FCPhil

True floating worm

32 posts in this topic

Hi,

 

I recently got a sample pack of 7.25 inch worms from a company called bass munitions. What I loved about the worms is that the plastic floats. When the worm is dragged horizontal on the bottom and stopped the tail will float up on it's own. 

 

Unfortunately the big retailers don't sell this brand. Anyone know another brand that has soft plastic that actually floats? I'm looking for a straight tail worm and a ribbon tail worm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Z-Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^this^^^^

Most hand pours like Roboworms, Upton Customs and Iovino worms will float, not as buoyant as Z Mans.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

'True' floating worms can be quite elusive.

For instance, the 'Zoom Trick Worm' was advertised for years as a floating worm but sinks without a hook.

For reasons unbeknown to me, most of the true high-floating worms have gone belly-up!

The highest floating worm in my experience was the "Strike King 3x Super Floating Worm".

Sadly, that worm is no longer available, not even on Amazon. 

Hand-poured worms are generally neutrally buoyant, but the Roboworm tends to sink.

If a Roboworm floats, rub off the bubblets and down she goes  :)

 

True Floating Worms That bit-the-dust (there are many more):

> Strike King 3x Super Floating Worm

> Owner 6½ “ Shaky Worm (may still be found on Amazon)

> Big Bite Squirrel Tail (may still be found on Amazon)

> Gambler Big Stick (gone)

> Gambler Giggy Stick (gone)

 

True Floating Worms Still Available Today:

> Strike King 7" ElazTech Finesse Worm (As you can see, 3x comes from Cyberflexxx)

> Strike King 4" ElazTech Finesse Worm

> Z-Man Stuff (also made of Elaztech the same as Strike King)

> Gambler 7” Floating Worm (grossly overlooked by anglers, which means it'll be next to bite-the-dust)

 

Roger

 

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the material the "Strike King 3x Super Floating Worm", was made of is now called ElaZtech and is now part of Z-Man baits. There were several other styles of baits made of the same material. Who knows if Z-Man will bring back any of the other baits. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott F said:

I believe the material the "Strike King 3x Super Floating Worm", was made of is now called ElaZtech and is now part of Z-Man baits. There were several other styles of baits made of the same material. Who knows if Z-Man will bring back any of the other baits. 

 

 

Although the material was introduced as 'Cyberflexxx', it was simultaneously referred to as

Cyberflexxx & Elaztech. Strike King who came first capitalized the "T" in ElazTech,

while Z-man who came much later, capitalized the "Z" in ElaZtech. (Does anyone wonder why?)

Meanwhile, the trade name "CyberfleXXX" (3x) had been lost in the shuffle,

and during their power struggle, Z-man referred to Elaztech as 10x.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago to make Rogers point there was a worm company Super Float that made a foam soft platic worm that floated a worm hook. We used Super Float worms as jig trailer by splitting the tail about 4". Lindy came out with a super floating phenom curl worm that also floated a hook. Both these worm caught lots of bass but only came in single colors like black, brown and purple....no laminates or blood lines or flakes so anglers didn't like the way they looked.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big bites squirrel tail float but the connection to the wider worm part where the hook goes to the floating tail is very thin and seems like it tears easy. Zman won't tear, if you know how to store and rig them they work great. Grande Bass air tail waggler also works great and can be stored with other plastics. They have a ribbed worm, fluke and regular worm that float well with the airtail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bass Assassin makes a floating worm called the Tapout. It has an air bladder in the tail that causes the worm to stand up well on a shaky head. Good color selection. 

 

The Gambler floating worm works pretty well too, but there is a limited selection of colors. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wdp said:

Bass Assassin makes a floating worm called the Tapout. It has an air bladder in the tail that causes the worm to stand up well on a shaky head. Good color selection. 

You would think that they would advertize that. It says nothing about a bladder on the description. You're right about 40 colors too. :thumbsup3:

 

Quote

Product Description

The Tapout worms have our Combo BANG scent and our liquid salt infused in them, so you know that they will work. They are a sure fire way to catch some fish! Try some TODAY!!

