tcbass

What type of bowmount Trolling Motor do you use? Electric, Cable, Changing?

What type of bowmount Trolling Motor do you use? Electric, Cable, Changing?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What type of bowmount Trolling Motor do you use? Electric, Cable, Changing?

• Electric Steer
    • Cable Steer
    • Changing from one type to the other

I've bought 2 boats that came with cable steer trolling motors, a Maxxum and Fortrex. Maybe it's because I'm short but my legs got so tired and cramped using them, it was brutal. Pressing that big foot pedal back and forth all day was tiring, even with the tension turned down. Trying to stand and do it made me lose my balance and almost fall out of the boat a few times. One of the boats even had a recessed foot pedal to fix this problem but it still persisted. So, I tried a Minn Kota electric steer Terrova and love it. I don't use the foot pedal, same problem as before, but because it has the directional buttons and power button as small buttons on the end of the foot pedal it works great. I know a lot of people like cable steer because of their fast response and ability to see what direction they are but I can always see which direction my Terrova is facing and it turns pretty quick, albeit not as fast as a cable steer. It also seems that a lot of open water fisherman like electric steer while shallow water fisherman like cable steer to move them around obstacles.

I hope to get an Ulterra this year because of the features that it has that you can't get on a cable steer such as auto deploy/stow, auto trim, and features that you can get on the new Ultrex (cable steer) like Spot-lock on the foot pedal. You can do all of these things on the foot pedal and no longer need a remote which is great. The only reason I use my Terrova remote is to activate Spot-lock. Now I can do everything I need to do on my TM without needing my remote. My friend says he uses his remote a lot since he is in the back of the boat with his kids, but I don't have that need yet. 

So, I'm wondering how many people on here use electric steer vs. cable and who maybe changing from one style to the other and if so, why are you changing?

I also have a Terrova and like it for the same reasons you do. #1 is the low profile foot pedal. I also just use the buttons on the front for turning and on/off. I like keeping my foot on the floor so I just use the toe of my shoe to operate it. I like being able to use the remote like when I am netting a fish for my partner and can steer us away from the shore from anywhere in the boat. I don't fish areas where having super fast turning is needed. iPilot and spot lock alone were worth the upgrade from my previous electric steer model.

I'm a shallow water fisherman much of the time...just upgraded from Terrova to Ulterra. 

While auto-deploy is nice...power trim is the best feature on the motor for me as an upgrade from the Terrova.

Foot pedal is a significant upgrade as well - slimmer, and with spot-lock on the pedal you can lock while you're reeling in a fish if you're sorta coordinated.

I've had two cable steer trolling motors...one lasted two trips, the other was gone after the first trip.  Too much fiddling around, constant tuning...can't walk around the boat...didn't like them.

I've never understood the need to make directional changes so fast that I'd need a cable steer...but I absolutely get that some people need it.

I'm the opposite from you guys.  I used an electric steer MK power drive for 12 years and this past year I learned to use a cable steer maxxum.  My boat is designed with the recessed area for the foot pedal of a cable drive model.  At first it was different but I got the hang of it after a while.  It was like using a bait caster or backing up a trailer; it was not easy right off the bat but it becomes pretty easy after some practice.  I like the quick response turning of the cable and I have also noticed that there's a lot less noise compared to an electric steer.  That being said, there are advantages and disadvantages of both.  Almost all pro bass anglers use cable steer models like the fortrex.  Supposedly the new ultrex has the best of both worlds but I can't afford that thing right now so I'll stick with the maxxum.

I have a minnkota electric steer as well - it was mostly a forced decision due to space, so I didn't think much of it, but I've never felt held back or anything by it's steering

I also like being able to bring the foot pedal to the back / middle of the boat as well when others are in the boat that aren't able to fish and steer at the same time

48 minutes ago, Further North said:

I'm a shallow water fisherman much of the time...just upgraded from Terrova to Ulterra. 

