St Croix Avid and Axid x both cost right at $200. What do you want to do with this rod. You need to look at this totally different. Are you looking to fish lightweight baits like unweighted worms Senkos, and  to throw baits like light weight texas rigs, drop shots or shakeyhead baits then a medium light or medium spinning rod might be your best choice. If you want to throw heavier texas rigs, carolina rigs, jigs etc a medium heavy fast action rod would be best. To throw baits with treble hooks like small to mid size cranks and rattle traps you probably want a rod somewhere between 6'6' and 7 foot with a medium power rating and with a moderate taper to keep your fish hooked. Rods for techniques like frogs and heavy jigs in heavy grass, lily pads etc take a different rod all together. So first pick your budget, next the type of baits you want to use on the rod and then that will help you pick a rod series and a specific model,.  The St Croix Mojo Bass is the next series below the Avid and Avid X rods. They make almost the exact individual rod models in each series.

avid is what I like for baitcasters, the guides on the avid x look wierd to me so I could never make myself buy one, I do like my avid x spinning reel though

Avid, Avid X, or used LTB. 

• Like 2

I love the avids for 200. But I also love my ltbs. I am quickly becoming partial to the new  mojos as well. I have 2 mojos rotating around in my line up and they do not skip a beat. 

I think the avid line for 200, along with the warranty is the best way to go personally. 

Depending on what type of rod you want, someone is selling a Legend Elite in the flea market for $225.  That's a great rod at just a few more dollars than.an Avid.

• Like 1

Avid or avid X or look for a used or on sale legend tournament or used elite or extreme

I think my new gen Mojo for $120 is a lot of rod for the money.

the most versatile avid i have and use all the time is the medium casting rod AC66MF.  Its great for topwater, squarebill cranking and topwater.  My other favorite is the AC70MHF for jigs and even light punching.  IF i only had two rods total i could use these and do everything.

I like the mojo series.  I don't care for the avid handles.  They're longer than I prefer.  The advantage to an avid compared to a mojo or a premier is that they have a better warranty.

I have several St Croixs and will have another soon.

I mostly use spinning rods and have both the "Premier" and "Avid". Both in 7' ml.

The Avid is more sensitive but I prefer the action of the Premier for casting.

Both great rods for the money.