I am torn between which of the G Loomis Drop shot rods to get. The mag-light, or the mag-medium? I am looking for a more all-around spinning rod, but I also want a rod that will work well for drop shot fishing. Any suggestions?

I had one of the original G Loomis DS rods and it was way too whippy!  Sold it and got a Cumara, 7' 2" Medium, Fast.  Perfect DS rod! 

• Like 1

I agree that the tips of the Loomis dropshot series are too soft for general use. I have the mag medium Loomis and it's a great dropshot rod. I would probably go with a SJR 782 for general use.

• Like 1

I played with them at a fishing show.  The mag light was was way too limber for my liking and I like a softer rod than most.  I went with a Dobyns Champ 702 instead and then the 701 for lighter dropshotting.  

I think the loomis drop shot rods are arguably the least versatile technique specific rods in the lineup.  I'd go with the 852 or 822syr for a more all-arounder. 

If you want a rod just for vertical drop shorting then get that rod. But like others have said, very whippy and doesn't lend itself to hook setting techniques like tubes or shakey heads. The 852 is a great all around rod. It will not due drop shots perfectly but will work. Wanting something a little more towards shakey and drop shotting then get a syr series. 

I'd get the Mag Med for what you're looking for. I have the mag light, and I also thought it was too whippy at first. I don't have any issue hooking or landing fish with this rod. If you're looking for an all around spinning rod, you should get something heavier, but for drop shot I like the mag light.

Technique specific rods generally don't make great general use rods. 

my fav. loomis spinning rod for all around use is the SJR842 available in a few flavours, GL3, E6X and I believe IMX.

I have the GL3 version, its amazing. classic taper.