While auto-deploy is nice...power trim is the best feature on the motor for me as an upgrade from the Terrova.

Foot pedal is a significant upgrade as well - slimmer, and with spot-lock on the pedal you can lock while you're reeling in a fish if you're sorta coordinated.

I've had two cable steer trolling motors...one lasted two trips, the other was gone after the first trip.  Too much fiddling around, constant tuning...can't walk around the boat...didn't like them.

I've never understood the need to make directional changes so fast that I'd need a cable steer...but I absolutely get that some people need it.

Also, if it's windy and I'm fishing near docks and someone hooks a fish it's nice to hit Spot-lock and then go help them. Right now I have to use the remote, hopefully I'll get an Ulterra and can just hit the Spot-lock button on the pedal. It's also nice when you get a knot or need to replace a lure, or re-tie, you don't lose your spot, especially if it's windy out, you don't want to get blown into a dock or boat.

19 minutes ago, MrPeanut said:

I have a minnkota electric steer as well - it was mostly a forced decision due to space, so I didn't think much of it, but I've never felt held back or anything by it's steering

I also like being able to bring the foot pedal to the back / middle of the boat as well when others are in the boat that aren't able to fish and steer at the same time

I didn't know the foot pedal was slimmer, that will be nice. I also love being able to move the pedal around. I like to sit and fish a lot, so when I'm fishing from the right side, I move the foot pedal to the starboard side and vice versa. It's very convenient that way. 

I have a Motor Guide wireless. I have to sit to fish due to a bad back. I use the small remote clipped to a string around my neck. My only complaint is I have to use baits that won't sink and get hung as it takes my hand away from the reel to control the boat. The old style wireless foot pedal just had large buttons on it but you had to look down to use it. It wasn't intuitive or by feel. I've never used a cable drive so I have no idea if it would work with a sitting angler very well.

I use a motor guide great white,hand controlled 24 volt 82 lb. thrust. like the control  keeps the deck clear.

1 hour ago, tcbass said:

Also, if it's windy and I'm fishing near docks and someone hooks a fish it's nice to hit Spot-lock and then go help them. Right now I have to use the remote, hopefully I'll get an Ulterra and can just hit the Spot-lock button on the pedal. It's also nice when you get a knot or need to replace a lure, or re-tie, you don't lose your spot, especially if it's windy out, you don't want to get blown into a dock or boat.

Yep.  All of that.

Originally I had cable steer.

Then bought a motorguide xi5......I loved it!

And hated it........the sound it made when it turned drove me nuts. Just sounded so loud to me.

I know it was just me......but I went back to cable steer.

Sure miss that pinpoint (spot lock) though.

In the end you just have to do what makes YOU happy..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BassnChris said:

And hated it........the sound it made when it turned drove me nuts. Just sounded so loud to me.

I thought the sound it made when it committed suicide by drowning itself bothered you more :hahaha-024:

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, BassnChris said:

With the new Ultrex, I believe you get cablesteer and Spot-lock. Looks like someone needs a new trolling motor!  lol

18 minutes ago, slonezp said:

I thought the sound it made when it committed suicide by drowning itself bothered you more :hahaha-024:

It still worked.....sold it for enough to cover the insurance deductible and bought another.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2016 at 6:13 PM, BassnChris said:

That's it, right there.

What's right for me isn't right for everyone else...and vice versa.

• Like 1

MotorGuide Xi3 cable steer.  Does take up room on the deck.  But if alone, I can stretch the foot pedal back to the Captains chair.  Do wish I could afford the remote (iPilot) and Spot Lock technology.  The MotorGuide does repond well, can turn fast especially on high speeds; stows and deploys easily.  Good Luck.

Both mine are cable steer.  I prefer cable steer when dealing with tight quarters by docks, over hanging trees, or other obstacles.  In open water, holding over structure, I am very envious of my buddies iPilot system.

• Like 1