6″ – 20 Count
7.5″ – 12 Count

https://bassassassin.com/shop/bang-lures/tapout/

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, S. Sass said:

You would think that they would advertize that. It says nothing about a bladder on the description. You're right about 40 colors too. :thumbsup3:

 

https://bassassassin.com/shop/bang-lures/tapout/

Yeah, you'd think. I know about the air bladder (at least it looks & feels like an air bladder) cause I bought a couple packs based on a recommendation from a guy I know that guides & works at our Sportsman's Warehouse. They had some in the store. I like the colors available. Forgot to mention the impregnated scent. It's good too. 

 

They're pretty big worms too. I like using them in shallow water on a 1/16 - 1/8 oz shaky head that has a bigger 4/0 or 5/0 hook. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think power bait finesse worms are. I'm not sure if that's what they are called or if they are still available 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody ever use these!!  Brings back memories!

IMG_7004.JPG

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, h20-50 said:

Anybody ever use these!!  Brings back memories!

IMG_7004.JPG

Ho-leee cow! Yes, I used to have a couple packs of those dating back to the 80s I think. Never used them much bc they didn't cast well fishing them weightless on my ole Abu Royal Ambassadors.

 

I think I threw them away a few yrs ago when I did a big reorg of fishing stuff. They were so old that the plastic smelled awful. I figured a bass would never eat em. Lol. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can make any worm float if you own a worm blower.   Seriously, I think that I paid around $3 for mine at Dicks, but BPS and lots of other stores carry them. Look in the walleye or live bait section.   They are originally made for inflating night crawlers, but you can put a bubble of air into any plastic that you want and it will help it float. modest air bubble in the tail of a trick worm will make it stand nearly straight up.  You can make ribbon tail worms float - kinda - by injecting little bubbles of air into the thin tail.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fishes in trees said:

You can make any worm float if you own a worm blower.   Seriously, I think that I paid around $3 for mine at Dicks, but BPS and lots of other stores carry them. Look in the walleye or live bait section.   They are originally made for inflating night crawlers, but you can put a bubble of air into any plastic that you want and it will help it float. modest air bubble in the tail of a trick worm will make it stand nearly straight up.  You can make ribbon tail worms float - kinda - by injecting little bubbles of air into the thin tail.

Ok, now this sounds kinda cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Producto worms float. I don't remember for sure, I'll have to check mine again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RoLo said:

 

'True' floating worms can be quite elusive.

For instance, the 'Zoom Trick Worm' was advertised for years as a floating worm but sinks without a hook.

For reasons unbeknown to me, most of the true high-floating worms have gone belly-up!

The highest floating worm in my experience was the "Strike King 3x Super Floating Worm".

Sadly, that worm is no longer available, not even on Amazon. 

Hand-poured worms are generally neutrally buoyant, but the Roboworm tends to sink.

If a Roboworm floats, rub off the bubblets and down she goes  :)

 

True Floating Worms That bit-the-dust (there are many more):

> Strike King 3x Super Floating Worm

> Owner 6½ “ Shaky Worm (may still be found on Amazon)

> Big Bite Squirrel Tail (may still be found on Amazon)

> Gambler Big Stick (gone)

> Gambler Giggy Stick (gone)

 

True Floating Worms Still Available Today:

> Strike King 7" ElazTech Finesse Worm (As you can see, 3x comes from Cyberflexxx)

> Strike King 4" ElazTech Finesse Worm

> Z-Man Stuff (also made of Elaztech the same as Strike King)

> Gambler 7” Floating Worm (grossly overlooked by anglers, which means it'll be next to bite-the-dust)

 

Roger

 

 

 

 

 

Big bite squirrel tail is still being sold.  Saw them at several stores over the last few weeks and they are still on TW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hags Tornado is the best floating worm i have. Great on a weightless hook or a Shaky Head. Great colors and several sizes. Check out at TW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most hand pours will float unless salt impregnated. By float I mean put a worm onto the waters surface and they stay there without sinking below the surface. High floatation soft plastics must be significantly lighter than water to be buoyant or have trapped air within the plastic. The problem has always been retaining soft flexible plastic and be lighter than water. Simple test, fill a bucket or a sink with water and put your worms in it for a few hours.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ZMan Elaztech, Big Bite Squirrel Tail, Kicker Fish Hightail Holeshot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Power Team Lures finicky tickler tails float up.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rattlesnake Floating Worms were true floating worms.You can still find them in clearance bins at KMart and on ebay. They are a bit stiff and the colors selection is not the best, but they float like the dickins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    bass fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels



    fishing reels

    Fishing Tips

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fishing
    fish for bass
    fish