Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey guys I'm looking for some help with the different models of the daiwa tatula line. I've never owned one and decided after Some reading that I want to try one of these out. I've looked at several online. The original, type R, and CT. What are the main differences? Its going on my jig rod so I need a RH and would like a fast retrieve ratio. I also would like dual brakes but if not I prefer the magnetic sideplate adjustment. I don't want to go over $130. 

So what are the differences? And which do you suggest for this setup? Thanks

Also if anyone has an opinion on the Lews tourney pro mg I'd be glad to hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Original is cheaper, CT is slightly more compact . Same performance. I have an original, it's great, use it with a 6'8" Falcon rod casting blade baits. Can't recommend it enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First the Tatulas only have magnetic braking.  The original Tatula has the 8.1:1 ratio only in the Type R.  As stated casting performance is the same for both....at least for a guy like me.  TT came to the same conclusion.  Spool on the Type R is lighter, but I can't see a difference in performance.  The CT models both have the same gear ratios.  They are a bit smaller than the original models.  You won't need dual braking with the Daiwas as there is more than enough adjustment with the magnetic dial.  Heck I do fine with the 10 available on my older Daiwas.  The Tats have 20.  Both Type Rs have 2 CRBB bearings while the standards don't.  I personally favor the finish on the original Type R over the other 3 versions.  You can find the original Type R for less than $125 with free shipping on fleabay.  I'd go with the 8.1:1 ratio.

I didn't see a Lew's  tourney pro mg on TW.  However, I do have the Tournament MB.   The Tournament MB is .5 oz. lighter than the CT and .9 oz. lighter than the original, has a very nice finish and is a dual control reel.  I believe it is smaller than the CT, but don't have a CT to compare it to.  It can be found for just under $110.  I didn't get to spend much time on the water with mine this year....with any reel for that matter.  :(   Some guys on here will tell you their Lew's reels will outcast any other they own.  Although I like my MB, I didn't feel it casts any further than most of my other reels, and took a bit more adjusting to cast as well for me as the Tatulas.  That could be because I learned on a Diawa and over half my reels are magnetic only, so I am very familiar with magnetic braking.  Or it could be because you have twice as many adjustments to make.  :lol:  I will say that I set the centrifugal brakes with 2 on, left it there and used the magnetic brake and cast control to fine tune the reel.

I believe this is a case where you can't go wrong.  If at all possible, mount each reel on your rod and see which feels best to you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one Tatula 100 and three Tatula Type R's.  Eyes closed, I don't think I could tell the difference.  And, while I often claim that I don't care what my fishing equipment looks like......the Type R's look pretty sharp

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@new2BC4bass  awesome answer. Thank you.

Also I've seen alit of people say the originals tats can be had for $90. Where are they at this price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, riverbasser said:

@new2BC4bass  awesome answer. Thank you.

Also I've seen alit of people say the originals tats can be had for $90. Where are they at this price?

Ebay.  Just looked and not only can you find an original Tat for $89.95, but the CT can be found for $89.99.  I'd opt for the CT as it is a bit smaller and a bit lighter plus it is the newer model.....unless you want a little heavier reel to balance a rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it will come down to what feels best to you , i held each of the models of the Tatula's and Zilllions , to me , they don't feel good in hand because of the wide , flat front of the reel , to the way i palm my reels that broad front of the reel makes it feel awkward . on the other hand , Lew's reels feel a lot better to palm and fit nice in hand .

like i said , a lot of these reels are great , it's up to you to decide what's best for YOU ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guess ill try to find them in town. does academy or gander mountain normally carry them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was mainly a spinning gear fisherman prior to this season but based on recommendation I bought 4 Tatula casting reels for this fishing season by the end of the year I found myself bringing more casting rods than spinning rods with me. The Tatulas are very easy to use and cast a mile. The biggest complaint that I have read about them is for the guys that like to palm their rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of the older model Type Rs.  Too me, they cast just as good as my Lews reels, except for my BB1.  Nothing beats a BB1.  Size is no problem for me, but I wear at least an XXL glove.  I am looking at some higher end Daiwa models, but having a tough time justifying the purchase since the Tatulas are so nice.  And if you shop, like others have said, you can get some bargains 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really need to hold one then because I do palm my reels. Anyone ever use the BPS pro qualifier and can give me an idea of the difference in size? That's what I currently have on all my rods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have three Type R reels. Two are the Cabela's version (Called Arachnid, $110, used points, so "free"), 6.3:1, one is the "real" Daiwa Type R (100HSL, 7.3:1, $82, brand new in box, eBay).

