Josh_Bovaird

Ultimate 1/2oz jig rod

25 posts in this topic

If you could or have built the ultimate rod for flipping 1/2oz jigs what is it.  Ive got 2 rods lined up to be built and I've been looking at components and blanks lately.  Don't be picture shy I love you're guys work!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of cover?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there are a lot of blanks that people consider the best and i will stay very general based on no information provided. 

http://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks/rod-building-blanks-brands/phenix-rod-building-blanks/phenix-k2-freshwater-series

 

http://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks/st-croix-fishing-rod-blanks/SCV-Casting-Rod-Blanks

 

And the north fork composites HM blanks are or were considered some of the best.  Might be able to find one on closeout as they are going out of buisness i last heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

What kind of cover?

Well I don't fish much open water I like to beat the structure.  I want a sensitive rod because i have big dumb hands and every little bit helps.  Ill spend a little extra on the blank thats no problem

7 hours ago, Angry John said:

Well there are a lot of blanks that people consider the best and i will stay very general based on no information provided. 

http://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks/rod-building-blanks-brands/phenix-rod-building-blanks/phenix-k2-freshwater-series

 

http://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks/st-croix-fishing-rod-blanks/SCV-Casting-Rod-Blanks

 

And the north fork composites HM blanks are or were considered some of the best.  Might be able to find one on closeout as they are going out of buisness i last heard.

I don't like how Phenix doesn't list the power of the rods and St Crois has never done it for me but I've never had a higher end rod just some Mojo Bass's and some Triumphs.  Are these blanks better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking at the MHX Elite Pro Blank EPS86MHXF or the MHX High-Mod Gen II Mag Bass Rod Blank MB863XF.  will probably run Fuji K series guides and not sure on handle yet.  Thought about trying the ALPS MVT TORA seat and either the Winn grips or maybe some carbon or kevalr tubing for the grips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh, 

So you want a soft tipped rod to pitch/flip 1/2 jigs? Isn't that a bit counter productive, a rod tip that first gives to the load before lockup when setting the hook, and would have a bigger bend in the rod when you hangup on structure, than have a big pop away from the structure upon release? Wouldn't be my pick.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Angry John said:

And the north fork composites HM blanks are or were considered some of the best.  Might be able to find one on closeout as they are going out of buisness i last heard.


NFC is not going out of business and the blanks aren’t going to be going to be on closeout.

They had a simple bankruptcy restructure (a lot of businesses do it), they're reformed and never stopped making blanks and doing business.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Josh, 

So you want a soft tipped rod to pitch/flip 1/2 jigs? Isn't that a bit counter productive, a rod tip that first gives to the load before lockup when setting the hook, and would have a bigger bend in the rod when you hangup on structure, than have a big pop away from the structure upon release? Wouldn't be my pick.

So what would your pick be then?  i used a gloom is gl2 854c all last year and was working around those permitters.  The other blank i was looking at was the MHX High-Mod Gen II Mag Taper Rod Blank MB874 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just built a rod on the MB874 blank but i have not had a chance to fish it yet.  It is a stiffer blank then I was expecting,  similar to a similar heavy rod in the st croix series sc3 or maybe SC4 or so.  I actually built it for a frog and 1/2 oz jig rod and I think it will work out fine for that.

 

From what I have seen the Mudhole blank is a nice budget blank but it is not going to compare to a Northfork IM, St croix SC5 or a Point Blank rod blank.  It reminds me of a couple of the heavier rainshadow revolution or immortal blanks that i have handled 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, faygo1979 said:

I just built a rod on the MB874 blank but i have not had a chance to fish it yet.  It is a stiffer blank then I was expecting,  similar to a similar heavy rod in the st croix series sc3 or maybe SC4 or so.  I actually built it for a frog and 1/2 oz jig rod and I think it will work out fine for that.

 

From what I have seen the Mudhole blank is a nice budget blank but it is not going to compare to a Northfork IM, St croix SC5 or a Point Blank rod blank.  It reminds me of a couple of the heavier rainshadow revolution or immortal blanks that i have handled 

Thast why I'm asking I'm new to the game and have only built on MHX.  I was looking at the st croix but the color choices really blow in my opinion I like natural blanks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7'6" heavy/fast

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

depending on when you fished a rage you most likely fished an scII blank.  SCV blanks are not from the same planet.  If your looking for an unpainted blank then you may want the NFC hm blanks.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hunterPRO1 said:

7'6" heavy/fast

 

 

I have one waiting for guides to come in now

12 minutes ago, Angry John said:

depending on when you fished a rage you most likely fished an scII blank.  SCV blanks are not from the same planet.  If your looking for an unpainted blank then you may want the NFC hm blanks.

ill look into them thanks and i haven't touched a Rage only the Mojo and Triumph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a day or two ago:

 

Well, my advice would be to go all custom and we have several accomplished builders on the Forum

including Mike at DVT, a sponsor. http://www.delawarevalleytackle.com/  He built a Senko rod for me

and ghoti, BassResource Moderator has built me three. Alpster, long time member of the Forum built another. Two more were built by Mr. Batson http://batsonenterprises.com/, BR sponsor.

