What to do after catching trout?

JFlynn97

Trout season just started and tomorrow I'm going to go out for the first time. I'm just not sure how to handle them once they're caught. 

As of right now, my plan was to first kill them with a strike to the head. After that, gut them (using this video as reference). After that, put them into a cooler with ice until I get home to cook them. 

I also heard that it can be a good idea to put them in individual sandwich bags and then on to the ice, instead of putting them straight on the ice. Is that a good idea?

Does that sound like a good plan? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

I have always just kept them on a stringer till I got to the truck then in a cooler.

To gut them I just cut the head off, make a slit up the gut then take the entrails out.

After that I put a couple small cubes of butter with lemon pepper garlic salt and onion salt in the cavity. Wrap up in aluminum foil and throw on the grill or coals of a fire for 15 to 30 minutes depending on the size of the fish and how hot the fire is. 

Hope this helps. 

2 minutes ago, BigShew2 said:

I have always just kept them on a stringer till I got to the truck then in a cooler.

To gut them I just cut the head off, make a slit up the gut then take the entrails out.

After that I put a couple small cubes of butter with lemon pepper garlic salt and onion salt in the cavity. Wrap up in aluminum foil and throw on the grill or coals of a fire for 15 to 30 minutes depending on the size of the fish and how hot the fire is. 

Hope this helps. 

Oh I forgot to mention I don't have a stringer. 

Either keep them alive or get them on ice as soon as possible and you'll be fine.  Never heard of the ziplock bag thing, never found it necessary.

1 hour ago, JFlynn97 said:

they are only a dollar or two at walmart. the only time i use a zip lock bag is to store them in the freezer in a little bit of salt water - not sure why but thats what my uncle taught me

• Super User

Best to clean them immediately and put in the cooler.  Only time to keep them alive is if you are going to cook them at camp or right on the beach.  One thing to consider is they do best not being drug around behind a yak or canoe.  A hole in the lower jaw works better than threw the gills

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I release them without touching them if possible. They're a blast to catch, but I wouldn't feed that nasty mess to my dog. Just a colorful shad to me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JFlynn97 said:

You just need some rope and you can make your own stringer. Tie the rope through the first trouts fills so it doesn't fall off then thread the rope through the gills and mouth of every fish after that.

if I'm going to keep the trout I'll put them on a stringer until the end of the day then gut them and put them on a bag then on ice or cook them if I'm camping.

A FISH BASKET with the floating lid they stay alive a lot longer and you don't have to fuss with the stringer. Berkley make one for about 5 to 7 bucks.

If you can fit it in a sandwich bag it really should be released,lol, sorry but there ain't much to a 9inch trout. Cut into fillets I can see but not whole. I see it too much, people with 5, 6inchers in a ziplock, breaks my heart, wait till they are at least 12(personally I will occasionally keep a 14-16 if I absolutely have to,everything else is sent packing).

• Super User

If you talk to anyone in meat packing industry, they most likely will tell you that fish is just like a quart of milk. Treat it that way - IF you want an edible product. Kill, gut/clean and put on ice as soon as possible. I've seen some guys out lake fishing that put their fish in a "live well", which is just a bucket of water. At the end of the day, they claim that all those dead fish - floating belly up in their "live well" - will eat just fine. Give me a break. I would feed them to a dog. Trout are especially fragile that way. Take care of them and the eating will just fine.