the older model and I really am disappointed to see a mostly Eva handle instead of the cork/tac material they used in the older model. Im sure they will still fish great though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't give advice on rods I've never used but I have 2 e6x rods. If I didn't own orochii xx and nrx ,glx ,imx. I'd say they're pretty dang good rods. I.e. a corvette is great unill you drive a few lambos, and porche 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my aetos rods. I got all 5 I have now for under 130 each. I just ordered the newest three at the under 100 clearance price. Great rods, very sensitive with great guides and warranty.  These and the old elite tech smallmouth are my favorite rods. I'm gonna pick up a world class on the black Friday sales. I have no affiliation with Fenwick by the way, and I own rods from a lot of other companies. I'd put them up against about any 200 rods out there. I haven't used the e6x but the aetos are the real deal. I'd get 2 aetos rods over 1 e6x any day. I also don't like that they went to foam handles. I'd say it's probably for 2 reasons. Foam is cheaper and lighter than the TAC material. I'd rather have the tac or cork any day though

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, clh121787 said:

Won't give advice on rods I've never used but I have 2 e6x rods. If I didn't own orochii xx and nrx ,glx ,imx. I'd say they're pretty dang good rods. I.e. a corvette is great unill you drive a few lambos, and porche 

Yup just like your example though at a certain point it's a status thing. I guarantee you 99% of us here can't turn off all the driving aids and drive the Corvette all out. There is way more car there than a average guy can drive. This is why you see them wrecked in most cases what the owner though he knew and what he actually was capable of didn't match. 

Same principle with rods. One guy thinks if he spends $500 on a rod he just became KVD. So we all know that didn't happen so are we buying art for the wall, joining the Jones club, or a decent fishing rod? 

I haven't used a e6x rod either but the Aetos is a d**n nice rod. And I can't justify passing up 50% off on a nice rod to pay full price for a rod that is most likely very similar in performance. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I've been using the Aetos 7'2 ex fast since it came out several years ago,  Its not my favorite rod, but a decent rod, especially if you can get it under $100.  One thing I didn't really like about mine was the cheap crimped on tip, which snapped off a couple months after purchase, while fighting a bass actually.  No big deal to me, I fixed it, and put on a better tip.  Rod is 2" shorter, but I like it a lot better now, as it is stiffer, and just right for 1/2-3/4 t rigs it seems.  I like the special cork grips too, they don't slip out of your hand, and are very comfortable!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never tried any of the Aetos, but was tempted to purchase one. Just be careful though, couple threads online talking about grooving issues with the guides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, S. Sass said:

Yup just like your example though at a certain point it's a status thing. I guarantee you 99% of us here can't turn off all the driving aids and drive the Corvette all out. There is way more car there than a average guy can drive. This is why you see them wrecked in most cases what the owner though he knew and what he actually was capable of didn't match. 

Same principle with rods. One guy thinks if he spends $500 on a rod he just became KVD. So we all know that didn't happen so are we buying art for the wall, joining the Jones club, or a decent fishing rod? 

I haven't used a e6x rod either but the Aetos is a d**n nice rod. And I can't justify passing up 50% off on a nice rod to pay full price for a rod that is most likely very similar in performance. 

Interesting assumption.   At a certain price point ,your implications suggest, a fisherman becomes pretentious, or grandiose for possessing finer equipment for an activity (like in my case) that someone will love to do for the rest of his life. Maybe true for some individuals to think of themselves as better than. But certainly not everyone. Putting a lable on on people for using expensive equpiment. Is pretty judgmental in its self. I have no desire to keep up with any trends, maintain any status ,I've never even fished a tourny in my life. Not in it for that. my equipment is not an ego booster. They are simply tools to do something I am passionate about. Things" dont define a person's worth I was raised better than to belittle over worldly possesions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2016 at 2:57 PM, timsford said:

I love my aetos rods. I got all 5 I have now for under 130 each. I just ordered the newest three at the under 100 clearance price. Great rods, very sensitive with great guides and warranty.  These and the old elite tech smallmouth are my favorite rods. I'm gonna pick up a world class on the black Friday sales. I have no affiliation with Fenwick by the way, and I own rods from a lot of other companies. I'd put them up against about any 200 rods out there. I haven't used the e6x but the aetos are the real deal. I'd get 2 aetos rods over 1 e6x any day. I also don't like that they went to foam handles. I'd say it's probably for 2 reasons. Foam is cheaper and lighter than the TAC material. I'd rather have the tac or cork any day though

I have the 7'6" MH/F, excellent stick.:thumbsup_blue: And what you cant see in most pics is the aesthetics of the inlay x pattern design beneath the Fenwick World Class emblems and between the split grips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

I have the 7'6" MH/F, excellent stick.:thumbsup_blue: And what you cant see in most pics is the atheistics of the inlay x pattern design beneath the Fenwick World Class emblems and between the split grips.

What do you think of the stick. Is it true to lure and power ratings? How's the sensitivity? Fenwick makes some very nice high end rods for the Japan market and their us models are very nice for the money. I'm trying to decide if the medium casting or medium heavy would be the better choice for light Texas rigs with 3/16 oz bullet weight, finesse jigs, and single hook reaction baits from 1/4-1/2 oz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYBasser said:

Never tried any of the Aetos, but was tempted to purchase one. Just be careful though, couple threads online talking about grooving issues with the guides.