 

Let's start with one rod for jigs to see how well you like a custom build. Starting with the blank, I will suggest the Rainshadow Eternity2 ETEC76MH-SS http://www.rainshadowrodblanks.com/product-line/eternity2-bass-casting/; Toray reel seat and Alps Titanium Guides. I like a spiral wrap and split grips (10" handle).

 

My rod is matched with a Shimano Aldebaran, but you should also consider the Metanium or Conquest for this rod. I'm spooled with 40# Seaguar Smackdown http://seaguar.com/freshwater/braid.html and 15# Tatsu leader http://seaguar.com/shop-direct/shop_seaguar/tatsu.html

 

:fishing-026:

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

From a day or two ago:

 

Well, my advice would be to go all custom and we have several accomplished builders on the Forum

including Mike at DVT, a sponsor. http://www.delawarevalleytackle.com/  He built a Senko rod for me

and ghoti, BassResource Moderator has built me three. Alpster, long time member of the Forum built another. Two more were built by Mr. Batson http://batsonenterprises.com/, BR sponsor.

 

Let's start with one rod for jigs to see how well you like a custom build. Starting with the blank, I will suggest the Rainshadow Eternity2 ETEC76MH-SS http://www.rainshadowrodblanks.com/product-line/eternity2-bass-casting/; Toray reel seat and Alps Titanium Guides. I like a spiral wrap and split grips (10" handle).

 

My rod is matched with a Shimano Aldebaran, but you should also consider the Metanium or Conquest for this rod. I'm spooled with 40# Seaguar Smackdown http://seaguar.com/freshwater/braid.html and 15# Tatsu leader http://seaguar.com/shop-direct/shop_seaguar/tatsu.html

 

:fishing-026:

 

I talk to Mike a decent amount hes a good dude and live about 2 hrs from me.  How do you like that Toray seat is it worth the money and more sensitive?  Ive been thinking about doing a spiral wrap and seeing how I like it I see its a personal preference thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although it is VERY comfortable to me, ghoti is using a different brand that he thinks

I will like just as well. I don't recall the brand right now, but if he sees this post I am

sure he will respond.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Angry John said:

depending on when you fished a rage you most likely fished an scII blank.  SCV blanks are not from the same planet.  If your looking for an unpainted blank then you may want the NFC hm blanks.

Rage rods have always been SCIII.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

Although it is VERY comfortable to me, ghoti is using a different brand that he thinks

I will like just as well. I don't recall the brand right now, but if he sees this post I am

sure he will respond.

I used a Fuji ECS seat for that build. Wanted to save a little weight. The ECS is lighter than the MVT, which is lighter than the textouch. Kent requested a tip neutral rod. With that blank, 7'6", tip neutral would require one of two things; a stupidly long handle, or a heavy handle. Since he wanted a 10" handle, the rod needed a heavy rear end.

 

I have a rod that I built with that MVT seat. I'm a big fan of Batson products. Love the Eternity and Immortal blanks, F series guides, textouch seats, etc. my power wrapper is a Alps. But that MVT reel seat is not worth the price of admission. I put it in the same class as Fuji's Torzite guides. They are for the guy who's ego demands his toys be the most expensive.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My flipping/pitching rod is built on an old G-Loomis FS904 blank 7-1/2' heavy fast, for thick cover and grass punching. My jig casting rod for ledges and humps is built on a Lamiglas HMG 50 LMB844. 7' heavy fast. I'm a fan of the Fuji ECSM reel seats. I have used a couple of the ACS (with the finger grips) they become annoying after hours of fishing IMHO.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Alpster's rod was a great one, the best I've ever owned, or fished was the Shikari FS764, or IFS764. I've been told the Liberty flipping rod blank at Get Bit is as close to that blank as anyone has gotten, but I haven't first hand knowledge.

