fishballer06

Steve Kennedy is a Greenie

I'm not sure how many of you read through the Bassmaster article showing what the top pro's used during the classic, but they highlighted what Steve Kennedy used to take second place. Check out what reels Steve is still using...

021gdixon_baits-kennedy_2_of_2.jpg?itok=

Steve Kennedy was enjoying his fishing during the Classic, all the pro's should take note.

The white swim jig was working also!

Tom

• Like 1

Pete Gluzek still uses them too.

So I CAN catch fish with an old reel weighing more than 6 oz? That can't be right... :)

I used to work with professional athletes on maintaining, modifying and customizing their equipment. One of the things that kept us busy was making their old equipment look like the latest and greatest the sponsors wanted pushed. Some guys could play with anything, and didn't care changing, others had actual technical issues, and yet others wouldn't even consider it, it just got in their heads. Biggest lesson I learned (which I kind of knew already) use what works for you. 

• Like 3

I saw that. I have two that look just as beat up and still use them. Says a lot when he could use any reel he wanted for free and picks the greenie.

I see, you talking about the Shimano green Curado reels....Steve was sponsored by Ardent a few years ago. For leader w/ braid fans notice braid with no leader!

Tom

Conroe is fairly stained if I'm not mistaken? Also no pike in Texas. :lol:

For an all around use reel, I still haven't found one I like better than a greenie.

If you watch any videos of open anglers, or Texas bass team trail tournaments, you'll recognize that these reels are still used and loved by anglers all across the country. I have two of them and they're absolute workhorses.

steve is a unique individual. he does not have any sponsors to speak of so he is not forced into using stuff that he doesn't like. he has said in the past that he shops around on ebay trying to buy as many of the green curados as he can because he likes them. he takes all of his reels and replaces all of the inner workings on a regular basis to keep them top notch. he is just as picky with his boats. he ran an old ranger for years and actually wanted to fish out of an 18 foot boat instead of the 20 and 21 footers everyone else is running. he just recently started running a basscat and I think they may even be sponsoring him now. for this classic he finally installed 2 power poles which he commented made a world of difference and he never believed he would have liked them so much.

I have a lot of respect for him. just because the industry nudges everyone in the direction of having the latest high end equipment, he doesn't subscribe to that. he uses what works for him and doesn't care what people think.

• Like 1