They work just fine, I am able to palm the reel well, but I also wear an XXL glove.  They cast great, as well as anything else I have with the exception of the Shimano Calais DC.

I would not hesitate to buy another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Further North said:

I have three Type R reels. Two are the Cabela's version (Called Arachnid, $110, used points, so "free"), 6.3:1, one is the "real" Daiwa Type R (100HSL, 7.3:1, $82, brand new in box, eBay).

They work just fine, I am able to palm the reel well, but I also wear an XXL glove.  They cast great, as well as anything else I have with the exception of the Shimano Calais DC.

I would not hesitate to buy another.

Sounds good on everything, but I do not wear a xxl glove. More like just large, they can't be that big tho. I'm guna try to find one this weekend to hold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just get the ct model and be done. Palms well. I wear a 7 1/2 glove and can palm the original tats fine. People are just really spoiled nowadays when it comes to size of reels.  For $130 the ct type r can't be beat. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kidflex said:

just get the ct model and be done. Palms well. I wear a 7 1/2 glove and can palm the original tats fine. People are just really spoiled nowadays when it comes to size of reels.  For $130 the ct type r can't be beat. 

I didn't want to be "that guy", but I feel the same.  My hands are average size for a guy my size (5'10") so fit a large size glove...although I couldn't tell you exact size, but I have no problem palming any baitcast reel I've got including such reels as the Procaster 100HN, older Trions, Zillions and even 1600 size Abu round reels.  Nor does their enormous weight bother me.  :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kidflex said:

just get the ct model and be done. Palms well. I wear a 7 1/2 glove and can palm the original tats fine. People are just really spoiled nowadays when it comes to size of reels.  For $130 the ct type r can't be beat. 

I'm primarily a Shimano guy but Kidflex got it right.  Reels are so much more ergo  friendly these days.  Even reels like 100B and D Shimanos which were once considered compact feel like a goose egg in hand now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kidflex said:

just get the ct model and be done. Palms well. I wear a 7 1/2 glove and can palm the original tats fine. People are just really spoiled nowadays when it comes to size of reels.  For $130 the ct type r can't be beat. 

I still hope I can find some to hold since I don't believe I'm that picky. What is the difference between the regular CT and the CT type R? Is the type r worth it over the regular

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone used a Tatula CT 50th Anniversary?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, new2BC4bass said:

I didn't want to be "that guy", but I feel the same.  My hands are average size for a guy my size (5'10") so fit a large size glove...although I couldn't tell you exact size, but I have no problem palming any baitcast reel I've got including such reels as the Procaster 100HN, older Trions, Zillions and even 1600 size Abu round reels.  Nor does their enormous weight bother me.  :lol:

That's funny.  I've always wondered how many of the guys that gripe about reel weights go to the gym and lift weights several times a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2016 at 11:16 AM, riverbasser said:

@new2BC4bass  awesome answer. Thank you.

Also I've seen alit of people say the originals tats can be had for $90. Where are they at this price?

American Legacy Fishing has original tatula for that price.

20 hours ago, riverbasser said:

Sounds good on everything, but I do not wear a xxl glove. More like just large, they can't be that big tho. I'm guna try to find one this weekend to hold

I have fairly small hands, and while the original tatula is bigger than my other reels, it is most certainly not too large for me to palm comfortably. I would say instead that it "fills" and "fits" the hand well; doesn't feel awkward to me at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeff H said:

That's funny.  I've always wondered how many of the guys that gripe about reel weights go to the gym and lift weights several times a week.

I don't know how many lift weights but I can say technology is nice. If you have held a rod and reel from the 80s compared to a somewhat comparable rod of now days its like night and day. The newer lighter rod and reels to me are very nice to hold on to and fish all day. Much more sensitive to feel with to me. Now as far as all the "balanced" talk goes I don't really guess I have the superb knowledge of the few elite who speak of a oz or fraction of an oz to balance a rod and reel. To me my old rod n reels feel heavy and crude kind a like me. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, S. Sass said:

I don't know how many lift weights but I can say technology is nice. If you have held a rod and reel from the 80s compared to a somewhat comparable rod of now days its like night and day. The newer lighter rod and reels to me are very nice to hold on to and fish all day. Much more sensitive to feel with to me. Now as far as all the "balanced" talk goes I don't really guess I have the superb knowledge of the few elite who speak of a oz or fraction of an oz to balance a rod and reel. To me my old rod n reels feel heavy and crude kind a like me. :P 

80s?  Try 60s.  I love how light the new rods are and can also appreciate light reels.  My Zillion may weigh almost twice as much as my Helios Air, but it is still one of my favorites.  When it comes to rods I'll take on of today's anytime over what I use to fish with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×