The problem with most blanks are they are too fast, fine for feeling the fish and than world class in insuring the fish doesn't stay pinned and in the water where he belongs. You've just reared back on the rod, the fish has its mouth closed, is not pinned and start flopping around, you have just added a spring board to any action the fish does, after all it's a very short line tying you to the fish, even mono doesn't give much at this distance. 

Softer, more moderate rod blank, still feels fish well on a short line, but isn't near the spring board assisting in the bass launching out of the water while his mouth is closed, BUT the hook isn't home all the way. This isn't my opinion alone, Dee Thomas who invented flipping, Rich Forhan who learned from him and developed the Revolver Rod innovations, you finally see on rods today, even though he developed them 15 years before, Rick Clunn who used Rich's rods and developed many tackle innovations with Rich over the years, all agree with a bunch of rodbuilders/tounament anglers who read Rich's book, read his rod building articles, and listened to his and Mr. Clunn's seminars over the years.

The Alpster Lamiglas XMG rod is also a dandy as was the Certified Pro version in 7 ft. and 7'2" versions, there was an XMG 50 845, but it was a monster and just about unfishable in my opinion.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, .ghoti. said:

I used a Fuji ECS seat for that build. Wanted to save a little weight. The ECS is lighter than the MVT, which is lighter than the textouch. Kent requested a tip neutral rod. With that blank, 7'6", tip neutral would require one of two things; a stupidly long handle, or a heavy handle. Since he wanted a 10" handle, the rod needed a heavy rear end.

 

I have a rod that I built with that MVT seat. I'm a big fan of Batson products. Love the Eternity and Immortal blanks, F series guides, textouch seats, etc. my power wrapper is a Alps. But that MVT reel seat is not worth the price of admission. I put it in the same class as Fuji's Torzite guides. They are for the guy who's ego demands his toys be the most expensive.

 

21 hours ago, .ghoti. said:

I used a Fuji ECS seat for that build. Wanted to save a little weight. The ECS is lighter than the MVT, which is lighter than the textouch. Kent requested a tip neutral rod. With that blank, 7'6", tip neutral would require one of two things; a stupidly long handle, or a heavy handle. Since he wanted a 10" handle, the rod needed a heavy rear end.

 

I have a rod that I built with that MVT seat. I'm a big fan of Batson products. Love the Eternity and Immortal blanks, F series guides, textouch seats, etc. my power wrapper is a Alps. But that MVT reel seat is not worth the price of admission. I put it in the same class as Fuji's Torzite guides. They are for the guy who's ego demands his toys be the most expensive.

Thats what I was wondering on the reel seat thanks Ghoti, i have big hands so I like the fuji ecs seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree completely with spoonplugger. A mod-fast rod is a whole lot better for pitching and flipping than a fast action. And don't get me stared on x-fast action rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found myself building shorter pitching rods in the last couple years. the majority of places I fish I'm pitching with trees up over head and its to easy to get the tip of the rod stuck up in the tree. I've been slowly migrating into the high 6' range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point Blank or Phenix K2 would be my 1st two choices for this application. Well, most applications to be honest. I agree with using a blank that leans towards the slower of side of fast. I actually prefer it for MOST everything with a few exceptions. The K2 is slower for sure. Loads up so nice! Smooth flex that continues to load before the blank reaches it shut off spot. Exceptional feel. So crisp and alive. Same can be said about the Point Blanks, however they do have faster tip actions. Another incredible blank that just feels top tier. You have to fish / handle these blanks. They both have wowed me beyond anything else I've used. I have and really like the NFC IM as well. These blanks tend to be a little heavier across the board. Very nice, but didn't have that IT factor to me compared to the other two. I haven't used the HM series. The new Eternity 2 blanks sound very nice and get great feedback. I would assume they feel similar to the NFC stuff. MHX doesn't touch the Phenix K2 / UMBX, and Point Blank IMO. Obviously it's all subjective, but the MHX blanks are going to be a faster, more powerful blank compared the K2 when comparing models. I also really like the Alps graphite reel seats. They feel like what the Fuji ACS should have been. Very ergonomic and comfy. Plus they look sick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a MHX mb843 I extended to 7'2 (so basically the 873) for my jigs 1/2oz and under. Feels great with a finesse 3/8 or 1/2 football head. But it may be a little light for full size skirted 1/2oz jigs with a large trailer( total weight will probably be over 3/4oz). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing
    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    bass fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing line

    fishing reels

    fishing reels



    fish

    bass fish

    fish

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fishing
    Fishing Tips

    Fishing Tips


    fish for bass
    fish