I have read a couple of those, but they are titanium frames with zirconium or sic inserts (can't remember which), and I've never seen a pic of one with grooves in the guides. And if they did it has a lifetime warranty. Also in regards to the post about expensive rods and spending 500 on a rod or reel, look at it like this. When I buy a rod or reel I look at it as an investment. Much like automobiles and most other things, you get what you pay for. Equipment that expensive is an investment. If maintenance is done on reels properly and rods are taken care of, rods and reels last forever. Unlike the motor in that corvette, a rod blank does not wear out. I don't care what anyone says, I can feel way more on my $300 rods than I can on my $100. And they feel better, balance better, and look better.  They are also much lighter. The fury 735 weighs 6.3oz. The zodias 7'2" H weighs 4.4. I know its a lighter power, but my 7'1" mh aetos weighs just a hair over 4. 2 oz doesnt seem like much, but it makes a big difference when casying all day and when working a t-rig or jig with the tip up. Better equipment performs better, lasts longer,  holds its value, and when taken care of properly can last a lifetime and be handed down to tour kids or grandkids. To the OP, good luck with your decision, but imho the aetos is definitely the best deal out there right now on a rod for $100, and I think you will be much happier with it than the e6x. I have fished an imx mbr 783 and I think the aetos was very close to it as far as sensitivity and maybe even better in my hands and since the e6x is a lower tier Loomis than the imx I would guess the aetos had the edge on the e6x in that department. The warranty is also better, and it has titanium guide frames versus stainless.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 15, 2016 at 11:27 PM, Smallieseeker said:

I haven't used them yet or anything all I have watched is the icast videos. Its mostly aesthetics and looks that I don't like versus the older model and I really am disappointed to see a mostly Eva handle instead of the cork/tac material they used in the older model. Im sure they will still fish great though 

Also not impressed with the new ones, i will miss the cork/tac 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ladybass said:

Also not impressed with the new ones, i will miss the cork/tac 

 

On 8/15/2016 at 11:27 PM, Smallieseeker said:

I haven't used them yet or anything all I have watched is the icast videos. Its mostly aesthetics and looks that I don't like versus the older model and I really am disappointed to see a mostly Eva handle instead of the cork/tac material they used in the older model. Im sure they will still fish great though 

x3.  The Fenwick TAC is my favorite handle material. Perfect blend of classy looks and grippy performance. It's hard to be too disappointed, though, now that I have been able to get a couple of the old aetos at an affordable price. I won't be needing the newer ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:16 PM, S. Sass said:

Yup just like your example though at a certain point it's a status thing. I guarantee you 99% of us here can't turn off all the driving aids and drive the Corvette all out. There is way more car there than a average guy can drive. This is why you see them wrecked in most cases what the owner though he knew and what he actually was capable of didn't match. 

Same principle with rods. One guy thinks if he spends $500 on a rod he just became KVD. So we all know that didn't happen so are we buying art for the wall, joining the Jones club, or a decent fishing rod? 

I haven't used a e6x rod either but the Aetos is a d**n nice rod. And I can't justify passing up 50% off on a nice rod to pay full price for a rod that is most likely very similar in performance. 

someone hasn't dragged a jig on a NRX rod yet... ;)

I have 6 NRXs and a crap ton of GLXs.

I drive a Honda Civic and most of my clothes are 4 yrs old.

not a status thing - a priorities thing.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:16 PM, S. Sass said:

Same principle with rods. One guy thinks if he spends $500 on a rod he just became KVD.

 

KVD uses Quantum Gear.

But you knew that.

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, bigfruits said:

someone hasn't dragged a jig on a NRX rod yet... ;)

I have 6 NRXs and a crap ton of GLXs.

I drive a Honda Civic and most of my clothes are 4 yrs old.

not a status thing - a priorities thing.

 

My point was that every single person who pays for the top end of performance does have different priorities. If you haven't seen in life where a guy with money bought a new toy based on looking for recognition acceptance or just plain to show off and didn't have a clue how to even use it you havent been around long. 

 That doesnt mean that it is wrong but when the OP is stating

On 8/14/2016 at 10:57 AM, JackKlassen said:

For 95$, I'm leaning towards the Aetos.

That to me is a sign $ isnt falling out of trees for the fella. Maybe he is driving a few lambos, and porche? 

25 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

KVD uses Quantum Gear.

But you knew that.

A-Jay

Really didnt care it was a hypothetical.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a number of Fenwick AETOS rods and only one Loomis rod.   The Loomis rod is a very special purpose rod that I don't use very often.(ML bait casting drop shot rod)  I have a couple of the 7'2"  MH extra  fast tip rods that are my favorite jig dogs, currently.  I have a few of the shorter ones (6'8" or 6'9", I forget which) which are MH with a fast tip and I like these for reaction baits, like spinner baits, wake baits, square bills and so forth.  I like having 3 just alike because it makes switching from bait to bait simpler for me.   At 95$ through the Fenwick web site I think that the AETOS is a better choice.  If the low end Loomis was significantly cheaper, I'd go with that.

Both those rods are very good rods  IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×